Αplion

HAFM NAVY (Ships) - v2.0

That isn't as easy as it sounds.  I would like to look at the CIWS script to determine how it works so as to determine how to separate friendly from "enemy" launches.  It all depends how the AI behavior is configured by the missile launch.  One could remove the missile object from the "shoot list" but that makes certain assumptions as to how it is ordered in whatever script(s) control the CIWS behavior.  One could make a check for a certain type of missile, so that all harpoons for example are ignored by BLUFOR, but again many assumptions would have to be made depending on how the script is configured. 

Not so easy to make the AI behave like you want them to in this game.

Regardless, everything looks really nice, no matter what other people are requesting!  😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The CIWS is a script itself that scan the surrounding area and launch a counter-missle or make the cannon shoot at it, as there's no other way than scripting to delete missles and other shell-like objects, and as such is likely not controlled by an AI, by a quick look it should be handled by the CIWS_Search.sqf script in the scripts folder of the HAFM_Navy_core that is then passed via a CBA call on HAFM_fnc_CIWS_Attack, so provided that the firing ship add a variable to the object, it shouldn't be hard to just remove the object if it's allied-fired, i would try to play with the "Ship CIWS" variable to see if it can be set to manual before launching so I can get the cinematic effect of a full-fledged coastal missle bombing meanwhile

the cruise missile guidance system on the subs and the additional UI control panels are very impressive, good job

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello, a suggestion here, could you increase the amount of ammo the ships and submarines use, i know it cant be too realistic but the amounts are small. Thanks

if we make it realistic, then there will be no need to the resuply ship as in reality those ships carry so much ammo that you cannot spend in a coop mission

Hello HAFM, hope I'm not bothering too much with requests. I was wondering what else you have in store down the road. I have a few suggestions.

Also, would it be possible to customize the ship hull numbers like the liberty, rather than having the same identical ships all around. Thanks...

Hello ! I really wanted the ticonderoga class so I decided to do it, the truth is that I already have 60-70% of the ship, but I wanted to know if you could give me a hand. I'm not very expert, I've only been editing it for 2 days, I do my best, I see what it takes to do it. Still, i was  editing the Ohio class and the Typhoon. I hope you read it. Thank you !! Sorry for my english.

Hi. This is a fantastic mod. Adds a lot of missing content to the game. 

To that end; have you seen the recent mod for sonar that was made- 

?

Would you be interested in adding it**** as a supplementary function to the mod? I don't mind helping with implementing.

***(with written permission from the author, obviously!)

that one is a side-scan sonar (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Side-scan_sonar)  to make image of sea surface. That is not the type of sonar used in military ships (except mine-sweepers) and submarines. Actually we had to use this waterfall sonar display but I am not sure if everybody can read that one 🙂

• Like 1

Hello :wave:

I am investigating a serious Arma performance issue (FPS drop from 50+ down to 9fps) and found out that its your mod causing this.

For one, your HAFM_fnc_ShipAntiMissileRadar is constantly spamming setVariable and sending them over the network causing considerable network traffic.

It should be your ShipRadar.sqf here:

_Ship Setvariable ["Ship Anti-Missile Radar Targets", _Targets, true];
_Ship Setvariable ["Ship Anti-Missile Radar Target Details", _TargData, true];

I'd recommend only doing that setVariable, if the _targets and _targData is actually different from what was already stored on the object.

You are repeatedly re-sending the same variable values over the network.

Same goes for these

_Ship Setvariable ["Ship Anti-Missile Selected Target ID", _forEachIndex, true];
_Ship Setvariable ["Ship Auto-Defence Fire", true, true];

And there are lots of more setVariable with public flag set in your script, please stop doing that.

I just collected the network traffic, and for my game running for 7 minutes, only being in the briefing screen, that means the mission didn't even start yet. Your script function sent roughly 100MB of networking data, thats about 30KB/s of traffic of you just repeatedly sending the ever same not changing variables over the network.

Also I'm just in mission briefing screen, I didn't even launch the mission yet, and your HAFM_fnc_ShipAntiMissileRadar function runs 6 times every frame, for a total of 13 milliseconds per frame absolutely tanking FPS.

When I go from the briefing screen to actually being ingame, your function is running 9 times per frame for 18 milliseconds per frame.

I think the main performance impact is you doing

_Ship nearObjects ["Missilecore", _Range]

Also your select with non lazy-eval isKindOf is pretty inefficient and due to it running unscheduled will cause performance issues too.

Is there a way to simply disable this feature? I would prefer if I can play Arma without FPS and networking performance being shredded by this, and I need something I can tell the people reporting this issue to me and blaming Arma for it.

I just did a quick poll and within 5 minues of asking around I found 3 milsim units that told me they were using HAFM navy in the past, but had to drop it from their modpack because it tanked their server FPS.

That was probably this same issue.

If I may suggest a way to improve this.

Instead of repeatedly scanning missiles around your ship every frame, how about you just use CBA to add a global Fired eventhandler, and then just track all missiles that get fired.

If they don't fly in the direction of any ship, you can stop tracking them.

That way instead of checking every frame if there is a missile in flight towards your ship, you only actually check if there actually is currently a missile flying around (which is relatively rare).

But be careful with the fired eventhandler, especially when you also add it to units and it fires when a player for example fires a minigun, you need to write very performant code and make sure you exit the eventhandler as soon as possible when you detect that the fired projectile is not a missile.

• Like 6

Confirming the drops for few seconds, and now I know why..

And also I just tried to improve ship simulation performance and got this:

vmware_2021-01-18_17-17-21.png

The water/land collision checks will be more efficient if you add a land contact level. that will improve fps.

The collision thing was the second performance issue I found, next to the script. I'll assume that its just related to the missing land contact.

As you don't have one, it has to check 303 verticies in your geometry lod for whether there is water collision, if you had land contact its only between 2 and 4 verticies to check.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

by the way, if I had a wish for navy stuff from BI it would be the missile model which can move inside water without explosion as at the moment we are pushing an sdv around to create a torpedo.. Missile model with nonstop thrust would be better but it explodes when it touches to sea surface

1 hour ago, Devastator_cm said:

Missile model with nonstop thrust would be better but it explodes when it touches to sea surface

Feel free to make a feedback tracker ticket.
If its just about disabling a "if in water then explode" check, that should be easy to add a config option for.

Edit:

Here some more errors from our internal build. I don't really know what they mean. I think the first two will solve itself when you repack the mod with new binarize.exe

18:25:24 hafm_navy\hafm_gunboat\parts.p3d: Model has different version of physx serialization. Model: 0x03040000, current: 0x04010100.
18:25:24 hafm_navy\hafm_gunboat\parts.p3d: Model has different version of physx serialization. Model: 0x03040000, current: 0x04010100.
18:25:24 hafm_navy\hafm_gunboat\parts.p3d: No geometry and no visual shape while trying to check property cratercolor
18:25:24 a3\data_f\proxies\flags\flag_alone.p3d: No geometry and no visual shape while trying to check property cratercolor
18:25:24 Selection missing in CfgModels
18:25:24   class hafm_gunboat
18:25:24     "hull",
18:25:24     "turretF",
18:25:24     "gunF",
18:25:24     "turretB",
18:25:24     "gunB",

Edit 2: And one more, I think you can check these yourself by using the Arma dev branch diag binary

vmware_2021-01-18_18-35-10.png

Edit 3:

I made a engine change to optimize the collision checks concerning that landcontact thing above, it will be much faster now but you'll still wanna optimize that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 1/10/2021 at 3:30 AM, coldlion32 said:

Hello ! I really wanted the ticonderoga class so I decided to do it, the truth is that I already have 60-70% of the ship, but I wanted to know if you could give me a hand. I'm not very expert, I've only been editing it for 2 days, I do my best, I see what it takes to do it. Still, i was  editing the Ohio class and the Typhoon. I hope you read it. Thank you !! Sorry for my english.

Hello, will you be releasing this when you're done making it?

ticonderoga is not in our roadmap m8. In case you have the model importable to arma, most likely Aplion might check it and if that is fine we can include it in this mod pack

On 2/6/2021 at 9:01 AM, beebah said:

Hello, will you be releasing this when you're done making it?

As I was saying, I'm really new to editing, so this is my advance on 3 days editing (obviusly it´s far away to be done), i had to stop beacuse i start working, Yes i want to realese this project public, but i need help ! i want ti put a image but doesn't allow me !

https://www.mediafire.com/file/pav9ebu8l0yj0pw/Ticonderoga.rar/file

Confirming ones we spawn few ships our server FPS goes from 90FPS to 1FPS and stays there until we kill the ships 

On 3/26/2021 at 5:27 AM, omon said:

Confirming ones we spawn few ships our server FPS goes from 90FPS to 1FPS and stays there until we kill the ships 

I haven't had this. Have you checked your spawn script to see if there's something you've done that's doing this? Perhaps spawning loops that bog everything down?

• Confused 1