dgidgi

Huge loss of FPS since few months

Hi everyone. I play Arma since a wile with the following config :

I5-6600
GTX-1070
16Go DDR4

I was able to run Arma 3 between 40 and 60fps with some drop to 20fps in MP when the server was overloaded. I didn't play the game during around 4 months and now I'm not able to reach more than 30fps in game and I'm almost every time at 20fps or less, even when I play SP. As I didn't played during this 4 months I didn't changed the setting of the game.

There is what I already checked :
Vsync in game : deactivated.
Vsync in Nvidia control panel : Deactivated
PhysX configured to GPU
GPU driver is up to date.
MemTest : OK
I checked the core of my processor, the 4 are well running.
When I'm running the game my processor is at 3.8GHz

I tried to set the graphic to low but it changed nothing.
I also noticed 2 strange things :
When I'm on the game menu or in VR mode I'm able to reach 200FPS with GPU used at 100%
When I go in option menu when I started a game I can see that my FPS are above 50-60fps, when I go back to the game it return to 20-30fps.
My CPU is used at 50% max and My GPU at 20%

I don't understand why my game is running so bad now. The only difference between when I was running the game at 50-60fps and now is maybe the windows 10 creator update but I checked all the problems which can occur on Arma following this update and everything seemed fine.

Maybe someone have a fix for this issue ?

With my specs arma can, in multiplayer, run at 35 FPS if I let it.  I however limit my FPS at 25.  This because when I left it at 35 and someone started shooting my FPS would drop to 5-6 because my CPU was trying to catch up.  Limiting my frames at 25 created a kind of buffer for my CPU.  You might want to try that?

Otherwise try running with normal settings with a view distance of ~2000 meters.

If you have an SSD and arma isn't on that yet try doing that as well.

And accept that you're probably not going to get 60FPS again :)  (maybe 50 though, idk)

"PhysX configured to GPU" is not a good idea.

In Arma3, PhysX is running in Game engine on the CPU.

Since PhysX SDK 3.x release an Nvidia GPU is no more needed.

Any profile built in Nvidia Parameters must be deleted all parameters must only be tweaked by the program with the games settings.

"... set the graphic to low... " is not a good idea either

Doing so you will get low quality graphics and you add a workload to the processor.

Having a good GPU and setting low quality switches some of the graphic jobs to the processor.

In Arma3, FPS are mainly a CPU job, so, it looks like something hinders the smooth running of the processor.

I will suggest some ideas ...

- answer the question "what have you added on your PC?" during thess 4 months.

- "during this 4 months" many updates have been released, so the 1st thing to do is to check the integrity of game files on Steam.

Verify Integrity of Game Files

note : I know it' quite tedious but you can also reload the game and as stanhope said " ...you have an SSD and arma isn't on that yet try doing that as well."

- test the game with a brand new profile.

- use "The Old Bear method ™"

Edited by oldbear
"Esprit d'escalier", be slow-witted in english don't sound so good ...

Thx for your quick answer.
Actually I run the game on a HDD 7200rpm. I will receive an M2 SSD tomorrow so I will test with Arma on It.
My goal is not 60. I prefer a constant 30fps than a 60fps which drop to 15 every 30sec.

Since 4 months, the only difference on my computer is the windows 10 April update and I have installed some Adobe software. I also performed a defragmentation.
I just verified the game file integrity, it was fine.

I also tested to launch the 32 version of the game, I didn't notice any difference.

Last but not least, I just activated the huge pages option in the launcher (I'm not sure of the real name of this option, in French it is "Autoriser pages volumineuses") and it seem that the fps are more stable.

A SSD will change nothing on the FPS side but it helps to treat the stuttering and texture clipping issue so the game experience is far more fluid.

Having installed some Adobe software, you must verify what are the programs launched in the background after PC initial boot.

Arma is extremely sensitive to memory management and all apps and programs working in the background can cause issues.

So at start, before a game session, no app must be allowed in the background*.

I think that to use the Enable large page support option or "Autoriser pages volumineuses" in French is also a good thing to do.

Perhaps, you will have to reverse this* before doing some job with Adobe software because they have their own requirements.

Of course, in any case, it is necessary to close browsers and so-called social networks before testing or playing.

2 hours ago, dgidgi said:

Since 4 months, the only difference on my computer is the windows 10 April update and I have installed some Adobe software. I also performed a defragmentation.

Really?

What about Intel's new microcode update for Windows that patches Spectre vulnerabilities?

From my own experience on 2 computers ...

- i7-4970/GTX 1060 3Go/16 Go DDR3 1866 Windows 64bits Home

- i7-7700K/GTX 1060 6Go/16 Go DDR4 3200 Windows 64bits home

... there is no such loss from "40 and 60fps with some drop to 20fps" to "20fps or less" in game.

Edit 30/08/2018 : I have done some testing using YAAB, what I had observed is a 1 to 5 PS loss between tests done last year and results from today tests.

But I am unable to tell if the loss in this test mission is related to the game itself, AI behaviour being rather different since Tank DLC release, or related to an external cause

Edited by oldbear
I am not really a bear, but feeling old sometimes

On 8/29/2018 at 6:55 PM, dgidgi said:

Disable Game Bar/DVR and Xbox Game Monitoring and see if that help you https://www.windowscentral.com/how-disable-and-remove-game-bar-windows-10-creators-update