icebreakr

[IceBreakr/IBIS] Southeast Angola 1974

IceBreakr presents:

Southeast Angola 1974

Latest version: v1.3 (Apr 28, 2019)
Previous release: v1.1 Aug 15, 2018

Terrain: 10240x10240 meters / HD

Island has been created in honor of Recce 1 Commando Lt. Freddie Zeelie that died in combat operation in 1974. 

Island is set to year 1974 when South Africa's 1 Recce Commando Unit operated from FOBs in the North Namibia. The South African "Recces" were deployed to many local hot spots during the late 1970s and early 1980s, particularly Angola. Namibia-Angola border had no fence at that time, only visible cutout grass (line) about 1/4 down from the North tip of the map.
There is only one FOB in central South region with an operational airstrip. Back in 1974 most of the land has been without any roads and permanent settlements, so we try to simulate that harsh environment in this map. But I've added some roads for AI to somehow cope with the harsh terrain. Map is dedicated to heroes of the war and used by South African SF soldiers that also enjoy Arma 3. And hopefully rest of you, too 😉

Screenshots:

?imw=637&imh=358&ima=fit&impolicy=Letter

8CB04D6706833AC48D881961E9F17051F32C9566

59042B27322ED2817D2D32BD25E8B353B8AF589D

B2E6C2C0DEA5459B64E4603BAEA3D1DAC0134FBD

Media:

1. Article in Spanish: https://arma3milsim.wordpress.com/2018/07/21/nuevo-mapa-southeast-angola-1974/

Download:

STEAM https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=1446500688

• Like 37
  • Thanks 3

Awesome! African maps are something that really need more attention. 

• Like 3

Phantom Pain feels...

• Like 3

Angola 1996 in my case, very good visual render on this part of this big and beautiful country.

Muito Obrigad' for your work and your release.

A thought for Obmar and the Bush Wars Conflict Mod Team.

• Like 5

Looking fantastic mate, really like to see more African styled maps come along, it adds a bit of variation from the jungle, afghan or eastern European maps

• Like 2

We're playing tonight at 2100 CET (8PM UK).

Addons (Steam Workshop):

http://vojak.si/rabim/

Meeting point Teamspeak3:

ts.vojak.si - pass: Pilatus

Welcome!

YES!!!!!!!  MORE AFRICAN MAPS!!!!  Outstanding!!

Thanks Ice!

A few suggestions.

I flew over the terrain for 30 minutes and I did not find any villages, not even huts.  

The only landmarks in the terrain are the crossroads, the border and the airstrip.  Combatants have to fight for something other than crossroads.

May I suggest adding a few watering holes, about ten, scattered about the border and some tiny villages nearby.  I suggest the watering holes be marked, not necessarily the villages. My limited reading of the area was that the rebels relied on locals for food and water.

The terrain itself is challenging with just the tracks.  Challenges for players would be no electronic navigation aids, such as GPS.

Edited by badanov
Mispelling
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Gruntini said:

Looking good. As badanov said, some structures here and there would be nice. Just a handful of scattered villages would improve this greatly, I think.

This terrain is terrifically good, one of his best.

There are watering holes... 3 of them to be exact. But you need a good tracker to find them haha ;)

Also there are around 11 huts and even more small shacks. But yeah, in 1974 there weren't many there and nomadic life didn't call for the permanent housing.

• Like 3

@icebreakr  Will Rowalla be similar in style to this regarding landscape?  This is a beautiful terrain.  Well done.

Wow, That looks awesome! Is this kinda replacement for Tonal or it is still on the works? BTW, is there any armaholic mirror or a link for dl it from your site? My steamworkshop is bugged (I can dl missions but the mods are a lost case) and I still use mods the good ol way =)

Cheers and kudos, as always ;)

Icebreakr! :slayer:

You are the best map maker!  :yay:

But not much of a political commentator!  :sulkoff:

Congratulations for the wonderful terrain, this is one of the must haves

I can't wait to make a for real ALiVE mission with some custom objectives that you as a player have to patrol to find....maybe setup some triggers that will give bearings and distance like a sighting report coming in over the radio...hmmmmm.