Sign in to follow this  
Bagel

Dynamic vietnam missions

Thanks guys ,

Captian , your method was what I had in the early release of TOD, a dustoff would go to a onmapsingleclick and disembark two medics, stay there and then when finished you would manually call it back. The preoblem with this was it was such a pain that I ended up just letting the squad die, so as to get a new respawn at base, also not very realistic as you said.

Walker, once again I like what you say,the CE2 does know when there is a medevac needed, and this is a good prompt, what I am really after is the ability to select a squad and send a dustoff to them, pick up etc, or even better select medevac form the special menu and then somehow select the squad from the map for the chopper to go and fetch etc.

I will fiddle on the weekend, I have completed the firebase issue , busy with auto reinforcement, will reintroduce ammo/fuel drops and have 1.80 out on the weekend.

Thanks again

Bagel

Hi bagel

Perhaps what is needed is a casualty report system. This means you can then select which sections have a medivac sent to them. There is almost certainly a standard casualty and action that is used in the US Army Field Manuals I would suggest this form the basis for this.

Within the same area I do know there is a standard procedure for POWs as you are looking into this I think you can use the same method. Just have a CI field intelegence and Military Police section and Copter that deals with it same way as the the MediVac.

The only difference in process is the atached prisoners get debriefed at MAGTF Central Intelegence, Enemy Prisoner of War camp

Kind Regards walker

Hi Walker ,

Good stuff, I am busy working with the code Spinor sent me on the medevac process as we speak!!

Coming right, and yes, using it for pow will be cool, in fact this process by selecting the action first and then the squad opens many doors , extractions etc.

cya

Here is version 1.75

http://mysite.mweb.co.za/residents/nagelj/files/tourofduty1_75.zip

New:

Operations (heli) have been moved into the firebase, closer to the assembly area and barracks, this just takes out the uneccessary transit between base and airfield.

Airmobile Ops has been revamped, the LZ for a platoon is still there , but now I have added LZ and extract command for crews 1 through to 3. These are the workhorse crews. With the LZ command you can now command a single chopper drop off, great for putting a fresh squad back to his platoon location.

Same with the extract command, you select which crew is to select, click on the map on a section marker and the chopper does the rest, brings the section hope, kinda like a dustoff or just a simple extraction. There is a field hospital at the assembly area. The chopper picks up the section, flys them home and disembarks them inot the assembly area.

I have added two firebases (ALPHA , BRAVO)) represented by a Ammo,Feul and ambulance truck. You move them like any other unit, under HQ group. If you want to deploy,you select AIR/BASE SUPPORT from the special menu and click on the relevant FB listed. From then the arty will be moved to the location and thus give you more coverage. Both the FB's are mortar support. I will be upgrading the FB deployment to look like a FB, right now it is just three vehicles. If you lose them they are not replaced, so look after them.

I have now added an NVA offensive section where if the H&M in a region reaches a high level i.e 80% a NVA platoon is created and they attack either one of the mobile FB's or the Main FB, depending on what region the high score is in.

Now when arty is used it eats into your resources, just to prevent indiscriminate use.

Thats it for now, this campaign is now nearing completion, I will wrap it up with a full intro,outro,briefing etc and take it from there.

As usual, all feedback is welcome.

Bagel

hi bagel, nice work yourve done, im enjoying it alot.

i have a problem tho. i cannot spawn any new soldiers once a squad has been killed. i get an error saying-

'typeof |#|(list trigbar select 0) creatunit [getpos (list trigbar select 0),group (list trigbar select 0)]': error unknown operator.

after a squad leader has been killed i take him to the barracks circle and then thats when i get the error. do the soldiers spawn automatically or am i doing something wrong...??

and also i had an error saying 'cant find helibase.sqs' i think i was trying to buy a chopper after it had been destroyed.

What version of OFP are you using, you should be on ver 1.91, then there will be no problem. I don't think your current version recognises the typeof command which was only introduced in 1.90 or 1.91 I think. Go grab it at the official site.

run again and let me know if the errors still occur, as right now on 1.91 I am running fine.

Bagel

Hi Bagel, this looks phenomenal. I haven't been this excited to DL anything for as long as I can remember. Anyways, for us new to COC, can you make a short list of the files needed and where I can find them? Also, is this with Nam Pack 2 or 1?

you rule...

last question, how do I install the mission?

you need to make a new folder in your ofp/user/confused.gif/missions folder and name it tourofduty1_75.seb_iatrang , extract the contents of the zip into there, and while you are there open the mission.sqm (with notepad, and delete the "F4Phantom" (or similar) for the top set of addons it says are required

Thanks Evis, I have taken all addons outside of Nampack 2 out, I just need to edit the mission.sqm. I used to have the F4 and a Mortar addon in earlier versions.

Thanks, Evis, I just went ahead and dowloaded the F4 anyways... decent addon.

Thanks guys!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sinister[tnuC] @ Jan. 21 2003,08:12)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">i cannot spawn any new soldiers once a squad has been killed. i get an error saying-

'typeof |#|(list trigbar select 0) creatunit [getpos (list trigbar select 0),group (list trigbar select 0)]': error unknown operator.

after a squad leader has been killed i take him to the barracks circle and then thats when i get the error. do the soldiers spawn automatically or am i doing something wrong...??<span id='postcolor'>

For reference, I get this problem with 1.90 too. Haven't tried 1.91 yet.

Fantastic mission though, thanks for taking the time to create it.

Oh, I've never seen my Pink Team either. Do my Air Crews 4 & 5 make up the Pink Team? If so, do I need to move them into appropiate helo's before I call in my Pink Team?

Cheers,

Axek.

I decided against having a Pink team as then the US would have too many choppers, good idea maybe making an option to assign Aircrew4 and 5 to a Pink Team. I will have a look.

Bagel

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Axek @ Jan. 23 2003,20:05)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sinister[tnuC] @ Jan. 21 2003,08:12)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">i cannot spawn any new soldiers once a squad has been killed. i get an error saying-

after a squad leader has been killed i take him to the barracks circle and then thats when i get the error. do the soldiers spawn automatically or am i doing something wrong...??<span id='postcolor'>

For reference, I get this problem with 1.90 too. Haven't tried 1.91 yet.

Fantastic mission though, thanks for taking the time to create it.

Oh, I've never seen my Pink Team either. Do my Air Crews 4 & 5 make up the Pink Team? If so, do I need to move them into appropiate helo's before I call in my Pink Team?

Cheers,

Axek.<span id='postcolor'>

the "typeof" command is new in version 1.91. Thats why you are getting the error. You either need to load the 1.91 beta patch, or live with the error until the next official pathc comes out. smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Eviscerator @ Jan. 23 2003,10:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">you need to make a new folder in your ofp/user/confused.gif/missions folder and name it tourofduty1_75.seb_iatrang , extract the contents of the zip into there, and while you are there open the mission.sqm (with notepad, and delete the "F4Phantom" (or similar) for the top set of addons it says are required<span id='postcolor'>

Ok I did that, but I can only play the game from the mission editor with preview :/ Is that the way you all are playing it or did I miss something?

Calhoun, because this is still a beta of sorts, we are all playing it in the editor>preview. If you like you can export it to single player missions and it will be transformed into a *.pbo file like any other OFP mission.

The mission is close to completion, but not quite, should be totally finished in a week or two.

Bagel

Thanks for the quick reply, Bagel. I was just wondering if that was part of the reason I take a major fps hit. The mission starts out fine, then really starts to bog down only 5 minutes into it. I suppose when you have that many scripts running in the backround, it's bound to slow things down.

I played a bit more, I dont get the lag if I dont use the pink team. Ill do some more testing and post my results tomorrow.

Great mission, Bagel!  Good to see a happy confluence of ideas from all involved.  

I suffered a severe fps hit the first time after I called in the supply train.  Got another fps hit the second time calling in the pink team.  Played a third game (without calling in either) that ran fine.

Also, I extracted the tourofduty...folder into the Missions folder and ran it under single missions.  It comes up as "Command Engine 2, Template" and runs ok.

Few quick questions:

1.  How long before units are replenished at the Workshop and Barracks?

2.  If a VC cadre is reduced, eg. only 1 soldier, will it still continue to act as a threat?  In other words, do you have to kill every member of a cadre?

3.  Did the issue of saving games get resolved?  Should I use the CE2 options-menu save or the OFP "Esc" save?

PS: For people testing this out, as an extra treat, try lining up some pumpin' Hendrix or Doors tracks to play in the background smile.gif

Hi bagel

I have had my first chance to test this mission today.

Have you thought of including pink team in the normal CE command structure? There is room with in the existing structure.

Kind Regards walker

Bagel,

From playing the mission a bit, the one thing that stands out is the lack of confirmation/status when performing certain commands.

One that specifically comes to mind is when deploying Firebases. When I hit the option in the menu, to deploy the FB, it would be great to get back a confirmation from the unit, stating that they've deployed....likewise when I use the Move option.

There's a few small areas like that where a confirmation of my order would be useful feedback, to ensure that the commands have been accepted. (Another one is when using the Extract LZ command.)

In regards to the Extract LZ command, I haven't been able to confirm it yet, but it would appear that if the squad the helo is picking up, already has orders, then it continues on with those (waypoints), not cancelling and loading onto the helo. I just work around it now by halting the unit first.

Also, when the mission is finished, would it be possible to display a summary of the action? How many VC are in each region, location of nme bases etc?

Still, as I said earlier, it's a fantastic mission.

Axek.