Sign in to follow this  
USMC Sniper

I formatted my pc yesterday...

I formatted my PC yesterday, installed ME, then installed XP over it. There were no problems, but after I installed XP, when I restart, it says "No ATAPI CD ROM" or something like that, and it asks me to press a key to boot from a CD, but it loads after 5 secs anyways. My CD Drive works normally, so is there any way to get rid of this annoyance?

One question. Why did you install XP overthe most bloated and bug ridden version of windows ever released?

Why didn't you do a clean XP install?

he might only have an upgrade version of XP, I would say try get hold of another version of windows

I only have the upgrade, and I couldn't find my XP startup disk. It doesn't matter tho, I've done it this way for a long time and this has never happened before.

In your system BIOS it is still set to look to boot from the CD first. Go into the BIOS settings (press del during the memory test at the start) and look in iirc advanced settings, look for something like CDROM, C and change it to C, CDROM and then it will stop doing that.

If you can't find it, look harder! (or in the other settings in the BIOS)

xp upgrade you can do a clean install, it will just ask for you to insert your windows me disk during the install to verify that you have an earlier version. I'd do a clean install and things should go right.

COLINMAN

Try a fresh install of XP anyway. It runs far better, and you can format your HD with NTFS, which runs faster and is more secure than FAT32.

An install over Me will run slower than XP anyway....

Not after 6 months of use it isn't. Fat32 drives are bastards for fragmenting.

My 80 gig NTFS drive has been running perfectly for 8 months now, never had to use scandisk, or defragment.

The old 20 gig FAT32 on the other hand...... I should put it out of its misery really....

but then some programs/games dont like NTFS in which your stuck in that case, a partition of both works fine for me

NTFS (especially V5 from XP) is far more tolerant of problems than FAT, and it handles large volumes much faster and efficiently.

And the only programs which care what type of file system you have are utilities that manipulate the file system directly, such as defragmentation utilities -- name one application or game that cares...