Storm Rider

[WIP] Lebanon War Maps

Hello guys, I would like to present this project that I'm working. Although I started modding maps back in Arma 2, in 2010, I've been away ever since. I'm still  in the very early stages of work as I'm still learning all the peculiarities of arma 3 modding and will definitely need as much help as I can get. I'm also working in parallel in another project, the map of Goose Green, Falklands (Ganso Verde, Malvinas). As always, I try to use the lowest cell size possible (<5). As of now, I'm not sure as I will ever be able to complete this project, as my free time is usually very short, but I can try.

For this project, I intend to first create a prototype, with lowres textures and then improve it, as much as I can. I'm still a bit undecided on what portion of Lebanon to create. I'm very interested in the 3 main conflicts between Israel and Hezbollah: 1978 Operation Litani, 1982 First Lebanon War and Occupation, 2006 Second Lebanon War, although the regions of interest for these 3 conflicts vary considerably and would require an immense map. Perhaps it might be a better idea to create completely standalone maps of each portion, limiting the map size to about 20x20km so as to maintain a small cell size.

IWl6QOu.jpg

The heightmap is a 12.5m resolution Alos Palsar dem

The current region that I'm working on, is the area of Bint Jbeil, which has seen a lot of action in 2006. For these Im considering two options:

1- A single Mapframe of 4096 x 5 cell size = 20.480km

2- 4 Multiple Mapframe 4096 x 4 cell size = 16.384km each, with a total of 32.768km

• Like 8

Nice, I look forward to seeing what you come up with!

First update. The map feeling of space is huge, I mean, I tried populating just a small fraction of a tiny village and feeling was that it was a tiny dust spot in a whole world. Perhaps 1:1 scale is not the best solution for this map. On the other hand, I've been testing with a different concept, inspired a bit by BIS themselves. The idea is: if I'm going to down scale the map, to around 7m/px (from the original 12.5m of them Alos Palsar dem), then I might as well include in the map more regions of interest from the 1982 Lebanon War, by merging together and smoothing the transition between these different regions. Its still a hell lot of work, but with considerably smaller urban areas.

• Like 1

This is what I’ve read, it’s not the size of the map that’s difficult l, but filling it;)

Good luck on the project!

On 9/18/2018 at 12:01 PM, Storm Rider said:

First update. The map feeling of space is huge, I mean, I tried populating just a small fraction of a tiny village and feeling was that it was a tiny dust spot in a whole world. Perhaps 1:1 scale is not the best solution for this map. On the other hand, I've been testing with a different concept, inspired a bit by BIS themselves. The idea is: if I'm going to down scale the map, to around 7m/px (from the original 12.5m of them Alos Palsar dem), then I might as well include in the map more regions of interest from the 1982 Lebanon War, by merging together and smoothing the transition between these different regions. Its still a hell lot of work, but with considerably smaller urban areas.

That's map is a great idea in my opinion.

A lot of israeli groups and individuals(like myself) will enjoy that one, since there is not really any map that truly resembels most of the missions they execute(simulation of guarilla war between israeli forces and ISIS/Terrorists)

If you have any questions regarding the war(for example, the way the PLO fought back then), you can contact me anytime.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Miniwaja said:

Its been 4 years whyd you give up on the project??

Probably because (good) map making is tedious.

There's also these points mentioned by the OP:

I'm still learning all the peculiarities of arma 3 modding

As of now, I'm not sure as I will ever be able to complete this project, as my free time is usually very short, but I can try.

1 hour ago, Miniwaja said:

Its been 4 years whyd you give up on the project??

Closing this thread, please don't dig up old threads.