Sign in to follow this  
zverushka

What shld i get?

Hey guys.

I bought a new Geforce4 ti4600 a couple of weeks back..

SPECS OF MY SYSTEM

---------------------

1.2 Ghz AMD Athlon T-Bird

640 Megs SDR SDRAM

128 meg Geforce 4, Ti4600

21 Inch Monitor

80 meg 7200 RPM HD

A7A266 motherboard

Its an awesome card, but it runs not much better than my old ATI- radeon. I still get slow frame rates in OFP, and I get around 60 fps in half life. I've tried everything, so it's not software related. This christmas, I want to get a present for myself thats under 200 dollars. I'm either buying a CPU, or a mobo with ddr ram.

What shld I get that wld really speed up my frame rate??

You should learn to spell, it really would help others when they read your posts. biggrin.gif

What are your OFP setting at? Is your visibility very high? Or did you set your frames really low?

That's an amazing system, I don't think you need to upgrade anything. You are probably getting slowdowns since you are playing Half Life at the highest res possible, and playing OFP with everything to the max. I think enabling T&L will boost your performance, as well as DL'ing new drivers.

I noticed your processor is 1200 megahertz, it seems like a lot, but maybe getting a faster one will boost your performance by a little.

You can't go wrong with a new motherboard. They are pretty cheap these days, and you can use the old one to build a server.

Couple of questions;

What size DIMM's (RAM) are you running?

What OS are you running, and how long has it been installed?

A good clean gaming system can give you a marked increase in performance.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">You are probably getting slowdowns since you are playing Half Life at the highest res possible<span id='postcolor'>

60fps is nowhere near a slow down! That's higher than what your TV runs at!

OFP is a bugger though, it's a resource hog, andits picky about peoples setups.

I play OFP at very low settings. I have 900 meter viewdistance, normal terrain, and 3.xx detail. I play HL at average settings, but even at the highest settings I shld be getting 100 fps with the card I have. Tvs get 30 fps, but you can't notice it, because the frames are fuzzed together, thats why yuo get a fuzzy image if you take a picture of a TV.

I have 2 256 meg cards, and one 128 meg one. Should I take out the 128 meg one> would that help anything?

I run Windows XP pro

I've optimized my system in every way, still same performance, and I have an SQL server running, but that doesn't affect it, I once turned it off and got the same performance.

well regarding Half-Life, 60 is the default max FPS if i remember right, all it requires is some editing of your config.cfg and you can gain the extra FPS.

but coming back to CPU, i used to have a 1.2 and i now have an XP2000 and imo it runs better.

There is not point going for the RAM option unless you get 512mb DDR in my opinion.

An yes, the 60 fps in Half Life and Half Life games has nothing to do with your system, its set by defualt.

I set it to 100 fps max, and I get 60 fps-70 fps fluctuationsIf I'm getting a new CPU, then I'm getting an XP 2100

You can easily get 99 fps in halflife, assuming you are running with a geforce card then you just need to turn vertical synch off in your nvidia menu thingie under opengl (you ofcourse need to be running HL in opengl).

And in the console type max_fps 100, or fps_max 100, one of those two, cant remember.

Edit: The absolute max fps in HL is 99.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Hovmand @ Dec. 23 2002,01:49)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">You can easily get 99 fps in halflife, assuming you are running with a geforce card then you just need to turn vertical synch off in your nvidia menu thingie under opengl (you ofcourse need to be running HL in opengl).

And in the console type max_fps 100, or fps_max 100, one of those two, cant remember.<span id='postcolor'>

fps_max100 is the right one, i think...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Hovmand @ Dec. 24 2002,00:49)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">to turn vertical synch off in your nvidia menu thingie under opengl<span id='postcolor'>

What does the vertical synch do any ways ?

I hate how AMD gives fake number speeds in their processor names.

AMD Athlon XP 2400+  = 2.0 ghz but you would think it might run at 2.4 ghz because that's what the name says!

grrr

At least Intel actually says what they run at.

But apparently AMD is coming out with a new generation processor and they are going to give it a new name with numbers that actually correspond to the speed.

the "hammer" range by any chance? and going back to the XP range, im sure i heard somewhere that thats the equivelant Intel speed? might be wrong though

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">im sure i heard somewhere that thats the equivelant Intel speed? might be wrong though<span id='postcolor'>

Yes it is. My XP1900 runs at 1.4ghz, but supposedly runs with the same performance as a 1.9ghz Intel chip.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Nathanz @ Dec. 24 2002,01:03)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">What does the vertical synch do any ways ?<span id='postcolor'>

I have no idea, but it helps turning it off xmas.gif and i havn´t experienced any sort of side effects.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">My XP1900 runs at 1.4ghz<span id='postcolor'>

XP1900 runs at 1,6Ghz...

Exactly,it's just to give the average consumer an idea how to compare them.

People who actually know their stuff would look at sisoft sandra benchmarks and others,but since most people go for 'the biggest number' they have to do this :]

The new Amd will be called Athlon64 i think,and the Athlon XP will replace the Duron as the budget core,the Opteron as a competitor for Intel's Xeon on server applications.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">XP1900 runs at 1,6Ghz... <span id='postcolor'>

Quite right..... my mistake.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I hate how AMD gives fake number speeds in their processor names.<span id='postcolor'>

I know. I have an AMD 1700, that's rated at 1.4 Ghz.

I'm on Windows 2000, does anyone know how I can find out what my RAM is? I can't remember if I have 128 or 256 mb of DDR ram.

Thanks.

if i remember correctly, AMD decided to focus on how much stuffs their CPU can do instead of how fast it is. so that's why they came up with 1600 naming scheme. i'm not too keen with CPU, so i can't tell much. sad.gif

Turning V-Sync on makes the video card wait to display the new frame buffer contents until the electron beam on a CRT moves back to the top of the display.

If you don't wait for the retrace, tearing of the image can occur because the display may show part of an old image, and part of a new one.

Some people prefer getting the highest possible FPS number -- I prefer not getting headaches and goofy visuals, so I force V-Sync on in all games.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Assault (CAN) @ Dec. 23 2002,19:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I hate how AMD gives fake number speeds in their processor names.<span id='postcolor'>

I know. I have an AMD 1700, that's rated at 1.4 Ghz.

I'm on Windows 2000, does anyone know how I can find out what my RAM is? I can't remember if I have 128 or 256 mb of DDR ram.

Thanks.<span id='postcolor'>

Your system should tell you on boot-up (the BIOS). You can also go to Control Panel -> System.

I bought an XP 2100 processor. Wld 512 megs of PC2100 DDR SDRAM be faster than 640 megs of SDR SDRAM?