the_one_and_only_Venator

Changealbe magazine models for ArmA 3 weapons

Dear developers,

some mods like 'NIArms' by toadie2K feature diffrent magazine models for one weapon dependant on which magazine is actually loaded.

That reminds me a lot of the proxy magazine models of the dynamic loadout feature for aircraft which has been implemented with the Jets DLC.

Since this seems to be technically possible would you be able to introduce this feature to the existing ArmA 3 weapons?

I don't know however what toadie2k did to get this working.

I imagine something like having a memory point at the center of the first bullet in the mag and a direction the bullet is facing and another direction the bullets are feeded from. That way it should be possible to load every mag into every weapon and get reasonably good results. It would probably even allow to put a 30 Round mag sideways into a beltfeeded machinegun.

There would probably be some clipping issues when putting magazines into weapons that were not supposed to feature them before but I'm fine with that.

I think this would be an awesome addition to the game and I really hope this can be done.

Especially weapons that feature multiple sizes of magazines within its series would benefit from it like the Spar, Car-95 and MX series of weapons.

Thanks a lot

Venator

On 9/22/2018 at 3:50 AM, the_one_and_only_Venator said:

Dear developers,

some mods like 'NIArms' by toadie2K feature diffrent magazine models for one weapon dependant on which magazine is actually loaded.

That reminds me a lot of the proxy magazine models of the dynamic loadout feature for aircraft which has been implemented with the Jets DLC.

Since this seems to be technically possible would you be able to introduce this feature to the existing ArmA 3 weapons?

I don't know however what toadie2k did to get this working.

I imagine something like having a memory point at the center of the first bullet in the mag and a direction the bullet is facing and another direction the bullets are feeded from. That way it should be possible to load every mag into every weapon and get reasonably good results. It would probably even allow to put a 30 Round mag sideways into a beltfeeded machinegun.

There would probably be some clipping issues when putting magazines into weapons that were not supposed to feature them before but I'm fine with that.

I think this would be an awesome addition to the game and I really hope this can be done.

Especially weapons that feature multiple sizes of magazines within its series would benefit from it like the Spar, Car-95 and MX series of weapons.

Thanks a lot

Venator

I dont know much about it myself but i have heard whispers among multiple modding communities im in that Proxymagazines could work for guns too. May want to ask around the reddit perhaps if nobody knows for sure here

On 24.9.2018 at 11:22 PM, LykosMactire said:

im in that Proxymagazines could work for guns too

Yes they do. magazineProxies. Actually I don't know what else they work for besides guns.

NiArms has a special implementation though. They are basically replacing the entire weapon via script. They only partly switched over to magazine proxies.

Here is the preliminary documentation on it https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hbvofPPSUX4IqXuhRnqdjX9EtQbIiaEm/view

3 hours ago, Dedmen said:

Yes they do. magazineProxies. Actually I don't know what else they work for besides guns.

NiArms has a special implementation though. They are basically replacing the entire weapon via script. They only partly switched over to magazine proxies.

Here is the preliminary documentation on it https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hbvofPPSUX4IqXuhRnqdjX9EtQbIiaEm/view

Would it be possible to implement it for vanilla weapons as a Mod? Or do the devs have to do it?

I think rocket launchers like the RPG-7 would also benefit from it a lot.

46 minutes ago, the_one_and_only_Venator said:

Would it be possible to implement it for vanilla weapons as a Mod?

No, you would need to edit the weapon models which isn't something addon makers can do with the Vanilla A3 weapons.

You can assign proxy models to the BIS magazine classes via config, but they would only show on community weapons that have have a proxy position for the magazine inside the weapon model, and accept the BIS magazines.

3 hours ago, da12thMonkey said:

No, you would need to edit the weapon models which isn't something addon makers can do with the Vanilla A3 weapons.

You can assign proxy models to the BIS magazine classes via config, but they would only show on community weapons that have have a proxy position for the magazine inside the weapon model, and accept the BIS magazines.

So there is nothing we can do other than just hope that they read this and actually do it, I guess ?

14 hours ago, the_one_and_only_Venator said:

So there is nothing we can do other than just hope that they read this and actually do it, I guess ?

Pretty much.

Though tbh, there aren't that many mag varieties in Arma anyway, all the 5.56 stanags are the same, all the 6.5 mags (bar the 100 round version) all look the same, the Katiba mags only go into that weapon.. 

It would only make sense for the 100 rounds MX version, as it can fit the 30 rounds mag as well. But this is also good: Means only few weapons need to be edited, so it might be in the realms of possibility for BI.

• Like 2

On 9/28/2018 at 8:56 AM, lexx said:

It would only make sense for the 100 rounds MX version, as it can fit the 30 rounds mag as well. But this is also good: Means only few weapons need to be edited, so it might be in the realms of possibility for BI.

This and also SPAR-16 variants and beta c-mag.

• Like 2

They would have to edit all models of 5.56 weapons like MK20, TRG-21 and SPAR-16.

Remembering that it has the same model only with different camouflage (Mk20 and SPAR-16), short and long barrel and models with grenade launchers.

4 hours ago, snakeplissken said:

They would have to edit all models of 5.56 weapons like MK20, TRG-21 and SPAR-16.

Remembering that it has the same model only with different camouflage (Mk20 and SPAR-16), short and long barrel and models with grenade launchers.

I think it would be worth it though.

• Like 1