bludski

RHS terrains. RHSKATYA, RHSPKL, RHSVIDDA

I did do some experiments making believable snow back in the day but it didn't work as well as I hoped because of differences in light on the clutter made it stand out too much. Imo it did add tons to immersion though.

• Like 7

Having already been politely declined, if you ever change your mind about external config patches for Vidda, you know I'd love to do a "snowfall for rain" patch.

Totally respect your feeling about keeping the integrity of the map origin and setting intact, maybe author approved patches would be something nice to see for Vidda...

1 hour ago, EO said:

Having already been politely declined, if you ever change your mind about external config patches for Vidda, you know I'd love to do a "snowfall for rain" patch.

Totally respect your feeling about keeping the integrity of the map origin and setting intact, maybe author approved patches would be something nice to see for Vidda...

I don't care what people do on their own. Shacktac uses their own snow stuff for the map I've noticed and i have seen videos of the others doing the same. There are several mods that do that replacement.

I'd imagine they are all private, especially the shacktac one.

1 minute ago, EO said:

I'd imagine they are all private, especially the shacktac one.

I think @Uro made something like that long ago...

4 hours ago, bludski said:

I did do some experiments making believable snow back in the day but it didn't work as well as I hoped because of differences in light on the clutter made it stand out too much. Imo it did add tons to immersion though.

Personally, I found it very appealing and would gladly play on this version of Vidda quite a lot, as very few of snow maps are available for players in such quality. They are actually non-existent. I agree, the whole thing about the snow fall and snowy terrain is all about immersion (and some diversity of gameplay too).  I am not into making terrain at all and truly admire people who do such a thing, as it takes a hell of effort and time. It sad the work on snowy Vidda will be wasted but I do respect your desire to deliver terrain addons that contain no half-measures. Although, not many of players would even recognize there is something slightly off compared to the real world, and even less would complain about that, but some will surely do 😉  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NightIntruder said:

Personally, I found it very appealing and would gladly play on this version of Vidda quite a lot, as very few of snow maps are available for players in such quality. They are actually non-existent. I agree, the whole thing about the snow fall and snowy terrain is all about immersion (and some diversity of gameplay too).  I am not into making terrain at all and truly admire people who do such a thing, as it takes a hell of effort and time. It sad the work on snowy Vidda will be wasted but I do respect your desire to deliver terrain addons that contain no half-measures. Although, not many of players would even recognize there is something slightly off compared to the real world, and even less would complain about that, but some will surely do 😉  

Well the likelyhood of me ever touching vidda again is slim to none. Largely because the fun of it was taken away by a lot of lifemod #%#$%@#@# who kept stealing, monetizing, reuploading and modifying it and claiming it and parts of it as their own creation. The only map I am interested in working on any time soon is #RHSPKL. Mostly only sweethearts use it.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, bludski said:

Are you trying to teach me how the weather works where I grew up?

It is not the ice age..... 

I just explained how it works above. 🤦‍♂️

OK fair enough, your back yard. So setting a mission in the editor for a winter month, Dec, to March, will have no effect on Vidda yes?

• Like 1

Just now, jgaz-uk said:

OK fair enough, your back yard. So setting a mission in the editor for a winter month, Dec, to March, will have no effect on Vidda yes?

None except giving you just a small window of daylight.

9 minutes ago, bludski said:

Well the likelyhood of me ever touching vidda again is slim to none. Largely because the fun of it was taken away by a lot of lifemod #%#$%@#@# who kept stealing, monetizing, reuploading and modifying it and claiming it as their own creation. The only map I am interested in working on any time soon is #RHSPKL. Mostly only sweethearts use it.

Yeah, PKL is my favorite one. It is such a beautiful and well-crafted map that I've been really enjoying sightseeing it only, no gameplay, just driving or walking around 🙂 Reg lifemods, you've touched very sensitive topic so I would rather avoid talking about that as probably I would say too much. 
Also, I was thinking about Katya and its sheer size. It seems to be tremendous work to complete it. Since you got a new job, I suppose my question may be relevant, soo... Did you ever think about releasing it as alpha so the player base would help you creating villages and locations so you could then import those ones you like? I guess people can sometimes be really amazing with their creativity. It would be like having hundreds of freelancers at your disposal. something like "community goal" from Elite Dangerous, huh 😉 Don't know if it would even work, tho, just saying.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, NightIntruder said:

Yeah, PKL is my favorite one. It is such a beautiful and well-crafted map that I've been really enjoying sightseeing it only, no gameplay, just driving or walking around 🙂 Reg lifemods, you've touched very sensitive topic so I would rather avoid talking about that as probably I would say too much. 
Also, I was thinking about Katya and its sheer size. It seems to be tremendous work to complete it. Since you got a new job, I suppose my question may be relevant, soo... Did you ever think about releasing it as alpha so the player base would help you creating villages and locations so you could then import those ones you like? I guess people can sometimes be really amazing with their creativity. It would be like having hundreds of freelancers at your disposal. something like "community goal" from Elite Dangerous, huh 😉 Don't know if it would even work, tho, just saying.

Nope. Still too much work to administer and not a process I'm interested in. What happens with that is entirely up to my teammates.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, I understand that. It's just an idea. Cannot wait to see more of the work of RHS team and yours! 🙂 

• Like 2

You read it here first! It has been almost a year since the last update to #RHSPKL and with the announcement of a particular nam themed dlc, AND to celebrate the terrain hitting 100k current users on steam. There will be an update coming this month!

Some screens from next update by il_padrino.

rhspkl1.png

rhspkl2.png

rhspkl3.png

• Like 22
  • Thanks 8

Yes, thank you! Also I’m sure I’m not the only one thankful that you now work for BI! At least we all get to look forward to your work being included into vanilla terrains for whatever Arma game that may come in the future.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Really looking forward to the updated version ! Being a more SP focused player, your map for now, seems to be the only chance to make good use of the outstanding Prairie Fire dlc content for me. You are probably the only map maker that takes the really bad and outdated Arma AI pathing into consideration when planning your terrains.

As we know AI units can not traverse obstacles like low walls and fences and rock formations etc.. So your decision to use elevated terrain for your rice paddies and rock textures in many places instead of rock formations works perfectly. Combined with a proper tested road system and an object placement that takes shitty AI driving into account your map is really working  excellent for SP ! 

cheers

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Great news on the update! PKL is still my favorite jungle map in ArmA (even though it has a few too many FOBs for my taste). Any chance for some larger mangrove swamps in the new version?

Anyhow, thanks for your continued work on this gem.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tyl3r99 said:

is there a vidda non legacy version?

No and not likely as bludski is now a BI Developer. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/15/2021 at 5:45 AM, R0adki11 said:

No and not likely as bludski is now a BI Developer. 

He will work in Arma 3? I hope so.

1 hour ago, HorribleGoat said:

That would be a negative, Arma 3 is said to not receive any BI developed content.

Indeed, anything new by BI is to be either Arma Reforge or DayZ:SA updates.

If you look at the second Enfusion screenshot from the latest BI report you can clearly see Bludskis handwriting......very moist xD

• Like 1

On 8/15/2021 at 2:31 AM, Tyl3r99 said:

is there a vidda non legacy version?

Short answer: No and there never will be. Legacy version will never be updated either and if something happens to A3 that makes the map unusable, it will not be fixed.

On 9/7/2021 at 2:36 PM, Private Evans said:

If you look at the second Enfusion screenshot from the latest BI report you can clearly see Bludskis handwriting......very moist xD

No comment. I don't know anything abuot any such a thing.

RHSPKL update is coming when I have time, I don't have much of that at the moment. Vidda was going to be moved to RHS but that will not happen now as I am way too sick of the project. 100s of DMCA sent to lifemod rippers who want to monetize it simply took away all the fun of making it as I spent more time having to deal with that than actually working on it.

RHSPKL doesn't have even close to as much of that going on and 99.9% of rhspkl users are simply sweethearts 🙂 I really want to finish RHSPKL but after moving to CZ for work, I don't have much time unfortunately.

• Like 11