Αplion

HAFM NAVY - Submarines & Ships - v2

Aplion and Devastator_cm I want to ask both of you for permission to make a spanish translation of the weapon manual so, you, my clan and whoever that understand spanish can use it.

Can I?

6 minutes ago, Raul Marrero said:

Aplion and Devastator_cm I want to ask both of you for permission to make a spanish translation of the weapon manual so, you, my clan and whoever that understand spanish can use it.

Can I?

From my side feel free to do that ... so permission granted (I don't think that my partner will have any issue with that) ... what you need to make it ?

• Thanks 1

It would be nice to have the original editable document, if not, I can make my way to make it as similar as possible.

So the guide is great but if we want all details to be absolutely exact:

1.] The sonar shows all vessels as green dots and only torpedoes as red. So how can we tell which vessel is friendly or hostile?

2.] If the torpedo guidance is in Active mode, does that mean the torpedo might also hit friendly units? 

3.] What about anti-ship missiles too? In the Radar Guidance mode, is there a chance of them locking on a friendly unit?

4.] It is not mentioned but in order to fire an anti-ship missile I suppose you have to be up to 20 meters below the surface like with cruise missiles.

5.] Do countermeasures work with a torpedo being in wired guidance mode? 

6.] Can a torpedo miss its target because a submarine changes its diving depth?

Please note that I have not got he submarine add-on as I am expecting to download both when ready. 

And now the tricky part ... making SP/Coop, or just Coop, missions with the add-on once released. In the long run. The Campaign has the priority  :scratchchin:

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Raul Marrero said:

It would be nice to have the original editable document, if not, I can make my way to make it as similar as possible.

I will send you the link in PM when I am done with small adjustments

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, JohnKalo said:

1.] The sonar shows all vessels as green dots and only torpedoes as red. So how can we tell which vessel is friendly or hostile?

2.] If the torpedo guidance is in Active mode, does that mean the torpedo might also hit friendly units? 

3.] What about anti-ship missiles too? In the Radar Guidance mode, is there a chance of them locking on a friendly unit?

4.] It is not mentioned but in order to fire an anti-ship missile I suppose you have to be up to 20 meters below the surface like with cruise missiles.

Please note that I have not got he submarine add-on as I am expecting to download both when ready. 

And now the tricky part ... making SP/Coop, or just Coop, missions with the add-on once released. In the long run. The Campaign has the priority  :scratchchin:

1- It shows only torpedoes which are moving toward your ship in red. There is no IFF functionality in sonar

2- ofcourse and not just in active mode but also in passive mode you can hit a friendly. Torpedoes have their own sonars and picks up the target by themselves

3- ofcourse as radar guidence of AS Missiles detects the target by itself. There have been already several friendly fire cases in real life due to that.

for 2-3 in general, you need to assess the situation with proper situational awareness and decide your attack method and and technique properly to avoid friendly fire

4- no. You can fire from any depth. AS Missiles are fired via dummy torpedo as cover and goes out when it comes close to surface. It is not using the pressurized system like the cruise missiles

5- no. Counter measure is a device which emits loud noises to distract a torpedo which has acoustic guidance. Wired torpedo has continuous target update over a  fiber cable where target data is updated regularly from the vessel it launched

6- no

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, JohnKalo said:

1- Sonar usage is not for telling you which vessels are friendly or hostile. It is just to inform you that there are vessels on the area. For surface type vessels, your periscope together with "status & fire control" GUI will show you target side.

2- Yes, if you will use "Active" mode and another ship will be between your torpedo and your target, then if this ship will have "engines on", will attract the torpedo. Thats why on such cases "Wired" mode is used.

3- Similar to torpedoes, ant-ship missiles can hit wrong/friendly target if is between your ship and target. To avoid that use GPS mode with coords on some area after your ally ship is.

4- Supposing that you are referring to Submarines, the answer is "no". These missiles can be fired even on surface.

5- Nope, countermeasures can't do anything to wired torpedoes as this kind uses a fiber optic cord receiving continuously data from submarine.

6- As we are talking for an acoustic type but not using wired mode, then will not be affected by depth change as it will continue follow the sound source.

• Like 3

Okay thanks. All is clear now  :thumbsup:

Did not know friendly fire can also take place in real life with missiles too. Thought there was some kind of signature in each military. Like the reason why fighter jets do not lock on and bring down friendlies. From looooong distances you cannot know if a fighter jet is friendly or not. The same goes to Surface to Air missiles. So maybe there is a way to see if a unit is friendly or not. Not that civilian planes have not been brought down before due to mistakes.

2 minutes ago, JohnKalo said:

Did not know friendly fire can also take place in real life with missiles too. Thought there was some kind of signature in each military. Like the reason why fighter jets do not lock on and bring down friendlies. From looooong distances you cannot know if a fighter jet is friendly or not. The same goes to Surface to Air missiles. So maybe there is a way to see if a unit is friendly or not. Not that civilian planes have not been brought down before due to mistakes.

Also aircrafts can lock on friendly one ... this called "blue on blue" ... just the locked pilot can see that the lock is from friendly source and advise for "blue on blue" so the other pilot to break the lock against. But again accidents can happen easily on that case too ...

The reasons why communications win wars I suppose. 

• Like 2

Just now, JohnKalo said:

The reasons why communications win wars I suppose. 

Thats true :)

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, JohnKalo said:

What you speak about is IFF system, https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Identification_friend_or_foe

It is not for submarine sonar yet. By sonar they use pre recorded sounds to identify what the detected vehicle or thing is. So sound matching process to figure out if sound source you hear is something which was encountered, identified and stored before over a library in system 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, callofmarty said:

Hi, how do you fell bringing this into World War 2? Would you consider doing it after this release?

There are other mods working on that direction ... I don't think that we want to interfere with them ...

Well yes, but when they get to water elements its gonna be a while. Yours mod would just need proper model and textures, since everythink is essentially already in place.

anyway, thank you for answer.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, callofmarty said:

Well yes, but when they get to water elements its gonna be a while. Yours mod would just need proper model and textures, since everythink is essentially already in place.

anyway, thank you for answer.

we can be much helpful for modders need (and ask) our help on similar mods ... but first we need to complete ours ... after that feel free to ask ... we'll assist.

btw ... few things left to be finalized and we are really close to release ... FYI. So stay tuned.

• Like 4

Hey, for the Replenishment ship, could there be light defensive arms? like MAG 58s or 50.CALs and maybe on the bow an older crew-served Bofors 

18 hours ago, Αplion said:

btw ... few things left to be finalized and we are really close to release ... FYI. So stay tuned.

TUNED ??????    Im on the very top of it :-)

• Haha 1

If you could please not erase the armaholic link containing the old version of the stand alone HAFM add-on.. That is so as to keep missions containing your add-on as a dependency playable. They will be updated just not immediately after the update.  

2 hours ago, JohnKalo said:

If you could please not erase the armaholic link containing the old version of the stand alone HAFM add-on.. That is so as to keep missions containing your add-on as a dependency playable. They will be updated just not immediately after the update.  

I can't control what armaholic will do about ... note that after release these 2 mods will be incompatible. I suggest you clone the current version as new mod and use it every time you need something on that. Otherwise just open the mission.sqm with a text editor and change the classnames using the new ones (after release).

@JohnKalo There is typically no (legitimate) reason NOT to upgrade to the newer versions. Please do remember, that mods are an authors creation and if they believe that an update is in his best interest, then it is. 

You did offer to help out Cervantes with his Warships mod if I am correct. So would that mean possibly even working on the destroyer mentioned if a model can get worked out? Plus I gotta say I am quite excited about this new update. I really wish there was more naval related mods for arma but of course the mechanics on arma and naval battles is kinda odd so it is rare to find those types of things. Really appreciate this mods work.

Just FYI ... we are trying to figure out a way not to ruin your previously created missions with the old mod ... it is not easy and I don't know if we'll achieve that ... but still we'll try for it ...