I took a launcher where the reticule didn't actually correspond to the ammo it was firing.

I found the .paa file for the reticule.

I fixed the lines on the .paa file - saved as a new one.

Now i want to replace the texture on the launcher's scope with my new one.

Only I can't find the line in it's config that points to the reticule texture.

I was expecting something like scopeOptic = addon\data\myReticule.paa

How do?

Cheers,

Law

I'm beginning to reach the conclusion that the reticule texture path is embedded in the .p3d file.

Can someone confirm if this is true?

If so, is there a way for me to replace it without having access to the .p3d file?

Depends on what kind of scope.. In a 3D scope

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma_3_Scope_3D

The texture is indeed in the model.

About 2D scope's I'm not really sure... Wait.. Forget that.

https://github.com/deathlyrage/breakingpointmod/blob/master/ModSource/breakingpoint_weapons_cfg/config.cpp#L18847

Even on 2D scopes you are being shown a 3D model of the reticle. And you can't edit it's textures.

But you could make a new 3D model for that reticle. And just replace that config entry to point to your new model. A reticle model is just a Plane with texture on top. You can look into the breakingpointmod at my above link for examples.

On 17.7.2018 at 11:46 AM, lawman_actual said:

reticule

reticle*

On 17.7.2018 at 11:46 AM, lawman_actual said:

If so, is there a way for me to replace it without having access to the .p3d file?

If that is indeed the case. Probably not. Unless hiddenSelections work for scopes and that scope happened to have one (Never seen that yet)

3 minutes ago, Dedmen said:

reticle*

That would probably help my search results

4 minutes ago, Dedmen said:

You could make a new 3D model for that reticle. And just replace that config entry to point to your new model. A reticle model is just a Plane with texture on top.

Sounds simple enough, but I  haven't currently invested time in learning blender and model builder, and since I don't have access to the original .p3d I'd have to model the entire optical device from scratch, if I'm correct in assuming that the reticle and scope as a whole are contained in the same file? (It's a bit hard to tell since the mod I'm fixing can be a bit confusing with their naming).

Cheers for the help though,

That's good to know for when I eventually do start modelling myself.

Just now, lawman_actual said:

I'd have to model the entire optical device from scratch, if I'm correct in assuming that the reticle and scope as a whole are contained in the same file?

11 minutes ago, Dedmen said:

But you could make a new 3D model for that reticle. And just replace that config entry to point to your new model. A reticle model is just a Plane with texture on top. You can look into the breakingpointmod at my above link for examples.

Read that again. Especially the

11 minutes ago, Dedmen said:

A reticle model is just a Plane with texture on top

part.

So...you're saying the reticle itself would be simple to model because it's just a plane with a texture?

In which case, the reticle is a separate file?

Looking at the scope in Arma 3 samples, I can see only 1 .p3d file, so I thought they were all in one?

Or perhaps I'm still not understanding something

13 minutes ago, lawman_actual said:

Or perhaps I'm still not understanding something

31 minutes ago, Dedmen said:

31 minutes ago, Dedmen said:

You can look into the breakingpointmod at my above link for examples.

Ah, so 'model optics' defines the file used for the reticle, not the sight itself?

That should be what I need - thank you 

Edit: I was confused because the Arma 3 Samples file for a scope only had one .p3d file in it.