avibird 1

Is overclocking really an answer to improve FPS for arma3 need help.

I am not a noob and know this has been talked about for a while but need some clarification what is the best things to use to boost my FPS during game play with moderate to large scale missions. I know my hardware is going old my PC was made for ARMA2 when arma first came out.

windows 10

intel i5-2500k CPU @3.30Ghz

AMD radeon HD 6950 with a core clock 800Mhz

System Memory 8GB

standard hard dive 600GB

motherboard P67A-UD3P-B3 F2 Gigabyte

Now for my questions.

I have the ability to overclock my GPU using

Radeon software or MSI afterburner

I can improve my  memory clock to 1325 MHZ from 1250 GPU clock to 840MHZ from 800 using both programs. Which is a better program to use for ARMA3. I really can't tell.

Does Razer Cortex really work for ARMA3 I don't really see any real difference with FPS or general lag

I DL this program call timer resolution it is used for decreasing lag with keys mouse and movements. Does this really work?

My intel i5 has a  turbo boost technology does this really work or should I really overclocking it.

With my arma sitting set to mostly set to high I get around 114 FPS when I preview main menu if I adjust some of my sitting to low and standard/disable i can get 160's however if I put my self in a empty world I get around 45 and high 30's in a town.

When I start one of my mission I only get in the mid 20's to the high teens  still playable but sometimes next to the towns it drops to the low teens at this point the game becomes unenjoyable. I just need to improve like 5 FPS or so

Hi avibird1,

Cant really answer your questions on overclocking or anything related as i've never done it, and with my current setup which is fairly new

i dont need to overclock, everything is maxed and i get 80+ most of the time.

What i can recommend however is to swap your hardrive for an SSD, that will increase performance, and eliminate any stuttering or anything of the

sort if you have it, none the less SSD is ideal for arma3.

Also ram, you want to max it out, for example i have my ram maxed out to 32gb, but the frequency is 3600 which is the highest i can go for my mobo, it makes a big difference.

So if you can go as high as you can afford, and remember that ram speed make a difference too, here is a tech review the I7 700k and ram/speed and what fps they were getting:

https://techreport.com/review/31179/intel-core-i7-7700k-kaby-lake-cpu-reviewed/11

Lastly remember that the view distance is dependent on the cpu, so my suggestion is to keep it down to like 1500-2000m doing that will help with fps.

Hope that helps.

• Like 1

I think I found the max of the motherboard 2133 that is the max for my motherboard I think lol

Should I have my OS on old HD and Arma and Steam on new SSD ?

11 hours ago, avibird 1 said:

I think I found the max of the motherboard 2133 that is the max for my motherboard I think lol

Yup thats it, but for the storage it can go up to 32gb so a plus there at least.

9 hours ago, avibird 1 said:

Should I have my OS on old HD and Arma and Steam on new SSD ?

You could do that, my whole setup my whole setup for example is all on SSD's, my OS is on an SSD, all my games (steam) is on an SSD by itself,

and then i use an SSD just for video recording and storage.

I'd at least have arma3 on an SSD.

After doing some more research on my computer specs my CPU i5 2500 Sandy Bridge processor can only utilize Ram at 1333 megahertz. I'm not ready for a complete PC overhaul new motherboard  GPU CPU at this time that will come when arma4 gets announced and new specs. If I add 16GB of additional RAM @1333 with a new SSD for my OS and steam applications hopefully that will improve my FPS for large missions to reach the low 20s I would be extremely happy. It should run me a little over $200 to do this upgrade and hopefully it will pay off ?

Ok, so to avoid any misconceptions:

- SSD and more RAM of the same speed won't improve FPS per se, but it might decrease the stuttering when loading in new map assets (basically moving around) and/or playing with large view distances. SSD will also decrease load times. With less than 16GBs of RAM SSD is a must have.

- CPU overclocking is the most effective way to directly improve FPS during busy (med to heavy) missions but also the most "dangerous" (it's not, if done properly). Arma loves higher CPU clocks...

- The RAM speed the CPU can utilize is only the stock speed, you can "overclock" beyond that but you also might wanna know what you're doing. It's also very effective way of increasing FPS in Arma.

- Unless you play with totally maxed out view distance (12k etc.) you won't probably need 32GB of RAM. The CPU will struggle before that anyway. I'll say that 16GB is most optimal as long as it is high speed.

This might not be the absolute truth about Arma's performance but most of it checks out from my and others experience.

• Thanks 1

Well my motherboard and CPU can only handle 1333 speed of RAM I got my system almost 8 years ago lol time flys. 

I can get 8 MB of the same ram speed of DDR3 1600 @1333 megahertz for around 75 dollars and a 250 GB SSD for 75. An update for 150 dollars after 8 years is not bad but will it improve my FPS in moderate to heavy missions that is the question. 11-16 FPS is really not enjoyable and hurts my eyes and gives me a freaking headache lol 18 to 23 I can cope with it ?. Is it worth it attempting to upgrade! 

2500K was one of my favorite chips of all times -what a great overclocker it was. So much value for the buck *wipes tear away*

You'd be crazy not to overclock it frankly, especially if its for Arma. The results were similar to how mainstream games get a huge FPS bonus from top of the line GPU's -Honeybadger Arma don't give a sh*t bout no GPU! It wants pure unadulterated CPU clockspeed. IIRC, I ran my 2500 at a stable 4.6 and the net ARMA fps gains were very impressive.

• Like 1

Lol I am having major issues getting into my bios now with Windows 10. For some reason I can't get into with holding my F2 key ect. When I try to go into it from the recovery mode screen the option is no longer there. 

My Gigabyte motherboard used to have this program called easytune that allowed me to OC my CPU with a quick hit of a button but I never really used it but after 8 years the program is no gone and I don't have access to it anymore. 

If I could OC my CPU to 4.0mhz I would be very happy the CPU goes from 3.30 to 3.70 with the turbo boost function supposedly it has. Did you add many fans when you OC to 4.6?

The more I read  about Arma and RAM uses more RAM or even a SSD drive will probably do  very little for my over FPS. ARMA will not use more the 2 or 3 MB of RAM.  I may added 8 GB of more RAM just to have 16 so I can keep other program up. I have read that Windows 10 can use a lot of extra Ram at times.   

250GB SSD for only ARMA3 OS and steam.

Still very confused what to do at this point. Like you said Arma likes fast clockspeed of the CPU over anything eles. My motherboard really can't handle a much faster processor than I have now so OC should really be my answer but it scares me because I don't know what I'm doing ?

Honestly dont remember the case/fan in that build its been so long - but as far I remember, it was easy to get to 4.2/4.3 with little to no adjustments. Use the links above to help you learn basic overclocking, that website is where learned everything in the beginning just ask around their forums.

• Thanks 1