Sign in to follow this  
Hudson

"fighting omars" f/a-18c

Been working on this for awhile now and thought it was ready to bring to everyones attention. Its a F/A-18 based on the U.S Naval reserve squadron VFC-12the Fighting Omars. Im working on the instrument animations now and plan to add AA missle lock warning light/buzzer, inward retracting rear landing gear and folding wings in hopes that someone will actually make a carrier someday.

Well here are some pics...

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3

Pic 4

Versions I have right now are..

AGM88d HARM x 8 w/ 20 mm cannon

Aim9j x 10 w/ 20 mm cannon

AMRAAM x 8 w/ 20 mm cannon

Mk82 x 20 w/ 20 mm cannon and FFARs replacing wing fuel tanks

Paveway 2000lb x 6 w/ 20 mm and FFARs replacing wing tanks

I made all the textures from hand in photoshop using paint and logo templates from plastic model companies :-) all the textures are layered and it wouldnt be anything to slap a new camo pattern on the bottom layer. Give me some suggestions and schemes and ill see what I can do.

We keep a current thread in our O2 forum at Radishville if you want more up to date news.

About those folding wings could you make it so that only is activated from the rear of the craft so you don't do it accidentally in flight? The falcon skin I like most is the grey pattern. It's just steel grey used on american carriers. I'll show you a pic. I guess you could say its grey but the mid nose is white. The tip is gold. f-18-hornetinhungary-s.jpg

f18-fuel-s.jpg

Another thing is are you making the two seater version or the one seater version? * The F/A-18C and F/A-18E are single seat aircraft.

* The D and F models are flown by two crew members. The marines use the C and D versions.

f18comp.gif

Could you maybe, possibly make a Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) scheme? It's basically just the standard grey with the RAAF roundels and tail markings...

F-18A_1.jpg

F/A-18A

F-18A_2.jpg

F/A-18A

F-18A_3.jpg

F/A-18A

F-18B_1.jpg

F/A-18B

Hudson...will you doing the beige version as well???

Also....looks like your fonts are pretty screwed up.

Contact me at tigershark@concept-5.com and I'll be able to make some tail codes and text for you in proper US Navy font. Please state clearly in the subject that it's you (I get a lot of junk mail).

Nice work mate....did you make the F-18 from scratch or is it a freeware model?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tigershark @ Dec. 19 2002,01:07)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hudson...will you doing the beige version as well???<span id='postcolor'>

Yeah I plan on it..

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Also....looks like your fonts are pretty screwed up....<span id='postcolor'>

Yeah I made those by croping a pic then removeing everything but the font and using that as a background to create a higher res pic, deleting the background and leaving myself a improvised logo.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Contact me at tigershark@concept-5.com and I'll be able to make some tail codes and text for you in proper US Navy font. Please state clearly in the subject that it's you (I get a lot of junk mail).

<span id='postcolor'>

Will do, and I can only imagine the amout of junk you recieve.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Nice work mate....did you make the F-18 from scratch or is it a freeware model?<span id='postcolor'>

I wish, no its a download. If I could make a model like that Id find a real job.

Since its only a model you now need a config file. But you are new to this stuff. If you need a previous one, I suggest you go with vit's F16 pack as an example. It's a rare addon that you can't find on any ofp sites at all anymore. He implemented the effects of the fly by wire system perfectly. Which is the same as the hornet version you're making.

If your going to do a model of a plane please make it as close to the realthing as possible.

F/A-18 information;

F/A-18C/D  (Hornet)  &   F/A-18E/F (Super Hornet )

Power Plant

(Hornet)Two F404-GE-402 afterburning engines, each in the 18,000 pound thrust class, which results in a combat thrust-to-weight ratio greater than 1-to-1. Depending on the mission and loading, combat radius is greater than 500 nautical miles.

(Super Hornet )Twin F414-GE-400 engines, each in the 22,000 pound thrust class. On an interdiction mission, the E/F will fly up to 40 % further than the C/D.  

Accommodations

The F/A-18C and F/A-18E are single seat aircraft.

The D and F models are flown by two crew members.

The aft seat in the D and F may be configured with a stick and throttle for the training environment (or without when crewed with a Weapons System Officer).

Performance

F/A-18C maximum speed at level flight in altitudes of 36,089 ft. Mach 1.7

F/A-18E maximum speed at level flight in altitudes of 36,089 ft. Mach 1.6

Armament

F/A-18C/D can carry up to 13,700 pounds of external ordnance.

Weapon stations include: two wingtip stations for Sidewinders; two outboard wing stations for air-to-air or air-to-ground weapons; two inboard wing stations for fuel tanks, air-to-air, or air-to-ground weapons; two nacelle fuselage stations for AMRAAMs, Sparrows, or sensor pods; and one centerline station for fuel or air-to-ground weapons.

F/A-18E/F can carry up to 17,750 pounds of external ordnance; two additional wing store stations have been added.

M61 Vulcan 6-barrel rotary cannon with 520 rounds of 20mm ammunition is internally mounted in the nose

AIM-9 Sidewinder

AIM-7F Sparrow

AIM-120 AMRAAM

AGM-65E Maverick

AGM-84 Harpoon

AGM-88A HARM

MK82

CBU-87

CBU-89

GBU-12

GBU-24

JDAM

B-57 or B-61 Nuclear bomb

f18ef_load.jpg

Here's the Payload layout that is used on the F/A-18's;

6xMK82 2xAIM9 2xAIM120 20MMx500

2xAGM88 2xAIM9 2xAIM120 20MMx500       

4xCBU87 2xAIM9 2xAIM120 20MMx500      

4xCBU89 2xAIM9 2xAIM120 20MMx500     

2xGBU10 2xAIM9 2xAIM120 20MMx500     

6xGBU12 2xAIM9 2xAIM120 20MMx500   

2xGBU24 2xAIM9 2xAIM120 20MMx500   

2xJDAM  2xAIM9 2xAIM120 20MMx500  

2xAIM9 6xAIM120 20MMx500  

8xAIM120 20MMx500  

Hopefully this will be of use.

If you want the Weapon models, I've got most of them already do to almost 100% correct scale.

DragoFire

Looking very promising smile.gif I've always wanted a F-18 for OFP. How many polys does this model have? I hope this won't have a 15 mb .pbo file like the F-15 has; I consider it mostly unplayable, it kills my frame rate totally.

Yes, I must say this model is one of the best I've flown. Hudson has put a lot of time and very hard work into this. Currently, I belive it would be too unrealistic to make it go mach 1.7. This model is very high quality, and it ran fine on an nVidia TNT2 M64. You just got to love the AMRAAMs biggrin.gif

CamoFlage i dont see how the F15 is unplayable since it has lower polys then pretty much every ofp addon plane out there. So Yeah u might wanna go try again. also the pack is 15mb because we have like 8 different weapon versions on the thing so if you have a computer that cant handle 3900 Faces then you need to do something so next time dont talk out of nothing when you dont know how much hard work went into the model and everything else.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (NAA_Us_Marine @ Dec. 20 2002,07:59)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">CamoFlage i dont see how the F15 is unplayable since it has lower polys then pretty much every ofp addon plane out there. So Yeah u might wanna go try again. also the pack is 15mb because we have like 8 different weapon versions on the thing so if you have a computer that cant handle 3900 Faces then you need to do something so next time dont talk out of nothing when you dont know how much hard work went into the model and everything else.<span id='postcolor'>

Hate to say this, but if you set your proxies up correctly you can have one model, this is what I've ended up doing for my A-6E, and I've only got an extra two(one for a A-6E that is completely loaded with Heavy (5") and Light (2.75") Rocket pods, and the other has 6 Light Rocket pods and bombs).

When I had a model for each plane it totaled 7.8mb ZIP'ed (this was with only five payload models), now I've got back down to under 5mb ZIP'ed ( this is with three models and about 10 payload setups).

This is something alot of people forget to do.

DragoFire

I want to just make clear that Jus is doing F-18c Hornet for our FDF addon. Model is looking just great, but we need to make it suitable for OFP, it has now way too much polys becouse it was originally made for own fun.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">CamoFlage i dont see how the F15 is unplayable since it has lower polys then pretty much every ofp addon plane out there. So Yeah u might wanna go try again. also the pack is 15mb because we have like 8 different weapon versions on the thing so if you have a computer that cant handle 3900 Faces then you need to do something so next time dont talk out of nothing when you dont know how much hard work went into the model and everything else.

<span id='postcolor'>

I didn't mean to disrespect deadsoldier & you and your work, and I understand very well how much work you have put into the model. For some reason the F-15 makes my OFP skip a lot. And no, I am not running OFP on a C-64, otherwise it works like a charm on my AMD 1300mhz Thunderbird / 512 MB RAM / GeForce2 MX 200.

that is very strange, my pc is

AMD 1200 MHz

32MB TNT2 Ultra

512 MB RAM.

and it never skips like you. It is very smooth . Other wise i would have fixed it. cause think of it. how can i work on something that would lag my pc and still think its ok to be released? lol. Just to let you know.

Tornado : 2800 faces

F-15E : 4000 faces

F-14 :5400 faces

Mig-29 :10,000 faces.

icheers

Now this is getting very strange, because the F-14 released by that French team works very well on my machine. Hmm, does it matter if I put the F-15 addon to Res or CWC addons folder?

No. What matters is how many objects are on your map. If you have too many ai on there your pc will begin to lag more and more.

Looks awesome!!

BTW I have a mission called topgun that has the F14's and F15's along with Broncos and a ton of other aircraft and even when we play with a lot of ppl, it's a smooth as a baby's behind. The F15 has NO problems with poly count from everything I can see.

I can already see that I will NEVER get into addons making. Man oh man, ppl make some heavy demands for the realism with all of those loadouts, etc. It makes me respect those who do the realistic addons all the more considering how many different things you have to do. Modeling, texturing, scripting, etc.

Great job! Can't wait for it to be final. =)

I too have flown it, it works like a dream.  Although I have a very early beta where you couldn't even see out of the cockpit, with the nice solid HUD.  Just leave him alone about the loadouts, I've already dumped all of this crap on him, he knows what it can carry, but with all of the loads of ordinance, it would be a very large download.  Hudson's loadouts aren't exactly realistic, but they are balanced for the game.

Check out the *beta* Soviet Assault Sled! [edit] never mind, that post has been deleted [/edit]

I want to just say that Jus is making a hornet too, and it's looking really great:

tex24.jpg

tex22.jpg