Sign in to follow this  
Sgt. Epic

I want to learn how to make new units

I wish to learn how to mod unit properly.

Is there any guide or thread that can help me with the first steps regarding this matter?

Thanks ahead.

• Like 2

Head over to this thread

It’s a great place to start. BI has a great wiki, linked in this thread.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ziv b said:

properly.

First post ?!

Welcome also to BIS Forums ziv b !  

• Like 1

On 9/19/2018 at 5:30 PM, Rich_R said:

Head over to this thread

It’s a great place to start. BI has a great wiki, linked in this thread.

Thanks, that was really helpful.

I've been through a lot of topics, threads and videos.

One thing I really have trouble with is the rvmat.

I read this page: https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ArmA:_RVMAT (the wiki page), but still I don't feel I actually get it.

Do you have any reference to further reading on this topic? Thanks ahead.

On 9/19/2018 at 11:13 PM, GEORGE FLOROS GR said:

First post ?!

Welcome also to BIS Forums ziv b !  

Thank you !

tbh, I am not a new arma player(I have started playing since 2012), but I havn't really got socialized in the international community, but I think it's time for some change :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ziv b said:

I think it's time for some change :)

It's better late than never !

1 hour ago, ziv b said:

Do you have any reference to further reading on this topic?

do you have arma tools set up? i found it was best to have a look at the actual arma 3 files.  Pick a uniform and find the config, rvmat and its file, its the best way to get an idea of what you're going to need to create

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lordfrith said:

do you have arma tools set up? i found it was best to have a look at the actual arma 3 files.  Pick a uniform and find the config, rvmat and its file, its the best way to get an idea of what you're going to need to create

I havn't set the arma tools up yet, kidna stuck on the theory/learning phase of how the basics of modeling and modding works in arma 3.

I'm gonna set it up today and learn about it a bit.

quick question: What tools do I actually need for modelling and exporting that models into game? from what i've seen, I mainly need Blender, O2 and Object Builder.

Are there any other softwares I should know about?

2 hours ago, ziv b said:

What tools do I actually need for modelling and exporting that models into game?

thats pretty much it, other than maybe some image software like GIMP or PS for working on the textures.

the cool thing about arma tools is there is an option to extract all the main arma game files so you can look through the configs/files fr nearly everything in the game. For me it really helped, aside from reading what is on the WIKI, to see examples of how things like the RVMATS get set up. Check out the arma samples as well as that has examples of all kinds of mods.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, lordfrith said:

thats pretty much it, other than maybe some image software like GIMP or PS for working on the textures.

the cool thing about arma tools is there is an option to extract all the main arma game files so you can look through the configs/files fr nearly everything in the game. For me it really helped, aside from reading what is on the WIKI, to see examples of how things like the RVMATS get set up. Check out the arma samples as well as that has examples of all kinds of mods.

Yeah I got it from several videos that they don't actually write everything themsefles, a lot of time they just use pre-made cfg or .hpp files from BI or previous works they have.

I also saw that many of them use this or that software to manipulate and design their textures(if they are making an original one).

Do you know where I can get textures other than the main arma game? I mean is there any good (and free, hopefuly) reliable site?

18 minutes ago, ziv b said:

Do you know where I can get textures other than the main arma game?

you mean source images for making textures?

there are sites like texturemax which is free but you gotta create an account and get limited textures per day. It has a huge variety though, of fabrics, metals, etc to build textures from. there are other good sites like this, have a search for texture libraries

25 minutes ago, ziv b said:

a lot of time they just use pre-made cfg or .hpp files from BI or previous works they have.

this is it, if its just a retexture mod then you should be able to inherit nearly everything in mod config from a parent class and then just change the textures. for adding new vehicles etc you're likely inheriting from a baseclass and writing a lot more yourself

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ziv b said:

modelling community?

I dont't know to tell you much but as also i see , yes !

This forum helped me a lot , I have found a lot of usefull stuf there !

4 hours ago, ziv b said:

Is that a modelling community?

i think its a gary's mod forum, just some guy started a thread to share camo's online...  still the best place on the entire internet for camo textures!

• Like 1