Sign in to follow this  
evrik

Arma 3 hands / arms + Arma 2 uniform port

Hello all,

I am wondering if someone on here can help. For an upcoming mod I am working on, I've recently ported over some of the old arma 2 uniform models - namely Takistan civilians  / militia. I have the models working, in-game, and complete with textures, wounds, backpacks the lot. They are already released inhouse for testing and perform fine. The only issue I am experiencing is with the arma 3 hands. While they are in place on the arma 2 uniform, running inside the sleeve, I get a varying amount of clipping from the forearms through the sleeves, depending upon which weapon the unit is holding (mostly the left arm holding the front of the gun). Clearly there is some weighting issues as the arm and sleeves appear to move differently when raised in this way. While this is not too much of a problem when the unit is AI - as you can't really see the problem - if the units were to be Zeus controlled or used in TvT's, it would be noticeable. If possible, I'd like to fix the issue, but I am not a modeller, so could do with someone in the know suggesting the best course of action, or a step-by-step guide. I could potentially increase the scale of the sleeves to conceal the problem, but it might look somewhat weird.

Any advice?

Thanks.

Why do you have the arm geometry inside the sleeve? What's stopping you from deleting the vertices that won't be shown because they should be inside the sleeve? 

Well, it's the arma 3 hands / forearm. The sleeves are more like jackets, rather than tight cuffs, so you can look up inside as the sleeves have an small section of interior. That is why you need some of the arm in place as well. I'll take a couple of images tomorrow and post them up to show you what I mean. I may be able to trim some of the arm down, so the clipping isn't as bad. Perhaps if I make the sleeve a flat cuff rather than having a cone going up inside, I can improve things further.

Here are the images. You can see the clipping in First Person and 3rd. Also, the placement of the hands in the model is shown below.

AEFAC9D1B126219F51468BEC0BDCFA6A76AA31BB

8E6410743B6B55A375004AAD33EC92785BFC62BB

uniform1.jpg

Mmmh you'd want the wrists to have higher weights for LeftForeArmRoll and RightForeArmRoll so they follow the hand more closely.

Thanks for the reply. When you say wrists, do you actually mean the section of coat that surrounds the wrists, rather than the wrists on the hand model? I'm guessing it is better practice not to change the weights on the arma 3 hands as they are probably better set up for holding the weapons.