Αplion

HAFM NAVY - Submarines & Ships - v2

20 minutes ago, Αplion said:

We are planning to add an Arleigh Burke-class destroyer (USA) and probably some similar vessel from China ... 

Hi Aplion

As you may know I'm modelling one Austal's High Speed Support Vessel.

I would like to make my addon as compatible with yours as possible. Would it be possible to send you a PM and discuss the issue??

I love your addons and the work you have put to add so many features to them

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, mankyle said:

Hi Aplion

As you may know I'm modelling one Austal's High Speed Support Vessel.

I would like to make my addon as compatible with yours as possible. Would it be possible to send you a PM and discuss the issue??

I love your addons and the work you have put to add so many features to them

mankyle, send me a PM with details of what you may need for your vessel and we'll talk further ... if possible to assist I'll do it mate.

• Like 1

There will not be a WW2 mod from you correct? If I remember than that is the case but would there ever be a chance that you collab with another dev if they decide to do a ww2 based mod? 

Oh and how long does it usually take to make the models for ships or does it vary depending on the ship as well as the scripts for it?

I cannot speak for others but I started working on the HSSV on May last year but from September until December I wasn't able to work on it. Now it has almost 11K points and 27K faces and counting….

I'm not a pro and I'm learning the stuff while working on it.

Scripting can be VERY complicated. I just know how to use some scripting commands but complex scripts elude me. If I look at the code I can more or less understand what each part does but for me scripting is very difficult.

Yeah that is understandable. Arma seems to be rather difficult in that sense as well so it makes things harder. I wonder how one would actually figure out the scripting needed for custom things such as missiles and torpedoes. It is pretty impressive but you also see many drop out from finishing projects due to that issue it seems. So many naval based mods seemed to have been unfinished which really sucks but I can imagine why they do it. 
 On a side note. I think a possible thing that could be done is if the Arleigh Burke class is made, since the Kongo-class seems to be modeled the same, you could have a Japanese flag added to it or perhaps as a independant forces add in some Kanji to the back of it. Maybe with that a couple differences to tell it apart but otherwise keep the same model. I think the scripting for it would be different since from what I have read the systems are different between the two but I don't know if that would call for a totally new script. 

Modeling a ship is really a time consuming job and the time of completion it depends by the ship type and details on it. Arleigh Burke class ship is a difficult to build one but generally the most difficult part comes later when the modder has to create the UV maps for textures (at least for me is the hard part).

Now about ArmA polygons - vertices limitations ... in fact there isn't any. The point for the modder is to keep their amount as lower can be in order to avoid any FPS drop in game, keeping at same time the overhaul quality on decent levels.

On previous versions of ArmA there was a theoretical "limitation" on polygons - vertices, but on current one this has been raised (doubled - tripled on some cases) due to game engine improvements by BIS. By my experience so far, you can have models on 50k without issues in game.

This is the current state of Arleigh Burke class in 3ds max program ... http://prntscr.com/m9m03w ... I'm still trying to reduce vertices without details loss (as possible) and after that I'll start the UV mapping. When this will be completed I'll import the model into BIS Object Builder - work on textures - work on configs - work on scripts (Devastator_cm will be the man for this) - etc etc etc - test - test - test - fix -fix - fix ... this is (briefly) how modding is working on ArmA.

• Like 5

Well hey it looks awesome for sure. And of course I am probably the hundredth person to say it but this mod is just amazing and the time put into this is really appreciated. I've been thinking about what I want to do after schooling and the navy has been high in the list so it kind of just adds on to my love for the navy and ships in general.

And another question is are these 1:1 scale? I was looking at the Liberty class and was thinking if that was a realistic size for a modern destroyer than would the current ships be out of scale or did they upsize the Liberty by a lot? 

I have modelled the HSSV 1:1 scale and it is 72 meters long.

The Liberty destroyer is more or less twice as long as my ship.

That would put the Liberty at around 150 meters long which is close to a real life Arleigh Burke  destroyer (155 meters long).

If they model the Burke 1:1 it won't be out of scale with the Liberty ship.

Arleigh Burke model is 155 meters long so yes it is 1:1 scaled. btw also the rest of ships on this mod are.

FREMM is 142 meters long, MEKO is 118 meters long, Admiral Grigorovich is 125 meters long, BUYAN corvette is 75 meters long and Roussen-class fast attack craft is 62 meters long. So yes Arleigh Burke will be the largest one so far.

• Like 2

In that case it should be just about the same length and the Liberty. The beam being the same as the Fremm gives a good size comparison for that portion as well. That Liberty class is huge.

2 minutes ago, Sir BadNade said:

In that case it should be just about the same length and the Liberty. The beam being the same as the Fremm gives a good size comparison for that portion as well. That Liberty class is huge.

Liberty isn't a ship but just a static structure shaped as ship in fact. To be honest I can't understand this comparison between this mod and a default game structure.

I am trying to figure out the scaling between the ships because while looking online with main pictures and in game fictional stuff and what the games sizes are I am just trying to find which ships are of scale and which aren't. Minor thing I try to find. The Liberty on the wiki explains that it has a length of 155 meters and a beam of 45 which would mean that it would make it the same length. But that could also be something that is off putting from the models in game as well. But if the size of the Liberty is actually 155 meters as well wouldn't that mean that the in game lenght of the Arleigh should be about the same length? Or is the size of the ship possibly a different lenght entirely? I am starting to think that the sizes for the vanilla arma stuff is different. Comparing the HAFM ships with others such as the Nimitz and the Anzac seems to be right so as long as that is the case than it should be all cool. 

5 minutes ago, Sir BadNade said:

I am trying to figure out the scaling between the ships because while looking online with main pictures and in game fictional stuff and what the games sizes are I am just trying to find which ships are of scale and which aren't. Minor thing I try to find. The Liberty on the wiki explains that it has a length of 155 meters and a beam of 45 which would mean that it would make it the same length. But that could also be something that is off putting from the models in game as well. But if the size of the Liberty is actually 155 meters as well wouldn't that mean that the in game lenght of the Arleigh should be about the same length? Or is the size of the ship possibly a different lenght entirely? I am starting to think that the sizes for the vanilla arma stuff is different. Comparing the HAFM ships with others such as the Nimitz and the Anzac seems to be right so as long as that is the case than it should be all cool. 

I don't think that this static Liberty is made on RL size ... it looks much bigger.

Generally in ArmA I can't believe that anything from default parts are actually on RL size .. not easy to believe that Altis island is 477.6 square km as should for example ... same stand for structures and everything else.

Anyway I can't prove that and the only I can say is that my models have the RL dimensions - at least since the moment I'm importing them in game (my measurements - scale are based on 3ds max before I'll export the models).

Yeah looking at it more and looking at pictures of the ships and compairing a man to the ships than it should be all good. 

On 1/21/2019 at 1:15 PM, Αplion said:

I don't think that this static Liberty is made on RL size ... it looks much bigger.

It looks similar in size to other modern destroyers. Yes, it's big, but what is considered a "destroyer" has steadily balooned in size. A Zumwalt-class destroyer is 190m long, same as New Mexico-class superdreadnought from WWI era. I haven't measured it, but it seems to be around that length, as well. 

That makes me think that somewhere along the lines of scaling it that they figured that it was 155 meters where as it is actually quite larger which is pretty easy to see. I assume they did that in order to get in the interior work for it to be playable with instead of having to put more work into making more floors, more detailing, and less space to work with.

MOD Updated (Steam)

changelog

Added: CIWS support for Supply Ships.
Added: New actions to load zodiacs back to ships if there is space in storage.
Added: An SDV (new model) capable to carry 6 people instead of 4 seats has the default one.
Added: An RHIB imported from ArmA 2 (will replace later the default zodiac boats on some ships).
Fixed: Phalanx muzzle is now rotating while firing.
Fixed: Anti-Ship missiles working using pop-up option.
Fixed: Missiles rearm now is working on dedicated servers.
Tweaked: Some ships textures.

• Like 2

We all know how important a size is to a guy. I just like seeing things being of scale (especially when it comes to naval related vehicles) so I like trying to figure out the scale of them and how correct they are to the game and real life. It is a minor thing but figuring it out helps a lot. 

And for some reason now when a ship is destroyed a couple texts on the left side where messages pop up came up as: 
bat
batma

3 minutes ago, Sir BadNade said:

And for some reason now when a ship is destroyed a couple texts on the left side where messages pop up came up as: 
bat
batma

Post a screenshot about please and ensure that only mods running are those "HAFM" plus "CBA".