Sign in to follow this  
Bagel

Dynamic vietnam missions

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It seems that when I reach more than 100 markers , it interferes with COC, as you know my mission used plenty markers too, and I have cut them to the bone, re-use them etc. What happens is if I add any more markers

to the game, when I click on a unit and give it a waypoint it will not recieve it and the marker does not change to a WP marker. If I go and remove one or two of my newly created markers it then works ?<span id='postcolor'>

You are right about the interference. Sorry for that, I forgot that there is an upper limit of 100 markers for autocounting (setting rAutoCountMarkers = true) in the CE. To remedy this:

-Open up globalloop.sqs

-Search the line

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">["ACTIVATE", "radiomenus", ["ON", "AUTO"] select rAutoCountMarkers, [rPreGameMarkers, 100] select rAutoCountMarkers, "ON"] exec "input\radiomode.sqs"<span id='postcolor'>

-Edit the 100 to something larger, say 500. This should do the trick.

In the final release version, you should put the autocount to false though, and instead insert the exact number of pregame markers in the userinit.

BTW, as I mentioned, there will be soon a CE update that doesn´t use usermarkers anymore, so all the stuff above will be history.

Spinor

Here is new version 1.4

http://mysite.mweb.co.za/residents/nagelj/files/tourofdutyv1_4.zip

New:

US reinforcements now constitute a proper squad, not just eight riflemen, i.e. include mg, medic etc (applicable to SF as well)

When more than 25 VC/NVA are present in a region at the same time, they are all ordered to attack the US base.

You now have a gunship (ACA) with your OH recon, you also now have the opportunity to buy another ACA or replace one if lost in the special menus, under HARDWARE > RECON

I have include four sections into each platoon, instead of three.

Thanks again spinor.

Captian , send me as much as you got, and I would love to code your VC ai !!

nagelj@mweb.co.za

Bagel

is there any chance you could whip up an ia trang version? jungle malden just really doesnt feel like vietnam...

also, I still don't know what region is which. Did I miss something in the readme?

Also without a savegame feature, I can only play this for about an hour at a time, save, then play for maybe another hour. Can you add a savegame feature? Or will that screw with everything?

I did have a hard crash with this after about 20 minutes today. Not sure if it was the mission or the Nam pack, just thought I'd mention it.

Still love this thing smile.gif Can't figure out the best way to win, but I still like it.

Ebud

check in the mission editor before you play, there are four big boxes, if you find the center of the box it should say 'region4' or 'region3' etc

the best way ive found of winning is to put armour at the crossroads near the border and patrol the roads in the recon helo, although this can ruin the fun as not many vc get through, which is why i think Ia Trang might be a more ideal map as its much larger, the border area can be larger and maybe more randomized spawn points also there is a hell of a lot more forest so it will be harder to find the vc

Thanks Evis, I had it in the mission folder rather than the user\mission folder.

Here is the latest version :

http://mysite.mweb.co.za/residents/nagelj/files/tourofduty1_6.zip

New:

This is now the IaDrang valley, welcome to Nam!!

I have been bug hunting through the code and have streamlined the game, markers and coding etc. It seems to run fine , although a bit slower on the IaDrang map.

Had my first game on this vesion just an hour ago, thanks to all the input, it plays reakky well. Let me know.

I have changed the manangement of helicopters to rather management of pilots, you now get four Huey pilot and three crews (2 pilots). How you assign them is up to you. In the troop loading special menu, the troops will load to whatever the four huey pilots are in, so keep them in Hueys i would suggest.

If a huey pilot is killed he is auto replaced at a cost of 3, so look after them.

For the crews , you can now purchase any of the SEB helis from the special menus, costing about 6 to 8 each, they appear outside the new hangar at the airfield. You can also replace lost crew from the menus as well. This has worked well I think, adding better playability, flexibility and more tactical options, let me know.

I even had a pilot rescue in the game just played !

Next on the menu is intel refinement and cross border raids, so give me them ideas, thanks to EBud for input on these issues.

I have label areas in the tour.sqs file for those who want to delve into the code.

Bagel

Another thing, I don't have a clue where t start to implement a savegame facility, maybe someone would like to give it a bash or point me in the right direction.

Evis is right, the four rectangle triggers are the four regions , however it is envisaged that in the end game you will not need to know the regions , but view the map a one, the current intel by region is a luxury ! Intel will be much harder to come by in the future versions, right now only for testing and control.

Bagel

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Another thing, I don't have a clue where t start to implement a savegame facility, maybe someone would like to give it a bash or point me in the right direction.<span id='postcolor'>

Don´t worry, its already been taken care of  xmas.gif.

Unless you changed anything, one can save a CE mission via the radio menu (it´s a little hidden):

Organization.../Options.../Save game

In version 1_6 I can't get my pilot crews to mount newly creted (createvehicle) choppers. Anyone got an answer or solution ?

Thanks

Bagel

PS I just assumed it could be done, maybe missing something here.

There are issues with createvehicle and createunit, and the initialization time it takes for each...

Are you using a board command (assignasvehicle, etc), or moveindriver?

If you're having a problem with moveindriver, I don't have a solution for you...

Thanks Captian, Spinor has soilved the problem for me, it was a CE issue. I will be posting TOD V1_7 in the next dy or two with all fixed an ready to hunt them cong !

Bagel

hehe you updating today or not? Me wants to try the new version. Thanks in advance for the great work.

First of like everyone is saying: THIS MISSION ROCKS! Okay now to my question: I am not sure if this is only on my computer but I get an error when I start the mission saying the following: no entry 'config.bin/CfgMarkers.point/'. When I play the mission and go to the map menu, there are no markers that specify where my units are out in the field. I think I maybe missing some marker addon or something. Other than that problem I have encountered, everything goes off without a hitch. I had quite a battle with Alpha platoon holding a control point with a sizable VC force. I directed artillery fire and mortar fire to suspected VC locations but the artillery was too close and a few of my men died sad.gif I was wondering in the next version if it is possible to have two crew sections start off in two Huey Hogs and then have a special menu under Air Support so you can select that Gunship option in the Air Support menu then click on a location on the map, and the Hogs will automatically fly to that location and conduct search and destroy missions for an allotted amount of time which can be determined by a user in put? That would make it much faster for me to support ground units in trouble. Anyways this is a great mission. Thank you so much for sharing this with us all!

I am actually waiting for Spinor to release his new CE engine, upgraded for onmapsingleclick command, however here is a version 1.66 in the mean time .

New

Marine base at FB Falcon, including a platoon of marines and an M60 tank squad.

Improved Airmobile ops sequence for LZ

You now have 5 air crews at your disposal, you can mount them into any chopper, the hardware purchase and the subsequent mounting now works , thanks again to Spinor.

Enjoy, but expect good things when the new CE is released, by then I would have completed the INTEL section as well as the cross border ops.

Bagel

http://mysite.mweb.co.za/residents/nagelj/files/tourofduty1_66.zip

Hello Ryu1985,

Glad to hear you enjoy the mission. I have been trying to get the air support issue set in my mind,so thanks for the input. You will see in V1.66 that I have opted for pilot management as opposed to heli management. You can now purchse any heli from the special>harware menu and assign any of the five crews as you see fit. My thoughts are the more flexible the better the tactical play of the game, I don't want to prescribe too much in respect of hardware. Lets me know what you think, I am allways open to good input.

BTW, when Spinor releases the new CE I will include a dedicated pink team in the support menu, as he has revamped the support section in sumthang really good !!!!

Me again , sorry RYU , you need to download the USmarine symbol set from the chain of command site in order to get the required markers.

Okay, thanks! I am going to download the markers and then I'll try out your mission. Thanks again. Can't wait till the next version comes out.

I have tried out the new 1.66 version and it's running smoothly although I ran into one problem with the newly created PinkTeam, once I am in the PinkTeam selection menu which displays "patrol" or "CAS", when I try to send request for a mission after I click on the map where I want the mission to be executed, I get a script error and then when I hit the back button to get out of the radio menu for the Pink Team it will not work, and all the other selections for the Pink Team.  I was wondering what is the pink team exactly? Is it gunship support or some kind of aircraft support? I think you are working on this for the next release. BTW the addition of the Marines at the firebase was great. I was wondering if there was a way to purchase 5T trucks? I think you got rid of them in place of machine gun jeeps. I am loving this command stuff. I hope more people follow this example of how fun it can be.

A pink team is one OH-6 and on AH-1G/J, the OH-6 flys low to attract ground fire and then calls in the cobra to attack, although this is historically speaking, not sure what it is ingame i havent had a chance to try 1.66

Thanks for the info Evis. Is there a way to save the game? Because I could update the retry location by going to the main menu/organization/options/save game but when I used up the original save (from the OFP menu via esc button) and start using the save from the command menu I find that when I reload the mission again after turning off OFP I can only load back to the spot I used my save from the OFP menu rather than the spot where I saved using the Command menu. Is there away around this?

Evis is quite correct about the pink team, and that is exactly what will be in the game. It is not working in 1.66 , but is in 1.70, which will be release when the new CE is released (no pressure Spinor hehe !!!wink.gif

In 1.70 you will be able to purchase trucks, tanks and apc's at the new Marine base.

The artillery model will be corrected and you will need to create "fire support bases" to cover the whole map.

I am tweaking the intel section at the moment, where in exchange for resources you can get info about VC numbers and positions.Up to now the luxury of free ,correct intel has been a debug issue, in future you will pay for it and the accuracy will depend on the hearts and minds of the informants!

Glad to hear you are enjoying the game, in respect of the game saving thing, I have not got a clue on how to save the Tour of Duty variables when the game is saved, I play for an hour or two, freeze the game "Esc" and come back later. If someone could help I would be very gratefull, I am too busy with the good stuff ( cross border raids etc) to divert enegry to something I know nothing about !! Sorry.

Bagel

Hi Bagel!

This sounds like such a wonderful idea. It is a shame that in a MP setting one does not have the options of controling multiple units.

Your mission is a bucket of fun! Thanks!

Best regards,

RedLion smile.gif