Sign in to follow this  
kibyde

Which mouse do you recommend for ArmA

Hi All,

thank god my Mad Catz Rat9 mouse finally broke down so now I can get a new one. Since there are so many different manufacturers for mice these of which I had never had the chance to try one I would like to know if someone can recommend a mouse that works particular well with ArmA since that is the game I play most at the moment and that has tons of key binds. Of course I have some preferences:

-should have enough buttons to map anything weapon/gun related to the mouse

-stable drivers and software to customise buttons

-must be wireless

-suitable for BIG hands (seriously, I have hands like the incredible hulk)

-ergonomic design for long sessions would be nice

-DPI is not very important (maximum DPI I used so far was 2,000)

-LED and bling is not important

-build quality is important but price should not be more than 150 AUD.

Very interested in your recommendations.

Cheers,

k

13 hours ago, kibyde said:

-DPI is not very important (maximum DPI I used so far was 2,000)

DPI is actually very important, especially if you use scopes and longer distance engagements are your thing.

Best bet would be a mouse that can switch dpi on the fly with a single button (I'm using the Logitech G502).

Since you can rest your weapon in arma having variable dpi is something not to be underestimated.

In the following video I'm switching between 7500 dpi and 200 dpi for aiming.

@20 seconds

Cheers

I killed my RAT9 a long time ago! I'm a big fan of the Logitech G700S now.

Thanks for the input. Let's see if I can get one of these in Oz.

Costs up to 1,012 AUD. A ripper deal!

(Sorry OP, I didn't see that you want a wireless mouse. So the following is not going to help you. They are all wired.)

I would say pretty much any mouse that is marketed as MMO mouse would do. They have more than enough buttons to map my oftenly-used commands.

I have used the offerings from Logitech, SteelSeries, and several from Razer. To me, their main difference is tracking and software/driver capability. The later is due to the fact that I use it for work as well, as far as mapping is concerned they are the same. The rest, like ergonomic and button placement, I can adapt to it.

Of the ones that I have used, I would suggest the SteelSeries Rival 500. The tracking is the best amongst them. The feel is consistent whether you are moving really slow or really fast. The button placement is not the usual 12-button thumb grid. Most of its buttons are placed around the thumb (i.e. when you grip the mouse your thumb doesn't grip onto a button), and there are a few more next to the left and right mouse button.Software-wise it is stable, I would say. Configurations are synchronised through cloud and it works without problems. The mouse has internal memory to store the currently loaded config/profile. If you ever only need one config, you can uninstall the driver/software once you are done. If you would need to switch to another profile, you need the software. (I kept mine installed)

The second place for me is the Razer Naga. I owned the 2014, and the newer Trinity version. The latter is basically incremental improvement over the 2014 version (with one added feature I'll get to later). Main difference is the software/driver. The latter mouse is using a newer driver.

Tracking is good on both. The feel is consistent. However, I found that if I move extremely slowly (like a few pixel), it kind of feel "sticky". Maybe it is due to the friction and mouse surface? I am not sure.

The button is the standard 12-button thumb grid. They look small, but I don't have the problem of acidentally clicking a different button. One thing I do like is that you can press two adjacent buttons at the same time, if you decided to do so. I mapped the Alt key and the zoom key (mouse button 4) next to each other, so I can make a quick scan around me with only my right hand (I am lazy :hehe:).

The new driver is mostly okay, but acts up occasionally, and I had experienced problem with cloud sync once, where some macro and config were messed up. Good thing is that you can export all your config, when thay happened I just restore from the export. The newer Naga Trinity has onboard memory for 4 profiles and the macro used. So yes, if you only ever need 4 profiles, you can uninstall the driver should you feel like it. Everything works without the driver installed. THIS IS NOT THE CASE FOR THE 2014 NAGA, IT HAS NO ONBOARD MEMORY AND YOU WILL NEED THE OLD DRIVER. Old driver is more stable, though.

The newer version has swappable thumb grip. You can change the thumb grid to 7-button (arranged in a ring around your thumb) or 2-button (like most regular mouse, the mouse button 4 and 5). Although honestly I don't really see a reason to do so.

The above should be within your price range, with the new naga being more expensive.

-----

I used the Logitech MMO mouse (G600 I think?) but the tracking is horrible. It could not handle sudden and quick movment. When you, say, make a quick movement to the left and then quickly stop, the mouse pointer will oscillate quite a few times. I have tested it for quite a while and I am quite sure that oscillation is not due to my hand. I would assume it's due to the sensor or firmware processing issue.

It does have some nice features. There are 3 onboard profiles, and there is a shift button as well, so you will be able to have twice as much mapping in each profile compared to the competitors.  I would really like to love the mouse. But the tracking is the deal breaker.

Edited by martin_lee
typo, and I may be blind

I'm using the Roccat NYTH for A2, don't play A3.

It a very good customisable mouse. ;)

i have been using steelseries XAI laser for a while, then moved to razer deathadder and never looked back (i currently have 2 on 2 separate PCs - chroma and elite). I best fit for my hand, i prefer the elite since i can switch progressively the DPI while ingame (the XAI had programmable profiles stored on mouse you could switch between 2 of them on the fly). I never felt the need for multiple thumb buttons, 2 are enough for my needs (the XAI had 4, 2 on the right, 2 on the left)

Can agree with @PuFu on the deathadder, absolutely cracking mouse, not good for just arma, but in general its a fantastic bit of kit. In general, I am massively fond of razer kit, if you've got the money for it they're a great choice

Thanks for all your input, guys. I was able to get a Swiftpoint Z for a very fair price. So far I am very impressed what this little rodent can do. What makes it stand out are the pressure sensitive buttons and the built-in gyroscope. The pressure sensitive buttons make the mouse very intuitive to use. I mapped thing like right click for the scope but if you click a bit harder it also holds breath and lowers the DPI. I mapped the single left click to do nothing and press left click a little bit harder to shoot. This eliminates accidental firing and I can still rest my index finger on the left mouse button. Same with grenades. 2 other buttons are mapped for stance up and down. Pressing them harder triggers prone and crouch stance.

On some videos and reviews you can see people using the gyroscope for leaning but this does not work very well for me instead you can use the gyroscope to map more buttons. So all the weapon functions like laser on/off, rest weapon etc. are accessable by quickly lifting the mouse and press a button. There is tons of other stuff I could map and it is super easy to do and to remember. If anyone is looking for a good mouse expecially for ArmA (10 Million key binds necessary) try the Swiftpoint Z.

• Like 1

Now, that mouse... God that was expenive... But man is it packed with features.

I am very curious about how it performs. Would you share a bit with us when you've used it for a while :happy::thanx:

I got it for 200AUD which is roughly 145USD. It comes with its own case with foam cutouts and different button shapes you can install. So far I'm very happy with it. The software is very easy to use and you can program everything you want. A big plus in my opinion is that the software emulates a joystick with 32 buttons. This is great because that means you don't need to assign keyboard buttons to the mouse. You assign these joystick buttons to the mouse buttons. In ArmA control configuration you then click the mouse button and it registers the joystick button. In the past I had the problem that the all the buttons on the keyboard were already assigned and I needed more buttons or assign multiple commands on one button which can lead to problems and is hard to remember. Not anymore.

If you have questions about the mouse let me know.

• Like 1

Thanks for the sharing :grinning: Seems like it is the child between a joystick and a mouse :hyper:

Have you tried using the joystick function in game for, say, flying a helicopter? Does the gyroscope works well?

Seems like I may have to start saving up... (And think of a way to survive the wrath of my girlfriend... :icon_confused:)

Yes, the gyroscope works well but I hardly use that feature. I have a HOTAS for flying. When you convert the mouse to the "joystick" you have to clip an adapter to the bottom of it. That means as long as it has that adapter you can not use it as a mouse. However it might perform well in games where you use a joypad normally but for some reason you want to use this mouse instead.

I use the gyroscope mostly for double assigning buttons andd if I hold it at a 45 degree angle I go into config mode where I can change certain things on the fly (DPI, display, profile, etc. ) without using the software.

• Like 2