brians200

Standalone JTAC Script

I guess I don't understand. In your earlier comment, you mentioned being able to use the JTAC menu when controlling a UAV, which I have enabled. Can you explain to me exactly what the addon version would be and how it would be used?

I am working on making guided missiles for this script.  I plan to make two versions.

Version 1) After a long acquire time, a missile is fired and automatically tracks the vehicle (going to limit it to land vehicles). The laser can be turned off after acquisition.

Version 2) After a short acquire time, a missile is fired and automatically tracks the laser, allowing the missile course to be changed as it flies in.

Here is a work in progress video of version 1. (The final version will have the missile come in from a random direction, just like the rest of the projectiles. In the video, they come from the same direction every time for testing purposes)

Questions for the audience: Should these missiles always hit within the best of my ability to program them? Should there bit a % chance in the config for them to miss?

• Like 2

1% chance to miss.  And is there plan to pack this to addon?

5 hours ago, sammael said:

1% chance to miss.  And is there plan to pack this to addon?

Can you explain what you are hoping to get out of an addon with this?

It is a simple script that mission makers can choose to add to their mission if they feel like adding the JTAC capabilities the script provides. I am not sure what the transition from a script that the mission maker decides to include to an addon that the user has to install would provide?

Here is a video of version 1 in action.

As you can see, there are two numbers involved.

The first number, "Lock", is the current amount the missile is locked. It has to reach 100% before the missile is fired. This number does not go up if you are not aimed at the target. Once the missile is locked, the laser can be turned off as it will track the vehicle automatically. I am  thinking of making this take 30-40 seconds before 100%.

The second number is "Lock Lost". This number begins counting when you are not aimed at the target. If it reaches 100%, the lock is lost and you must start over. This number is reset to 0 every time the laser is put back on the vehicle. Currently it is about 3-4 seconds before reaching 100% and canceling.

Alternatively, I can just use one number. It would count up when you are on target and count down when you are off target. Thoughts?

Feedback is welcome.

@brians200I don't think any other vehicles have issues, it was just when they operated the UAV,s. Seems to be all fixed now. Great work on the tracking, that is pretty neat

Thanks @schweyer!

Here is a video of version 2 in action.

This just has a brief period before the missile is launched. After it is launched, it just targets your laser. As you can see on the third missile, you can redirect it pretty easy. I have limited how much the missiles can turn, so don't expect miracle turns.

12 hours ago, brians200 said:

Can you explain what you are hoping to get out of an addon with this?

I want to put this addon once in game  and play  in EDEN editor.

Right now I must put this script in every new map mission in editor. For me it wiil bw easy "plug and play" addon version

Ver 2 is way better

I have been thinking about how I want the missiles to miss, without having to throw the missile at the end of it's trajectory. I have thought of two ways so far. Any other miss ideas are welcome.

1. Guidance failure. If triggered, the missile will stop steering towards the target and just travel in a straight line.

2. Blow up in the air. Something catastrophically goes wrong with the missile in flight, causing it to blow up, like below.

17 hours ago, sammael said:

I want to put this addon once in game  and play  in EDEN editor.

Right now I must put this script in every new map mission in editor. For me it wiil bw easy "plug and play" addon version

Ver 2 is way better

I understand now. That will definitely be a stretch goal as I don't even know where to begin with that. I really like the idea though.

Missiles very complex and expensive stuff. I meant modern missiles have a very low chance to miss or system fail

Yup, I agree. The failure chance will be low by default and configurable. I just want to add some level of fairness to the script. The other projectiles are given some level of error while being fired, so I was keeping within the spirit of that. While testing my code, I was able to hit helicopters going full speed with these missiles, as well as the considerably slower land vehicles.

Just a quick reminder that when it comes to testing any sort of "timed" restrictions that you should test that in real time conditions in a real mission and not just at an open area like an airport. You just want to feel certain that whatever times you choose for the "lost lock" are actually doable and fair under actual in-game fighting conditions where it wont be as easy to maintain a visual lock since there are trees, bushes, rocks, buildings everywhere... not to mention bullets flying and vehicles moving much faster in a panic state.

...looking really cool by the way, can't wait to implement this new version into my Duws Modified :-)

On 2018. 8. 6. at 12:59 PM, brians200 said:

I am here to release my standalone JTAC script for mission makers to use freely in their missions.

Hey,

May I use your JTAC script to make my mission?

But I want to modify and limit the functions to Cruise Missiles Barrage only.

I want to ask for your permission before modifying your scripts.

And of course, I will stipulate in the creatediary section that all credits regarding JTAC feature goes to you.

Looking forward to your reply.

Hello Everybody,

I am sorry I had to take a leave of absence, but I am back. Not only am I back, but I bring you gifts.
Here is a preview version of the guided missiles: https://github.com/Brians200/EPD-JTAC/releases/tag/v1.3

There are two modes:

• Titan AT
    • After locking on to your laser for about 10 seconds, the missile is fired and tries its hardest to hit where your laser currently is pointing.
    • The missile will adjust if you move your laser while it is coming down
      • There is a limit to how much the missile can adjust in a given time period, so don't expect miracle turns.
  • Titan AT FnF (Fire and Forget)
    • After a short lock on of about 10 seconds, the missile will automatically follow the ground vehicle you locked on to.
    • There is a bit of a mini game for locking the vehicle.
      • When you are pointed at the vehicle, the lock percentage counts towards 100%
      • If you stop pointing at the vehicle, a lost percentage starts to count up.
      • If the lost percentage goes to 100%, you will need to start over
      • If the target is reacquired, the lost percentage drops back to 0 and the lock percentage continues where it left off.

I am looking for feedback on timing and whether any other missiles should be included.

Still todo:

• Add in game docs explaining the new missile modes.
  • Add in missile failures (configurable percentages)
    • Explodes mid air
    • Loses tracking
  • Allow drones to call in the guided missiles.
  • ?

For future reference, this script is free to use in your own missions. All I ask for is a tiny bit of credit.

If you would like to change what ordinance are available, you can find all of the options in the jtacsettings.sqf.

You are free to add and remove ordinance, but you will have to figure out what settings are required to hit the target with new shells. Message me if you would like some help on this as it isn't easy.

Thanks,

Brian

I have updated the original post with the full release of version 1.3.

Here is a quick list of changes

V1.3

• Cleaned up code
  • Simplified settings menu
  • Added guided missiles with two firing modes
    • Follow the laser
    • Fire and forget vehicle tracking
  • Added two failure modes for the guide missiles
    • Loss of tracking
    • Unplanned rapid disassembly

I also finally got around to making a video for the script showing off some of what it can do.

As always, feedback is welcome.

- Brian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello Everybody,

I am here to post an update of what is coming down the line.

In the next release, JTAC operators will be able to control which direction the shots are fired from:

There are new strafing run attacks:

I am planning on revamping the reload timer system. I am wanting to have a separate reload timer for each attack type. Additionally, there will be several short reload timers before a long reload timer is trigger. As an example, this would help to simulate an airplane dropping a bomb, turning around, dropping another bomb and returning to base to reload.

As always, feedback is welcome.

- Brian

I have updated the original post with the release of V1.4.

I have revamped the reload system and would like opinions on the chosen settings.

Each category now has an independent reload timer and the other categories can be called in while the recently used ones are reloading.

There is also the concept of a short reload (simulating a vehicle turning around and reacquiring a target) and a long reload (simulating the vehicle returning to base to rearm).

Each category has a capacity assigned to it and each attack has a point value. As long as the sum of the point values do not push the category above the capacity, a short reload will be performed. Once the capacity is reached, a long reload will happen.

V1.4

• Player can choose which direction the projectiles are fired from
  • Strafing runs have been added
  • Each attack category now has its own independent reload timers.
    • There is a short reload timer to simulate a vehicle turning around and reacquiring the target.
    • After several shots in the category a long reload timer is triggered to simulate the vehicle returning to base to rearm.
  • Added reloaded notification
  • Fixed UAVs being unable to call in guided missiles
  • The grenades category has been removed and a couple of options moved to the bullets category.
  • Code clean up and optimizations.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have updated the original post with the release of V1.41

The JTAC players can now check how much time is remaining on each of the individual reloads.

The asterisk next to the reload timer means the guns have not finished firing yet and the timer has not started yet.

tJl9OLL.jpg

vjZPBbP.jpg

Thank you and enjoy.

I have updated the overview with the latest update v1.5. In addition, I have added youtube videos of all the categories to better show off what this script can do.

V1.5

• Separated nonlethal attacks into smoke and night attacks.
  • Added more smoke attacks for signaling and concealment.
  • Added more documentation to the diary for the JTAC user to read.
  • Added new parameters to the projectile code so mission makers can more easily provide their own attacks.

I welcome feedback for balance and other suggestions.

Thank you and enjoy.

• Like 2

Did you ever sort an addon version @brians200 ?  For instance the addon picks up if any JTAC units are present and allows them all the options (or controlled options)