Rydygier

Simple Sound Browser

Simple Sound Browser

A simplistic GUI tool for fast browsing CfgSounds content, which I just put together for own use, but perhaps will prove helpful to someone else too... Comes as ready to use VR map scenario, GUI appears automatically. Select to hear, push "COPY" to save the class name of the sound to the clipboard and in the RPT file. Shows sound's title as a tooltip, if present in the config (rare). If GUI exited via Esc, may be restored via action menu. Note, it loads everything, it founds inside CfgSounds, if it's a proper class that contains "sound" property defined. Some sounds may be mute or appear so seemingly. PlaySound command used to... play a sound... khem. Includes simple tool for filtering sound names. 

Simple Sound Browser   (Dropbox via Orangedox)

Enjoy. 

Simple-Sound-Browser2.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 6

Nice! This will come in handy. Reminds me of the one that A2 debug tools had. Just one question... Why so green? It is blinding lol.

Why so green? It is blinding lol.

It is? Well, I pasted GUI config parts from my current wip project, it was hasty mashup, so I didn't change the colors... Now I see, I have to reconsider color palette for my project's GUI. Hm. :)

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Rydygier said:

It is? Well, I pasted GUI config parts from my current wip project, it was hasty mashup, so I didn't change the colors... Now I see, I have to reconsider color palette for my project's GUI. Hm. :)

I like the retro idea. You can keep it green, just dim the brightness and maybe darken the green / add secondary colour in to blend it all.

• Like 1

Are you a wizard?

I was wishing I had something like this just last night! Thanks!

• Like 2

Just found this.  Thanks Rydgier, this is SUPER useful.  Any chance you could add a string search capability to the tool?  It would be nice to type in "explosion"  or "briefing", etc, and have list of sounds filtered to the matching set.  Just an idea man, its awesome as is...

Also, people finding this post may be interested in @Larrow 's console based tool for finding sounds.  This link finds in-game sounds that seems to include the one's found by @Rydgier's tool, plus many more:

And this link finds all the AI radio dialogue sounds ("Return To Formation", "Halt", "Attack", "Roger",  etc. for all AI commands and responses):

The only drawback with Larrow's utility is it takes minutes to load all the sounds (and I have a new powerful PC).  Rydgier's is super fast, but its loading fewer sounds so that is why. 

It seems to me that Rydgier's and Larrow's tools could be merged.  And it could be super fast if Larrow's code was used to export all the links to the sounds to an array one-time, and save that array in a file that is used by this script and demo mission.  This would eliminate the time needed to navigate/read all the Configs.   If BIS releases new content, then the tool creator could export the array again and release a new tool with the latest sounds.

Of course that is easy for me to say, and not do!!!  :)

Regardless, I am grateful to have both these tools available.

• Like 1

It takes only the sounds from CfgSounds, thus the speed but also limited content. 

Any chance you could add a string search capability to the tool? 

Idea is good, and not so hard to implement, so I implemented such thing (file under the link updated). Changes:

1. Modified colors;

2. Added sound name filter (can be found between the list and the button, simple click&type tool, the list will be refreshed as you type with sounds, that contain typed text).

Tested briefly, seems, it works. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2