Al Paca

ACE3: Kestrel giving wrong wind reading

In the ACE3 mod, the Kestrel 4500 gadget displays us the wind speed (among other things) at our current location. By pressing Shift+K, we can then determine direction. These two parameters must go into our ATragMX in order to properly compute scope adjustments for our sniper rifles.

Now...here's the issue.

The wind at one location is NOT THE SAME as the wind 1000m away, at my target.

Here's the scenario. This was done in the VR Arsenal.

There's no wind when I first spawn into the VR Arsenal. I walk up to one of the white boxes and bipod down.

I acquire one of the dummy targets 1000 meters way. I enter all needed information into the ATragMX and it tells me to zero for 8mil vertical and .29L horizontal.

Okay, there's no wind...but it's telling me to zero to the left anyways.

It must be the Coriolis and Magnum effects. Fine. I take aim and fire.

The bullet goes way too far to the side.

Why does this happen? I entered all the info correctly!

I begin jogging towards my target. It turns out, after about 100 meters, the wind starts to change! It goes from zero wind to 3 dots of wind to the right! Sure enough, the wind is blowing at 3.3 meters/second all the way at my target's location.

The Kestrel only gives me wind speed at my location. It says nothing about the wind 1000 meters away.

How do I account for this? Is this just something I have to live with? Is it an artifact of the VR Arsenal?

Why is the wind different 1000 meters away, and how can I detect this?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Its wind... its comes in gusts and is different at different locations and heights even in an open field, same as outside your window ;) personally i wouldn't test ace sniping in vr for various reason 1 being on an actual map you will get some idea from tree/grass/flag movement.

On 13.8.2018 at 6:39 AM, Al Paca said:

The wind at one location is NOT THE SAME as the wind 1000m away, at my target.

Yes correct.. That's how wind works..

The Kestrel only gives me wind speed at my location. It says nothing about the wind 1000 meters away.

Correct. The Kestrel is not magic.

How do I account for this? Is this just something I have to live with?

A real sniper would look at leaves or cloth pieces or anything that swings with the wind to judge the wind at his target.

Is it an artifact of the VR Arsenal?

Yes. It shouldn't be that big of a difference as you're getting. It's probably amplified by the fact that everything is so perfectly flat.
Objects like tree's and houses and hills are obstructing the wind.

Also you have to turn the kestrel into the wind to get correct measurements.

• Like 6

@Al Paca

If you have never shot a real weapon at long ranges it's a little difficult to understand but Dedmen nailed it. A Kestrel or wind measurement device is only good for the information at its current location. Unless they have come out with some magical laser, humidity measuring device that reads the flow of dust particles in the wind you aren't going to get completely and totally 100% accurate wind speeds at every range to your target. Just imagine if you have a 45 deg oblique wind from your right or left...that changes everything because the wind is nearly a full value wind at that angle. Now what if it also has shifted around to come in from head on from the target as you are shooting? Will that cause the bullet to rise or fall depending on if it is a right hand or left hand twist within the barrel and the speed of the wind. Now take all that into effect in a game and see if you can judge everything by the usage of a kestrel device on your end???? I seriously doubt it.

The basics are this....wind is not a constant at a your place and at your targets place. Coriolis Effect can come into play inside of 1km in shots but not to the effect that the magical 1000 meter range has on a shooter. Basically you as the shooter need to account for varying wind speeds every 100 meters along the trajectory of your shot. In a game setting that is difficult to do as its hard to not have tunnel vision. SO with that said...take your time and learn to use a little "Kentucky Windage" when you are taking those long shots. You might also want to read up a little on how to judge wind values and then apply those practices to the game a little bit; or just forget about long range shooting in the game. :don9:

http://www.rifleshootermag.com/shooting-tips/shooting_tips_determing_wind_values/

http://www.rifleshootermag.com/shooting-tips/does-wind-move-bullets-vertically/

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/10/02/coriolis-effect-on-long-range-shooting/

• Thanks 1