scotg

Bone name needed for character

Hey all. I have a helmet that comes into the wearer's view just barely, so I've put it into the view_pilot LOD. Unfortunately, the ambient soldier animations make this impractical, and half the time he's checking for gum on his boot. The helmet in view_pilot consequently obscures all visibility while the character's head is down. I'm trying not to go into an NCO tirade of how wriggly the soldier and his head are -- no military bearing whatsoever! Instead, I was wondering what the name of the player camera view is, so I can name or attach the view_pilot helmet to that. The camera is a lot less affected by these animations.

An answer would also help with future models since I intend to make visors, sunglasses, and other head attachments that will come into view.

Of course, the best option would be for BI to have made the ambient animations much, much more subtle, and to attach the player view point at a better place on the head. This would solve so many other problems (like looking down and not seeing where my neck should be, better sight alignment, proper visibility in vehicles, etc).

You got all the available bones for character in the model.cfg skeleton. Unfortunately I think "head" is the best option to get stuff move right along the heads movement.

Stuff modeled in 3D to be in the view work quite badly afaik because of the issues you have ran into now. The first person camera view does not quite work like human eyes, so the near vision edge perspective can go really screwy fast.

Well that sucks. I was thinking maybe attaching to the Neck instead, but I think we'd see the same problem with slightly different obstruction. There has to be something different, because while there are visible indications of ambient animation in 1stPOV, the player view is more subtle and not exactly synced up to what the character is doing. To be specific, we might see a brow wipe and walk/run bobbing, but we are never subject to having to look down at our shoes and weapons - BUT THESE ANIMATIONS ARE STILL GOING ON! See, I didn't even know that until I put the helmet in pilot_view and tested in-game.

Yeah for all the reasons you've ran into modeled stuff in pilot view don't really work well.

Texture overlays are best that can be done I think.

14 hours ago, HorribleGoat said:

Texture overlays are best that can be done I think.

Hello, and welcome to 1993.

On 8/4/2018 at 1:06 AM, scotg said:

half the time he's checking for gum on his boot

On 8/4/2018 at 1:06 AM, scotg said:

I'm trying not to go into an NCO tirade

You mean like the salute the Arma dudes give without standing at attention?

• Haha 1