Tova

Toggle "Panic Mode" for AI

You may have noticed that in the civilian presence module, there an option to "enable panic" for the civilians.

Basically, it change the units animation set : they move while protecting their heads with their hands in a panicky fashion.

I managed to trigger this behavior for players with :

player switchMove "ApanPercMstpSnonWnonDnon_ApanPknlMstpSnonWnonDnon"

Which make the player crouch in panic mode and change all animations to their panic mode counterpart.

This is a dirty workaround that doesn't work for AI units, so how should I do it properly ?

On 9/29/2018 at 10:32 PM, Tova said:

You may have noticed that in the civilian presence module, there an option to "enable panic" for the civilians.

Basically, it change the units animation set : they move while protecting their heads with their hands in a panicky fashion.

I managed to trigger this behavior for players with :

player switchMove "ApanPercMstpSnonWnonDnon_ApanPknlMstpSnonWnonDnon"

Which make the player crouch in panic mode and change all animations to their panic mode counterpart.

This is a dirty workaround that doesn't work for AI units, so how should I do it properly ?

Bit late but I found this while doing my own digging.

Source: "A3\Modules_F_Tacops\Ambient\CivilianPresence\FSM\behavior.fsm"

if (_usePanicMode) then {_this playAction "Panic"};

This action is not listed on the Wiki.

After a bit of testing I found this works best with an unarmed person with the following applied for a panic run:

_unit setBehaviour "CARELESS";
_unit disableAI "FSM";
_unit setUnitPosWeak "UP";
_unit playAction "Panic";

For a panicked crouch run try:

_unit setBehaviour "CARELESS";
_unit disableAI "FSM";
_unit setUnitPos "MIDDLE";
_unit playAction "Panic";
sleep 5;
_unit setUnitPosWeak "UP";
_unit setUnitPos "AUTO";

To get the unit back to the standard animation set use: Scratch that, seems to lock the AI in place. So far I've found no good way to switch the AI back to a default behaviour.

_unit enableAI "FSM";
_unit setUnitPos "AUTO";
_unit setUnitPosWeak "AUTO";
_unit playAction "Default";

Now I've only done some quick and dirty testing on this so there might be a better way to do it and there might be unexpected behaviour.

Edited by mrcurry
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mrcurry said:

After a bit of testing I found this works best with an unarmed person with the following applied for a panic run:

It would be interesting to see this on a armed AI to simulate FEAR at his apex. There are already few scripts out there for morale, but it would be fun to see enemy troops run in panic after you bomb the hell out of them for example....or it could be a discriminating value for "regular" over "FANATIC" troops/insurgents.

On 5/5/2019 at 2:44 AM, mrcurry said:

Scratch that, seems to lock the AI in place. So far I've found no good way to switch the AI back to a default behaviour.

Has anyone ever found a solution to this?  

I'm having the same problem right now where once you put a unit in panic mode via _unit playAction "Panic"; there is no way to return them to normal non-panic behaviour.

5 hours ago, johnnyboy said:

_unit playAction "Panic"; there is no way to return them to normal non-panic behaviour.

Good old _unit switchMove "" works if you're OK with unsmooth transition.

Wait.. I didn't test AI, only player. 😶

16 hours ago, johnnyboy said:

Has anyone ever found a solution to this?  

I'm having the same problem right now where once you put a unit in panic mode via _unit playAction "Panic"; there is no way to return them to normal non-panic behaviour.

Thats strange as that command doesnt work for me -what does it do?

I use _unit switchMove "ApanPercMstpSnonWnonDnon_ApanPknlMstpSnonWnonDnon" - to create the "cover your ears and run away!!!" - animation and the switchmove "" does disable it

• Like 1

On 9/16/2021 at 5:31 PM, RCA3 said:

Good old _unit switchMove "" works if you're OK with unsmooth transition.

Thanks RCA3.  I think it only worked for me temporarily (guy stood up), then a second later he resumed panicing.  I've moved on from this script now, so not 100% sure if what I reported is correct.  If I go back and try this again I will update this thread with that info.

On 9/17/2021 at 5:58 AM, froggyluv said:

Thats strange as that command doesnt work for me -what does it do?

It makes the guy stay in crouched panic mode.  One funny thing is that guy's stance will return "UNDEFINED" while in panic mode while prone, crouched, or upright.  Anyway I was unable to break him out of this mode.

On 9/17/2021 at 5:58 AM, froggyluv said:

use _unit switchMove "ApanPercMstpSnonWnonDnon_ApanPknlMstpSnonWnonDnon" - to create the "cover your ears and run away!!!" - animation and the switchmove "" does disable it

Thanks, I may resort to that if I return to this particular script.

• Like 1