Sign in to follow this  
goaz

Arma Series - Back to Roots and Realism

hi all,

I know this has been discussed many times in the forum but I would just like to share my toughts which I'm sure are same of of many "old school players" who started to play this beatiful game series years ago.

And the reason of this is quite simple: observation, observing how much people just downloaded RHS mod, the forum section/thread of ARMA3 pictures&comments is full of screenshot of people playing arma3 with RHS.

When I started to play this game back in 2002 with OFP it was such a  mind blowing experience being able to explore the enviroment and being able to use lets say " real weapons", real vehicles, and wearing real uniforms of course with some limitation.

I played OFP, ARMA, ARMA2 and then when ARMA3 came out it's been such a delusion, a delusion caused by the choice of developers to create a fictional game with fictional weapons, helicopters, guns etc etc.

Most of old players I am quite sure they loved the realism which was reached by ARMA2 expecially with mods like ACE,  but ARMA3 for me is a total delusion becuase of developers choice of NON realism.

I really hope that Bohemia will reconsider this choice and will get back to roots, ARMA4 should use actual modern equipment instead of fantasy weapons and stuff

Just my 2 cents.

i was just thinking as i loaded up CUP the other day that its strange that i often play arma 3 with a mod to recreate the environment of arma 2! setting wise that's still my fravourite of the series (erm... excluding OFP that i never played). In a way i feel like they nailed the setting so well for arma 2 it was kinda hard to improve upon ;)

that said i would offer a few points to defend the arma 3 setting:

firstly the maps are awesome, Altis especially raised the bar for maps and is reasonably time period independent (i.e. doesn't look too futuristic), stratis and malden are ace and detailed small islands, tanoa is probably pretty cool too but for some reason jungles just don't it for me so i've barely played it...

Secondly most of the vehicles, guns etc, although they use made up names, nearly everything is heavily based on real-world equipment that exists today, some of it is even pretty old now. As futuristic as some gear looks it is realistic to a very reasonable degree and personally i rather like the setting, i play often pure vanilla, from a purely sim point of view there is a nice range of tools at the gamers disposal to build and play scenarios.

finally maybe it was a wise choice to base arma 3 in a neutral setting thus allowing mods like RHS and IFA3 to really get into recreating other time periods. Does that make sense? i'm trying to say the modding community is so core to the arma experience BI maybe intentionally gave it space to flourish.

still i'm interested to see what setting they choose for arma 4, will they commit to a historical period (cold war seems to be a popular suggestion), surely they can't set it any further into the future without losing the core infantry gameplay?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, goaz said:

ARMA4 should use actual modern equipment instead of fantasy weapons and stuff

Whats fantasy and not real?

You guys did see this thread right?

https://forums.bohemia.net/forums/topic/125727-is-arma-3-authentic/

I dont understand the problem, if you want realism play with RHS, use CUP, theres tons of mods out that will satisfy every need you desire in this game.

You guys miss the point of this game we are playing, its a sandbox, and the sandbox comes with toys in it already, its like buying

a house and the bonus is its already furnished, now the furniture may not suit your cultural, social, fancy or taste if you will but its there, so like most people you either be happy you have

something or you can go out and see what the stores (modders) have to offer and buy (download) their stuff and play with them instead.

Just think more content.

This is such an old conversation, i respect the opinions, and views and such dont get me wrong but you guys are beating a dead horse, it is what it is,

this why this game is moddable, so change it.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Gunter Severloh said:

I dont understand the problem

the problem, if you want to call it that, is that the arma series has a vanilla setting and users have an opinion on how well it works in arma 3 and the direction they're hoping for in future games. This is the BI forums so its likely a topic that will crop up repeatedly, if you're on here a lot i guess that might get old ;)

still OP was pretty reasonable in his post and i tried to post a reasonable response... 

thanks for linking that thread in though, @goaz that is indeed the thread for dispelling the myth of arma 3's 'fantasy' weapons

peace :D

• Like 2

Despite many efforts from some of you I am not gonna buy it al all, arma3 has no authentic vehicles, airplanes and chopers or weapons.

Maybe just a few but the majority are fake/fictional such as the A-10D, what is that? Comon, and the new F18?

These fast movers will never exist , the a-10c will soon end its life and there is no replacement or upgrades, and the f18 already is semi-new with the F/A 18 superhornet.

What about the faction? Iran in Greece ?Wearing super-alien-technological suits??....it's not gonna happen.

With the introduction of futurustic scenario ARMA series has been totaly killed.

Again .... use mods thats the beauty of this game, dont like it, mod it.

Like me, i can play anything but i wont stand for my gun moving all over the place, and stupid recoil, among other things, my big thing

is gameplay function not so much the content, so i build compilation mods to suite my fancy WarMod baby!  ;)

• Like 1

Despite many efforts from some of you I am not gonna buy it al all, arma3 has no authentic vehicles, airplanes and chopers or weapons.

Maybe just a few but the majority are fake/fictional such as the A-10D, what is that? Comon, and the new F18?

These fast movers will never exist , the a-10c will soon end its life and there is no replacement or upgrades, and the f18 already is semi-new with the F/A 18 superhornet.

What about the faction? Iran in Greece ?Wearing super-alien-technological suits??....it's not gonna happen.

With the introduction of futurustic scenario ARMA series has been totaly killed.

I’ve used ArmA since II - I’ve never taken more than a cursory look at vanilla - I have absolutely no interest in futuristic imagined warfare with fictional factions... I stick with current day RHS/BAF content - Unsung Vietnam content - and Iron Front/FOW WWII content - and I’ve been more than happy with it...

Regards,

Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk