gingerlikeme

Edit tools themes

I know this is probably is not possible but is there a way to edit the themes and colours of BI Tools.

I think I’d enjoy making terrain and stuff more if I had a cleaner UI to use.

If you think I’m nutty then look at the difference between Photoshop cs5 (the horrible grey) and Photoshop CS6 (Nice Clean Slate).

Even if there isn’t an official way is there an unofficial way to open and edit the theme.

Thanks

Harry

I don't think that is possible. The GUI looks like its made with some sort of "old" GUI framework (Maybe not even that) and it also looks like its all hard coded. It's not only the design that matters but where when what is on the screen etc. All the view logic and with that the design is compiled into the program as it seems - for example, this is the case for the Terrain builder.

While I generally do think that user interfaces should be nice and simple, but also good looking - in reality, 99% of GUI based programs are created in a functional way. the typical windows gray in gray look ... Reliability and efficiency are the no 1 priority. Nobody paid the developers something to make them pretty.

You get used to where things are and forget about the design very soon if you working on something.

I also think that they do invest in making the programs more visually appealing. Look at the launcher or publisher. But I think this only happens if they got the resources for reworking the program. Often this will be done when they need to update a lot or rewrite the program from scratch. 

I did not develop the tools so I can not confirm with 100% guarantee that there is no option for having some sort of theme file, but from my experience on how those programs are usually written, I really don't think so.

Yh I was just looking at the files included. I found some DLLs but one file in particular jumped out. GUILayout.opt seems promising but need to find something to open it. Will give it ago and will post here my findings.

So the GUI opt file turns out to be a dead end. It seems you can define widths and things of the separate tabs in TB but not much else. Gimme some time to dig around a bit more.

11 minutes ago, gingerlikeme said:

So the GUI opt file turns out to be a dead end. It seems you can define widths and things of the separate tabs in TB but not much else. Gimme some time to dig around a bit more.

Yes, I have seen that file as well. Maybe its used if people want to customize their layout by dragging things around. Not sure if that is even possible atm. I usually leave things how they were so I can follow tutorials when I need them without needing to look where I moved things compared to a tutorial screenshot.

If you find something that would, of course, be very nice. I would appreciate it the "old" tools get a fresh design ;) Good luck