Sign in to follow this  
der bastler

Project ofp internals

It seems the OFP Internals web page is off-line? sad.gif

But where to find some specs about the wrp-file format? I want to write a program that puts some bushes on my island -automatically, because that "double-click-c&p object name-enter-and-repeat" is stupid and annoying. Idea: open wrp-file and add some random selected bushes at random places

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

coord_x = user_grid_x + random(randnum*2) - randnum;

coord_y = user_grid_y + random(randnum*2) - randnum;

switch (random(bush_type_range))

{

CASE 0: put_bush("ker buxus.p3d", coord_x, coord_x);

CASE 1: put_bush("ker deravej.p3d", coord_x, coord_y);

};

<span id='postcolor'>

at the end of the file.

Afterwards you've to delete all under-water-bushes in WrpEdit (well, you cannot create object groups but destroying multiple objects is easy biggrin.gif). Such program would enhance my islands and save me a lot of time!

Where to find some format specs. I don't like to tamper with something I don't understand completely -unpredictable behaviour of OFP isn't funny at all... wink.gif

xmas.gif

I have the "wrp file format" what was posted on the internals page time ago. Also I'm interested of understanding the wrp file format but I suck at C coding and the guys I've talked with said that the format I supplied does not really match for the (intro.wrp original desert island) wrp file.

My goal is to make automatic texturing/road placing etc utility for OFP islands. We have lot of experience in that area from Falcon 4.0 theater building where we used to do months and months of manual work, until there was this automatic texturing and road/river placement utility which does the job in few seconds. Thats what I want to do for OFP islands.

Please email me flashpoint@nekromantix.com and I'll send you the format, maybe you can even help me to read the wrp file correctly.

http://flashpoint.nekromantix.com

Snake Man, PMC.

Have you checked out wrputils? don't bother with the foresting stuff, because it still suffers from the hanging over the edge of gradients problem, but use the "throw rocks" feature instead. Once you have "thrown" 10,000 or so, go into wrpedit and replace the rocks (skala stuff) with SINGLE bushes/trees. Good point is that you can make a TIFF mask to only populate certain areas, i.e. no sea, below the tree line (make a screenshot in wrpedit showing contours then do a fill operation in paint!wink.gif. Bad point is that the random seed generator appears to restart at the same point, so multiple iterations of the program double up the objects at the same coordinate. I'm a "C" coder with some GIS experience, so if you're thinking of making an open source project which we can all add to, let me know. I'll roll up my coding sleeves and get stuck in! The only wrp format docs I know of is the stuff done by zwadar back in October 2001. Do you know of any later, more precise documentation, or do we get stuck into the wrp files?

l8r,

Gigglebok

Problem of the format description I have: it's rather unprecise! It says terrain information is packed but it doesn't provide information about the type of compression. PCX-like? LHZ?

So it's very difficult to fseek the beginning of the object information. From my point of view, without additional info any attempt of tool-creation is doomed to fail -plus I won't have much time next weeks (university, thesis, that stuff). sad.gif

At the moment, I'm using the C&P-objectfilename-strategy, and every hill-side object is corrected by hand.

(time consuming mad.gif)

Perhaps in April I'll find some time to worry about these problems...

(RoadCreator, BushGenerator, ForrestGenerator)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (der bastler @ Jan. 01 2003,19:13)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Problem of the format description I have: it's rather unprecise! It says terrain information is packed but it doesn't provide information about the type of compression. PCX-like? LHZ?<span id='postcolor'>

I do not have a clue either about how the TERRAIN works at the moment, but Zwadar's docs are quite helpful about how the OBJECTS work, which is the bit we should look at. I've managed to tie together the docs by looking how wrpedit is adding objects and examining the before and after .wrp files. The object name list towards the bottom of the file is not encrypted - neither is the object placement list underneath that ( although after trying to decode those pesky X Y Z co-ordinates, you would think they were! ) confused.gif

It is fairly trivial to add to the object list, the wrputils program I mentioned in the previous post does just this. It may also give you a short term fix for foresting, but it sounds like you want the works really - roads, runways, houses, trees.....

It is a tragedy that all the hard work done by OFPinternals on wrpedit has been thrown away, and an even bigger tragedy that the project was not open source on sourceforge or similar so we could *all* continue to improve it, as had happened in the past with other community written game editors like doom and quake.

But also, if those guys could put together wrpedit, then why can't all of us OFP fans who can have a go at coding come up with the same thing, but better?

Maybe we need to start rounding up a posse, it's something to do while we wait for visitor! smile.gif

l8r

gigglebok

1) OFPInteranls is NOT dead, at least not yet they are taking a break and MAY return in a period of 1 - 20 months.

2) It wasn't open source because the creator has spent too much of his life almost sacrificing his job to make this and is too attached to it. ALSO a open source would bring many unorganized versions to the OFP world.

3) WrpEdit took 1/2 year to go to beta stage, being made by professionals (and I mean PRO'S) now think if you were to start from scratch how long would it take before the whole community became too bored waiting.

gigglebok just email me and I'll send you the WRP file descriptions, maybe you can get something out of those.

I'm also all for open source stuff.

Snake Man, PMC.