Sign in to follow this  
Arrukus

Popping smoke?

Does anyone know how to add an action that puts down an invis. H and lets off smoke where the person is standing? I've tried to search for this but I come up with the same crap over and over.

You want a smoke grenade to just pop out where someone is standing? Just do a camcreate command on a trigger. With the soldiers name.

Bomb = "SmokeShell" CamCreate getPos unitname

....put this in your trigger... hope this helps. smile.gif

not really what I was looking for, but part of it. I'm trying to add an action so the player can "pop" smoke for a AI chopper to set down in the "right" place. Thanks though guys!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Bosun @ Dec. 24 2002,01:00)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Bomb = "SmokeShell" CamCreate getPos unitname

....put this in your trigger...  hope this helps. smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Put Bosun's code in the OnActivation field of a trigger that can be set either by radio command or by a menu command (using addAction). xmas.gif

So will this add a H where the person is standing at any time? I'm trying to make something thats moveable. So that a person can pop smoke anywhere. Is this making sense? I thank you all for the help.

wow.gif0--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Arrukus @ Dec. 24 2002,08wow.gif0)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">So will this add a H where the person is standing at any time? I'm trying to make something thats moveable. So that a person can pop smoke anywhere. Is this making sense? I thank you all for the help.<span id='postcolor'>

Yes, this is making sense.

The above code was only to create smoke where and when you wanted. To create a H you'll have to use the same code.

But ! Smoke goes with the wind, the H doesn't ! (fortunately)

So if you have to use it multiple times, you'll have to delete the old H after use .... unless you want it to become achy ... wink.gifsad.gif (i know, i'm tired.)

ok?

Just how does getpos work? I have been trying to do this very thing myself, only slightly different. This is what I want to happen: upon using radio Alpha, green smoke and an invisible H are created. Also, a Blackhawk is created somewhere at the edge of the map. The Blackhawk then flies to the invisible H and performs a load action.

So far, I have made a trigger that is activated by the radio which should create a helicopter and an invisible H. However, I am having difficulties with the getpos command. The command reference is no help; using it in the context described gets an error message.

Can someone describe how I can know where to set the location for the createunit command? I don't even know how the coordinates are arranged, as the ones on the map are in the format of letter and number but the ones you must specify are in number and number. And where is (0,0)? Is it the center of the map or in the lower left hand corner?

Help me please.

I don't know if this will help but.... to find a specific coordinate... place a object on the location you want.....save mission and then open up your mission.sqs in notepad or whatever editor, look for that placed object and just copy the coordinates...

Hope this helps....HO HO HO xmas.gif

That does help a lot.  Thank you very much, Bos'n

[edit]Even though I now know where I want to put the helicopter, I cannot put it there. In the "on activation" field of the trigger, I put this:

"uh60mg" createunit [2908,20,1735,groupalpha]

That is using the format described in the command reference in the mission editing section of this site. However, the game doesn't like the way I wrote the coordinates.

Also, I cannot figure out how make the helicopter start out flying. Is there something I could put in the init field to make it do so? Maybe it would look something like this:

"uh60mg" createunit [2908,20,1735,groupalpha,fly]

Help![/edit]

Sorry l'm not much help on camcreate unit... l have used instead; unitname SetPos GetPos locationname I placed whatever units in some far corner of the map and then brought them in when needed. xmas.gif

"uh60mg" createunit [2908,20,1735,groupalpha]

if i remember correctly, you need to make sure 'groupalpha' is of type group.

so the way i did with my old infantry createunit was i make a unit, and name it like g1. then i'd go

"uh60mg" createunit [2908,20,1735,group g1]

and as always. search tounge.gif

I confess I did not search this time because every time I search I get something close to what I am looking for but not quite it.

I thank you for your help.