Nichols

[WIP] Jedburgh Outfitters... formerly known as Black Hornet PRS

Oh my Lord, this is amazing! This was literally my favorite mod ever, and I keep suggesting it for our community. I am extremely excited that it is getting an update!!!! Please let me know as soon as you have a release date! I am simply amazed by yall's attention to detail!

• Like 1

UPDATE 19 February:

Well I figured with the recent activity a little extra update was due today.

• Not a lot of progress but I did make a discovery in the weight area and are going to try and push the weight out of the <1 range and move it up closer to 5 to see what happens. It should not make a big impact on the space taken up in the backpack/chest rigs but it might have a minor impact. We shall see.
  • Still battling the winds on my test box is a pain in the rear but getting better.
  • One of the guys working on the config is looking at three camera views in EO/thermal; those being front, 45° down and 90° down. This is a new adjustment and we are going to see if it works as he thinks it can. 
  • Now have to find a way to make it where the AI doesn't notice it unless it is flying right at eye level or below. Right now the AI will shoot at the dang thing when it gets close...need to find a way to make it invisible without making it invisible to the player so it can be picked up on return or when it sits down somewhere and is shown on the map.
  • Lastly autonomous does not necessarily return due to the fact that it runs out of juice so fast; need to slow that down enough to make it close to real world.
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Small update now...been messing with the flight configs more and more and getting more frustrated by it. I am either too heavy for the flight time I am wanting or too light and the wind when loading up with ACE is blowing the thing backwards almost as soon as it takes off. Still plucking away at the configs so please bear with me as we work on it. 

• Like 3

Found this..somehow related to the mod.....and could give some ideas to developers. but I think you guys are spot on!!!

• Like 2

patientlty waiting for a public download this thing is much needed

• Like 2

Since you guys are asking for an update....

There has been no change; the flight configs are killing me and I am not sure if it is due to the size of the model or what. I have attempted to work it out using similar functions from the sample helo configs that is available from BI but its not functioning the way I want right now. I have it in game and it looks great but actually being able to use it is a completely different animal. I will try to keep you guys updated more as we move towards the summer time.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

19 hours ago, Nichols said:

Since you guys are asking for an update....

There has been no change; the flight configs are killing me and I am not sure if it is due to the size of the model or what. I have attempted to work it out using similar functions from the sample helo configs that is available from BI but its not functioning the way I want right now. I have it in game and it looks great but actually being able to use it is a completely different animal. I will try to keep you guys updated more as we move towards the summer time.

Why use helo configs?

Surely a drone config (Darter?) would be more relevant?

• Like 2

Thanks for the update! I check almost every day for updates! haha I, so desperately, want this mod to be ready, but not at the expense of quality.

On 5/14/2019 at 8:35 AM, domokun said:

Why use helo configs?

Surely a drone config (Darter?) would be more relevant?

Don't think you understood what I wrote. I wrote "I have attempted to work it out using similar functions from the sample helo configs that is available from BI but its not functioning the way I want right now." The functions are the same regardless of whether its a drone or a helo. However; having taken the advice from some guys who have done a ton of config work in the game before I attempted to use those functions and it still did not cure the problem. So its back to working on it from a rotor speed, maxSpeed, friction coefficient and drone weight (setMass) perspective. 

I appreciate the guys who are patiently waiting for this but there is a ton of tiny issues that seem like they pop up in the configs once I get one settled the others pop up. Hopefully none of them keep me from moving ahead.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Well, I was in the early process of creating something similar to this mod before I knew this existed. Guess I don't need to worry about that now '~'
No pressure to get it done Nichols. We can be patient! That model is absolutely amazing btw.
It's all about balancing to get it just right isn't it ^^;  If we can do anything to ease the process don't hesitate to ask.  

does this include the "zeus eagle" swooping down and eating the nano "Bug" uav?

• Haha 3

On 6/24/2019 at 2:13 PM, Spatsiba said:

does this include the "zeus eagle" swooping down and eating the nano "Bug" uav?

No but that would be awesome if it did.

Update 22 September:

Sorry for the long delay but I had ACL reconstruction surgery on July 18th and now have a back problem that has cropped up so its hampered my mod work and game time significantly since then.

I think I finally figured out what is the problem with the UAV. Thanks to some help from @theevancat and @Chairborne who gave me some help over on the A3 Hub discord. Anyway their help just MIGHT have solved the issue of the weight of the UAV and kept it from getting blown all over the dang map. My first quick test on my own box before my back problem popped up showed that it would at least hover in place. I had tweaked a config for forward motion by accident and it wouldn't respond to that input at all for forward motion now. So I started working on that but I haven't wrapped it up yet. I am planning on releasing on Steam pretty soon to get some feedback from you guys.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

Talk about persistence. Through operations and back problems the man continues on!!

Hope you feel better soon and thanks for all the hard work. If you pull this off you have to know it’ll be one of the most used mods out there 🙂

If there's one problem I have in life it's not knowing when to just stop...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Well its not flyable now:

Need to tweak the flight model some more. I might have screwed up something when I was on Percocet after knee surgery but I don't know what I messed up. I did tweak the model weight so that might have something to do with it.

So first release didn't really fall flat on its face; but rather sat on its ass in game. It was unable to get off the ground at all. So I went back and made a change to the overall mass of the model AGAIN. My dumb self had set it to 110.000kg instead of the 10kg that I wanted to set it at.

OK SO its almost flyable....it takes off and lands (violently) but its so small I don't think the AI even knows its there until/unless they can hear it. HOWEVER the only way I have been able to fly it is in auto hover mode or by turning the polling way down on my mouse. Even then its extremely hard to handle smoothly.

Needs some more tweaking.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm not sure exactly what is wrong. It went from not being flyable but able to at least maintain position against ACE wind but once you remove the auto hover and attempt to fly its extremely uncontrollable.

I have evened out the weight on the nose and tail in Object Builder; I have tweaked the flight characteristics; I have increased and/or decreased overall mass (weight) of the drone in Object Builder but nothing is fixing the death flip as I am going to call it now.

• Confused 1