IGS Karma

Layers generation problem need help

So I am making my own map and every time I try to generate layers, I keep getting this error. 

TerrainBuilder Error

Layers generation - Bad texel mapping for surface mask image (379.453x379.453).

I have generated the surface mask 3 times and imported it and tried again but still get the same error. Im new to making maps and I have no clue what this means. Could anyone please help thanks.

2 hours ago, IGS_Apex said:

This may sound stupid but how do I make sure that it is the same resolution images. All it says is 1.000000.

Right click the sat image in rasters tab and choose properties. Then make sure its the same size as your sat size in map samplers.

k2S5ZND.png

In the above picture, the sat is 4096 in size. So in the properties of the raster it should be 4096.

ALSO make sure your image outside of terrain builder is the same size, otherwise TB will make it bigger / smaller and it won't look good. This can be a huge issue if your mask is the wrong size, as TB will add more colours and mess up your surfaces!

*edit*

Rasters tab

vAWGgzs.png

5 hours ago, RoF said:

Right click the sat image in rasters tab and choose properties. Then make sure its the same size as your sat size in map samplers.

k2S5ZND.png

In the above picture, the sat is 4096 in size. So in the properties of the raster it should be 4096.

ALSO make sure your image outside of terrain builder is the same size, otherwise TB will make it bigger / smaller and it won't look good. This can be a huge issue if your mask is the wrong size, as TB will add more colours and mess up your surfaces!

*edit*

Rasters tab

vAWGgzs.png

All the pictures are 16160x16160 and I have the Satellite/Surface (mask) source images size set to 16160, but I still get the same error.

2 hours ago, IGS_Apex said:

All the pictures are 16160x16160 and I have the Satellite/Surface (mask) source images size set to 16160, but I still get the same error.

That's a really odd size tbh, post a picture of your map samplers (same as my first picture)

16 minutes ago, RoF said:

That's a really odd size tbh, post a picture of your map samplers (same as my first picture)

Here is my samplers, hope this helps

Photo

6 hours ago, IGS_Apex said:

Here is my samplers, hope this helps

Photo

You following that stupid JAF guide on youtube? He does crap like using a high cell size...

You would have been better going with a Grid Size of 4096 and a cell size of 4. Arma doesn't like it when people use weird sizes.

Also is everything at the correct coods? It MUST be 200000 Easting, 0 Northing

19 hours ago, RoF said:

You following that stupid JAF guide on youtube? He does crap like using a high cell size...

You would have been better going with a Grid Size of 4096 and a cell size of 4. Arma doesn't like it when people use weird sizes.

Also is everything at the correct coods? It MUST be 200000 Easting, 0 Northing

Yea everything is at 200000 and 0. So should I redo everything in 4096 and try this all again?

Yeah its worth a try. Be better for you in the long run, as smaller cell size is amazing

On 7/17/2018 at 12:51 AM, RoF said:

Yeah its worth a try. Be better for you in the long run, as smaller cell size is amazing

Ok that worked, thank you.

Now my terrain is really pointy and not smooth like the SAT map shows. How would I correct this?

Did you press rebuild terrain? You have to do that when changing cell size

Post a picture of your map samplers (cell size / sat size etc)

On 7/20/2018 at 11:37 AM, RoF said:

Did you press rebuild terrain? You have to do that when changing cell size

Post a picture of your map samplers (cell size / sat size etc)

Sorry about not responding quicker but here is 2 pictures. 1st is of the map being all pointy and 2nd is my map samplers (cell size / sat size etc).

Pointy Map: https://imgur.com/a/DvNDqA6

Map Samplers: https://imgur.com/a/3d6riuq

So you  trying to do a 4km by 4km map?

Texture Layer in samplers should be a min of 4 x cell size. But most people try and keep it as close to 40.

Have you played around with the cell size before? If so it's important that you delete everything in data\layers folder. Do "rebuild terrain" and export layers using 5 materials (if you have normal map) or 6 materials.

Ok, I would like to make the map bigger than 4km by 4km. I would like to make it atleast 10km or 14km by 10km or 14km.

It has to be squared, so 10km x 10km or 14km x 14km.

If you check out the pmc tutorial, it explains how to use L3DT to make a heightmap and get a map up and running https://pmc.editing.wiki/doku.php?id=arma3:terrain:ultimate-terrain-tutorial

Also if you go the Arma Discord > Terrain Makers you get help a lot quicker and from more people.