Sign in to follow this  
Harnu

How low do you fly?

Just a quick question for all of you. When in OFPMP, how low do you fly? With choppers I'm almost always below 30 when entering a combat area. fly at 10 or below if I know there's enemy AA in the area. And in Planes I go upwards of 1000.

So just real quickly, How low (or high) do you fly?

About same as you, 30 generally in choppers (clears all trees) less than 10 if AA about, keeping it above 3 at all times or under bridges, planes - up and down all the time ...

I am the mad pilot at our clan. I use no joystick on mixed missions, and level the helo at 5 to 15 at sppeds to 200 and planes at 30 - 40 depending on terrain and enemy presence.

I am rather good with light helos but the chinook for example cant be flown in 5 -15 with buildings and trees and hills. It takes to long to gain attitude and it mass movement is hard to direct into other directions when you are at travelling speed.

I should also mention that I fly with 3rd person view off.

Sometimes this can be a bit tricky when doing quick landings with the helos as you need to stay very aware what is underneath your helo with no chance of actually seeing it.

Anyway I like it to the max and if you have a copilot that rteads the map for you you can max out the terrain following flight up to 220 km/h at heights of 7-10. Even going throuh towns and villages or between trees is fun and possible.

I also should mention that i use the tail rotor a lot to steer the bunny not only at landings.

Designated LZ's are nice.  Cuase then youk now where you're going and what to expect.  IMO, flying low is a lot easier to do in 1st person, and a lot more realistic.  Landing can be tricky,  but thats why I like to slow down from however fast I go (Sometimes upwards of +200) to about 130-150.  Then just whip the tail out in front and BAM! 0 speed, easy landing.  The trickiest places to land are on small plateus, like on Northern nogova.  That takes a bit of skill to do quickly.

Oh ya, Mouse and Keyboard all the way! biggrin.gif

Well i manly do evac and insert flying with helos i stay low and very fast with no enemys near but if enemys present on the way there i stay up high and fast and tend to zig zag. For planes the same but i still love flying em less then 15 meters for the fun!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (TaNK_Em @ Dec. 23 2002,21:31)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Well i manly do evac and insert flying with helos i stay low and very fast with no enemys near but if enemys present on the way there i stay up high and fast and tend to zig zag. For planes the same but i still love flying em less then 15 meters for the fun!<span id='postcolor'>

Tank_em, shouldn't you do it the other wat around? The whole purpose of flying low is to avoid detection, shouldn't you do that with enemies present? And fly high when there is none?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Balschoiw @ Dec. 23 2002,12:34)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I am the mad pilot at our clan. I use no joystick on mixed missions, and level the helo at 5 to 15 at sppeds to 200 and planes at 30 - 40 depending on terrain and enemy presence.

I am rather good with light helos but the chinook for example cant be flown in 5 -15 with buildings and trees and hills. It takes to long to gain attitude and it mass movement is hard to direct into other directions when you are at travelling speed.

I should also mention that I fly with 3rd person view off.

Sometimes this can be a bit tricky when doing quick landings with the helos as you need to stay very aware what is underneath your helo with no chance of actually seeing it.

Anyway I like it to the max and if you have a copilot that rteads the map for you you can max out the terrain following flight up to 220 km/h at heights of 7-10. Even going throuh towns and villages or between trees is fun and possible.

I also should mention that i use the tail rotor a lot to steer the bunny not only at landings.<span id='postcolor'>

I do the exact same... but I like to fly the chinook low smile.gif

The oh58 is a little harder for me

The Kiowa is a slippery little pig. Can get real hard to control like the V-80.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Harnu @ Dec. 23 2002,17:52)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (TaNK_Em @ Dec. 23 2002,21:31)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Well i manly do evac and insert flying with helos i stay low and very fast with no enemys near but if enemys present on the way there i stay up high and fast and tend to zig zag. For planes the same but i still love flying em less then 15 meters for the fun!<span id='postcolor'>

Tank_em, shouldn't you do it the other wat around?  The whole purpose of flying low is to avoid detection, shouldn't you do that with enemies present?  And fly high when there is none?<span id='postcolor'>

I fly low when inserting because i can be real low and going over 90 in a blackhawk when i land i am already close to the ground and it doesnt take as long. But when high i have to keep the balence right and shit and it takes longer to land. I fly either way depends what is needed in the mission i can fly low or high in any situation and make it out easly wink.gif

When I'm in a helo im just above the tree tops being careful not to hit any trees. When im in a jet or a plane im just within site of the ground so that I can recognize the terrain and find my way around. It's also good for not losing the island and getting lost at sea.

I'll fly next to forests between trees whenever I can.

I'm flight leader of my clan...I just fly depending on terrain and enemy presence. If there are any AA contacts in the area, i would fly very high as to know when the missile is coming, therefore i can do a quick dodge.

When I'm doing extracts or drop-offs, then I fly quite low if the land is flat...and to hell with the enemy firing...thats very easy to dodge. When I want to do a very quick extract or drop-off, I fly very low as to get into Autohover quickly and land in a few seconds.

I would recommend flying higher for beginners though. smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Harnu @ Dec. 23 2002,23:13)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The Kiowa is a slippery little pig.  Can get real hard to control like the V-80.<span id='postcolor'>

hmm...i always thought the Kiowas and the MH-6's were very easy to control. No problems with them...you can do some very nice turns with the keyboard if needed. But i agree...the V-80 however, is a very hard little thing to control...keeps rocking about. smile.gif

if you include the littlebirds and other similar addons, i go as low as possible...as fast as possible, the LB i tend to take down to 2m, which tends to scare my passengers (some ppl scare too easy! lol...quote Shashman, also from SWAF "turn!!" ..."TREE!!!".."watch out!"..."bloody hell acid wtf are you doin?!?!?" "do you like the smell of grass or somthing?!?" biggrin.gif)

then to stop, quick flick to the left or right with full rudder 200-0 in seconds biggrin.gif

sod the joystick! keyboard tounge.gif

i fly usually at 2-3 over sea and 5-7 over level terrain with trees.

I always do realistic landings with a slow flare but i tend to pick LZ where i'm covered from the LZ by a ridge or cliff. then i can slow down and pick my spot (no wind in OFP so i don't need to account for that) and i come straight in, i usually don't touch down but just hover gently so like in real life (to avoid mines) but that's quite hard in OFP.

I've never crashed a helo in a multiplayer game - just got blasted out the sky!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Scorpio @ Dec. 24 2002,10:44)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I'm flight leader of my clan...I just fly depending on terrain and enemy presence. If there are any AA contacts in the area, i would fly very high as to know when the missile is coming, therefore i can do a quick dodge.

When I'm doing extracts or drop-offs, then I fly quite low if the land is flat...and to hell with the enemy firing...thats very easy to dodge. When I want to do a very quick extract or drop-off, I fly very low as to get into Autohover quickly and land in a few seconds.

I would recommend flying higher for beginners though. smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Do you fly in third person? Cause in first person, unless they are shooting AA from infront of you, you can't see jack till it hits.

I fly as low as it can go. Forget the big birds, give me the small little choppers and I'm gone! Littlebird's and oh-58's all the way!

That littlebird addon is great cause on one, I think you can fit like 6 players on it for a quick drop off.

The little ones are SO easy to maneuver and get in tight areas. Very responsive to those that know how to control them.

I usually fly blackhawks about 20m to avoid trees, pull a turn, whip out that tail, and bring it down nice n easy.

And there's nothing like taking a blackhawk w/ machine gun and circling over a city. Scares the hell outta the people on the ground below.

I always fly between the trees, rocks, valleys, etc. As as I can, to avoid radar contact. Even with planes. If you practice, you can fly with anything anywhere...

To quick troop dropdown, I always fly between the trees, and I go up to 50-55 if dropzone is coming. Then everybody jumps out, and lands safe. If they have shoot, I'll be waiting for them at respawn position hovering above the ground ~10cm.. wink.gif

CU! Happy New Year!

I fly at 40 Altitude with full speed because its the best way to kill peoples if u have a side gunner smile.gif

Can any of you guys Emergency-land on OFP?

I tried forever trying to land w/out any fuel, but even the most smooth landing turns the poor pilot into a BBQ.

(What I do is I push on the stick a bit to gain speed, and when I'm a bit low, I simply pull the stick and lose speed and rate of descent. When my rate of descent is good but the speed is fast, I rotate 180d to lose speed.)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Hit_Sqd_Maximus @ Jan. 02 2003,00:58)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">are u talking about multiplayer or coop/single player?<span id='postcolor'>

Multiplayer. Hence why this is in the multiplayer forum smile.gif

And Yamato, I can't really crash land. If you lose all fuel or rotors, then your just about done for most of the time.

Flying low is nice, useful too, and shows you have a lot of good reflexes and skill... but there's a lot of other things you can do in a chopper when flying that make it useful. Masking behind hills while you hover only to pop up and fire at radar-locked targets is one of my favorites. For those cheap multiplayer servers where choppers respawn AND you get parachutes, being able to ditch a helo and drop the helo right onto the head of the enemy is useful.

But hey I can fly low and fast (and keep a post on topic)... If I'm crossing water it doesn't really matte rhow high you fly, but somewhere around 30m @ 300+ is pretty standard. Enough altitude to see well, enough speed to haul.

Flying over mostly not-hot areas is done just above treeline because there's no need to risk crashing into some pines. Speed is probably 200-ish.

Flying where it's hot is all about puttin' it on the deck and flying nap of the earth. Actually not that hard to do since OFP will let a chopper fly at a constant altitude above the ground no matter how the ground rolls even if you take your hands off the keyboard and mouse (try it sometime). Flying fast below the trees takes a lot of practice though, and I can say that when I'm below treeline on moderately wooded areas I'm only flying 150-180 to make sure I don't put it headfirst into the ground or some branches.

Keyboard and mouse forever!!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">For those cheap multiplayer servers where choppers respawn AND you get parachutes, being able to ditch a helo and drop the helo right onto the head of the enemy is useful.<span id='postcolor'>

Hell man, it's great to have paracutes and respawn! Atleast on Public servers it is tounge.gif What do you mean you get parachutes on cheap servers? Doesn't just about everyone who boards a military helo get a parachute unless they're riding cargo and will be dropped by landing?