Hellmaker2a

Question about real satellite image

Hello
I am currently working on a map project, everything is not going too bad, I was able to find all the information by searching all over the net.

Despite everything I have a question to which I have no precise answer: 

"What type of treatment had the satellite image 1 compared to the 2? "

-Is this the zoom that is different?
-Is it a treatment (Photoshop, Gimp...)? And which one?

Because in my case the trees on the ground are clearly too visible. I have try with adding noise and gaussian blur but i'm not happy of this result.

Image 1

20180810.jpg

Image 2

20180811.jpg

Thanks in advance !

Looks like Altis, BI use "brown blobs" for tree's

This is one of the problem you must deal with when using a real satellite picture.

On the Sat picture you are getting foliage dark green color, but on your Sat picture you must have a color matching the ground texture you are using.

So, yes you must probably edit the picture ... I had used GIMP for all my A2 terrains ... some time ago.

Hi Folks,

I’ve created airports for flight simulator before using sat imagery - one great tool for PS and PSP is a free plugin called Metrix - it’s a color adjustment utility where you feed it any source and it will make the colors on your destination match those of your source... I used it so my sat imagery would seamlessly match that the surrounding terrain minimizing the demarcation... Maybe it would help - it’s a fantastic tool I’ve used for years...

Metrix:
http://www.jnrubin.net/psi/

Regards,
Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 3

After somes tries with Noise and Blur effects only on trees areas, i have this :

david10.jpg

Seems to be good :)

@rossoe : The first image is from Altis :)

Altis is NOT created with a satellite image directly imported. The BI maps are made with textures and patterns, painted in photoshop using various masks and other techniques based and depending on object placement. Straight imported sat imagery need a LOT of processing to look decent.

Thank you for the information, I suspected a little.
Anyway I think I'm going to spend a lot of time tweaking the satellite image and soil clutter (Gimp is my friend).

Currently on my map which is 10km x 10km (continental type) I have already placed almost all my roads and vegetation (remains the lakes, buildings, decorations...).

The path will still be very long... it's good I'm not hurry :)

Best Regards !