Mustang_185

[WIP, ALPHA] Jasło, Poland

Yes, I know about roads and this error. I wanted to ship next update without further delay, so some thing slipped by. It will be fixed, along with other things that I screwed.

We're aiming for period just after joining European Union; you could find quite a few abandoned cars in Jasło back then. And as for destroyed village, we've added it because we found it to be an interesting location, quite different from the rest of the map. This could have historical explaination - Operation 'Wisła' in the '50s. Quite a lot of Boykos and Lemkos villages got totally deported & abandoned back then. When I get visited by friends from other regions I always take them for excursion through these ghost villages. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Small update/hotfix!

Repaired the No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgLocationTypes.null' error

Replaced autumn roads with another type (I'll probably change it again, the bitumen colour differs too much for my liking)

Several small fixes, like trees in the rivers, mismatched buildings, etc. 

• Like 3

New version, sorry for the delay.

Fixed the "requires Contact DLC" bug
Reworked Kowalowy village
Reworked military base in the city

Another update!

- Reworked forests
- Kowalowy village rebuilt
- Jareniówka village rebuilt
- Forresters' Lodge rebuilt
- Some small fixes

You'll have to wait longer than usual for the next one, as we'll be enlarging the terrain to 16 x 16 km size! We'll add a lot of new areas.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Our 'Extended Jaslo' road shapefile compared to 'current Jaslo' (left-lower corner). Those are raw GIS data, so most of the roads will be deleted, but it shows quite nicely what we want to achive. 

Oh, and it isn't 16 x 16 km, I lied 😉 It is 32 x 32 km.

unknown.png

• Like 5

Those Polish houses looks convincing, you've hit the jackpot with this guys. Would love to see bigger variety of the structures. They don't even need to be walkable to bring an immersion. Well done! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Fun (?) fact: those blocky houses are modelled after the real thing. Many of them can be found in souther Poland (they're as numerous as ants, really). They were built during communist rule, I assume because of how easy and cheap they are (all blocky, no fancy shapes, could house two-generations family on its two stories). Or maybe whole country had just one architecture engineer 😛 Their main drawback was that the staircase took about 1/4 of interior, but Istar modelled our build after a modified project, which had the staircase moved outside of walls 🙂

• Like 4

In general, they are old models so they are not perfect. Lod 0 has 1692 vertex. They use textures from Army 3 because I put on lightweight addons. Has its own lightmap texture.

• Like 1

I'm not into terrain making so have very little knowledge about it. Anyway, the less polys the better, at least when it comes to performance in a large towns unless you create many LODs of those guys.
Out of curiosity, how long have you been working to deliver the small version of the map, more or less?

Well, it has been three years now. But it's hard to estimate how many manhours it tooks, as we did it in our spare time, and sometimes it hasn't been touched for months. The city itself needed the most work hours.

• Like 1

Oh man... That's insane! Hats off to the men with such dedication and commitment! I would never touch a single addon that would require more than a couple of months of my work 🙂

• Like 2

Hey,

first of all, I absolutely love your terrain!

Dziękuję bardzo za twoją pracę!

Especially the city area looks great, only the cities edge could get some work. I also love the train station!

Maybe it's possible to replace the grass-ground with Livonias ground textures and clutter configs, because this would lead to a better grass density and texture. And you could edit the satmap to have warmer colors and be less blue-ish. But I won't tell you how to make maps and it's just a well-intentioned advice 😉

Furthermore, there's a building that seems to have no collision and is reeeally buggy:

?imw=1024&imh=576&ima=fit&impolicy=Lette

Have a nice day,

Schraxt

• Like 1

Thank you for your kind words! 

Regarding issues mentioned by you, we're aware of them. Many locations on the map are quickly and dirty made placeholders, we're currently replacing them. Also we're enlarging our map to 16x16 km, which means that it'll get a totally new satmap. But because of IRL time issues the work is getting done very slowly.

• Like 3

Sorry for posting again, but I found a weird lighting/texture bug in the city's southern part:

1. Light bug - 00:00
  2. Texture bug - 00:29

Maybe you could fix this with Livonia cobblestone

• Like 1

BeastHunter makes such attempts but these are different types of objects. We are thinking about how to fix it but unfortunately it is not that simple.

I tried to swap it quickly cobblestone. It failed, we need to create a decal and replace it with the same size. Unfortunately, all this takes time.

hey, we are preparing a distance lighting for Jasło. It's a quick showcase.

unknown.png

• Like 3

It should be noted that those aren't really light sources (like lamp posts) so the performance hit should be negligible. Also, they'll be only visible at distance (think pilots, HAHO/HALO troops, or encampents on a hills) and will fade/turn off as player gets closer. Will probably try to include some way to turn them off completly for mission makers that would want more 'deserted' or 'post-apo' feel (or, how I call it, our usual A3 town feel 😛 ).

• Like 1