JB47394

Where is the ARMA stringtable?

I've looked high and low for the stringtable for the standard ARMA strings and can't find a thing.  According to the documentation, it's found at \res\bin\stringtable.csv, which isn't a lot of help.  I have no stringtable.csv on my computer, and all the stringtable.xml files are either for a mod or for my mission.

I want to be able to use a localized string from the stringtable, but have no way of knowing which key it has been stored under.

Awesome.  Thanks to your post, was able to fish around and eventually find the keys I was looking for.

The wiki could certainly use an update.

On 21.9.2018 at 5:00 PM, JB47394 said:

The wiki could certainly use an update.

which wiki page? and where on that page?

I am guessing he means:

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Stringtable.xml

Though it looks fine to me.

On 9/21/2018 at 4:00 PM, JB47394 said:

Awesome.  Thanks to your post, was able to fish around and eventually find the keys I was looking for.

Key can be anything. As the Wiki states.

When were these added? :shrug:

Turkish

Swedish

Slovak

SerboCroatian

Norwegian

Icelandic

Hungarian

Greek

Finnish

Dutch

The only thing that should be updated on the that Wiki page is the example mistake at bottom:

// Server-side
if (isServer) then {
	["str_myTag_myMessage","TAG_fnc_localHint"] call BIS_fnc_MP;	// Arma 2
	["str_myTag_myMessage"] remoteExecCall ["TAG_fnc_localHint"];	// Arma 3
};

I have corrected it on the Wiki page now though.

On 9/27/2018 at 3:44 AM, Dedmen said:

which wiki page? and where on that page?

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/localize

Which says that the keys look up translations in stringtable.csv or stringtable.xml - which is an incomplete statement.  It will also return strings from the stringtable.xml files in various language_f pbos and, I assume, from mods.  An explanation of the location of the language_f pbos would also be helpful so that people don't have to go wandering the hills looking for them.  I only survive by using Everything.

There's also

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Stringtable.csv

Which is where I found the mention of a 'global string table' called \res\bin\stringtable.csv,.

Replacing original game texts

It is possible to replace every message of the original game by editing the global stringtable.csv file (in \res\bin\stringtable.csv). (Some messages, like addon names some GUI texts, briefing chapters (Plan, Notes, Gear, Group), etc. cannot be changed via the stringtable.csv though).

On 9/29/2018 at 6:10 PM, JB47394 said:

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/localize

Which says that the keys look up translations in stringtable.csv or stringtable.xml - which is an incomplete statement.  It will also return strings from the stringtable.xml files in various language_f pbos and, I assume, from mods.  An explanation of the location of the language_f pbos would also be helpful so that people don't have to go wandering the hills looking for them.  I only survive by using Everything.

There's also

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Stringtable.csv

Which is where I found the mention of a 'global string table' called \res\bin\stringtable.csv,.

It also does not say that it won't search PBOs. There are stringtable.xml files in PBOs.

\res\bin\stringtable.csv

This is from OFP. Back then, they were CSV files, today's ArmA standards use xml files. CSV will still work but is outdated.

On 29.9.2018 at 7:10 PM, JB47394 said:

Which says that the keys look up translations in stringtable.csv or stringtable.xml - which is an incomplete statement.  It will also return strings from the stringtable.xml files in various language_f pbos and, I assume, from mods.

Well it loads stringtable from any folder.
Shortening that to "it loads stringtable" seems reasonable.. doesn't it?

It's the same as with config files.

• Like 1

On 10/1/2018 at 3:53 PM, HazJ said:

It also does not say that it won't search PBOs

The purpose of documentation is to allow readers to understand concepts not to avoid omitting information.

On 10/2/2018 at 4:18 AM, Dedmen said:

Shortening that to "it loads stringtable" seems reasonable.. doesn't it?

How about explaining the process that localize goes through?  In what order are files checked/loaded? Mission, mod, system?  Are all PBOs that are loaded by ARMA candidates for providing a stringtable.xml? Can I override a system stringtable by using the same key in my mission or mod stringtable.xml?  Can I add to the language choices for a different PBO's keys?

There is a conceptual framework for how localize works with stringtables and that's what the wiki should be articulating.

@JB47394

You seem really inclined for this... Here's an idea! Why not do some testing, research then add to the community Wiki yourself?

• Like 2

I have another idea.  It involves Bohemia documenting their product so that their paying customers don't have to do their job for them, expending countless man years of testing and researching trying to comprehend a badly-designed black box of haphazard functionality - instead of spending that time building up functionality on top of the base product,  enhancing its appeal for everyone in the community.

But that's just me.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

5 hours ago, JB47394 said:

I have another idea.  It involves Bohemia documenting their product so that their paying customers don't have to do their job for them, expending countless man years of testing and researching trying to comprehend a badly-designed black box of haphazard functionality - instead of spending that time building up functionality on top of the base product,  enhancing its appeal for everyone in the community.

But that's just me.

Show me another game that uses their own in house designed engine and has a wiki populated with as much info as Bohemia's and i'll agree with that statement

• Like 1

On 10/9/2018 at 11:34 AM, JB47394 said:

But that's just me.

I think you misunderstand the fact that it is a community wiki. It isn't their job to document anything. RV Engine isn't like Unreal/Unity. It's for BI products with modding/scripting support.

23 hours ago, HazJ said:

It isn't their job to document anything.

Who is "they" in this context?

Bohemia Interactive.

On 10/9/2018 at 11:34 AM, JB47394 said:

I have another idea.  It involves Bohemia documenting their product so that their paying customers don't have to do their job for them

But that's just me.

It is a community wiki... They don't have to do sh*t. lol

I think you missed the meaning of my post and I invite you to read it again.

nah cba

Thanks for offer though. You are just complaining as you had to do a little more research. Then you start complaining over nothing. The fact is simple, BI don't have to add anything to wiki.

On 09/10/2018 at 11:34 AM, JB47394 said:

But that's just me.

Great job, topic is now locked! (Sarcasm)

It is a community wiki..

THIS ^

By and for the Community. Take the entitledness elsewhere. 

• Like 2