Sign in to follow this  
USMC Sniper

Ideas for nam missions

Like the topic says, suggest some missions for Nam Pack2 and La Trang Valley. I can't think of any good missions I can do, the only thing that comes to my head is the cliched "SAR for downed aircraft or helo" missions. confused.gif

Locate the Cut Off Recon Team?

Meet and Greet (Move to Contact/Search and Destroy)

Defend a trail

Get a cobra, no waypoints, just a map and compass and scout for patrols. Find a few unexpected convoys. Run into a vc camps by accident but if you're not back in time its game over. Knocking off certain vehicles sets off hidden objectives. Second idea is a marine landing onto plei bi yot. You start off on the deck of the lsd with a huey on top and a boat inside its bay down bottom. Choose your method and storm the beach with your marines. Continue on till you reach xray whatevers close. I don't remember the xrays offhand. Third idea is you're a scout in a cobra for the air cav. You have to search the island for the camp holding an air cav hostage taken from a failed ambush. So you have to find the camp. Then you and your gunner assist frmo the air while you call in the position and the marines come to rescue.

I was thinking what would be cool would be to fortify the mountains to the west with NVA camps, supplies etc.., the ch pong massif or whatever on La dang. Then have a series of incursions by US army and SF possible even some marines landing from the sea into the area and searching the mountains for the NVA and their supplies. A small temporary fire base could be setup at the top of one of those mountains in the pre-cleared areas and patrols launched from there.

I've read this mission in a Nam book.

A LRRP team in inserted into an area. Intel says there's a possible base camp is somewhere in the AO (area of operation). They are to find out what units are in the area, and possibly where the camp is.

They find a trail and set up an ambush. They stay there all night. In the morning, just before dawn, a small patrol is ambushed and kill an officer with documents. They gather up the documents and head back to PZ (pick up zone) and they will extracted since they've got intel on where and who the enemy units are.

Wrong. Higher ups want to "develope the situation" by keeping the LRRP team in the feild and for them to guide 2 platoons of Air Cav (they are airlifed into the PZ) to the ambush site and then continue patrol in the direction the ambushed enemy patrol was headed. But when you get to the ambush site, all is left are blood trails headed in the jungle....

Will you be walking into a deadly enemy ambush, or possibly into a enemy base camp...

And with you as the lead LRRP point squad, your "ass pucker" factor is at an all time high.

I think it would be good to play as the LRRP squad, and the opening cutscene would bring you up to the morning ambush, this way you have Claymores set up already. And maybe have the some extra enemy squad come to see what happened and you got to beat feet to the PZ.

Just one of my many many ideas i have for nam missions from my readings.

-=Die Alive=-

A classic downed-pilot-trying-to-get-back-to-friendly-lines mission would be cool in a vietnam setting.

Anyone remember that old Amiga game called "Lost Patrol" where you played as a squad from a downed huey shot down behind enemy lines, trying to make your way back home. It was one of the first games that I owned that had real video clips integrated into the game... It had a really cool atmosphere.

Anyway, a OFP version of the Lost Patrol would be great.

xmas.gif

I have a REAL good one but it's not totally Vietnam but from that ERA and locale.

It's called the "Mayaguez incident" if you search on google you'll find info about it since it's a real incident.

May 12, 1975 forces for the Khmer Rouge attacked, boarded and seized a Merchant Cargo Ship(US) off the shores of Cambodia. This was right after the US had been essentially kicked out of South East Asia altogether. The Crew was taken hostage and the Ship was towed to an island 35 miles off the mainland of Cambodia, the island is called "Koh Tang". The US spyed that the ship was anchored just offshore of this Island and suspected that the crew was being held on this island. So they sent a naval task force to go kick some ass but things went wrong. They originally thought the Island had only 40 - 50 enemy on it - the island was mostly jungle with 2 exposed beaches. However, the truth was that the enemy had more like 250 well armed and dug in soldiers who met head on our force of 159 marines who landed in 8 CH-53 choppers. Almost all of the choppers were shot down immediately after they dumped their marine crew. The marines were wounded and in shambles and held their positions for like 5 hours before being evacuated from the island, so much for the rescue mission. When the marines evaced they also left behind a 3 man machine gun crew who were left to fend for themselves, it was found out later that they were captured days later and executed.

IRONY: just after the disastorous first wave of marines were inserted on the island a fishing vessel made it's way to one of the destroyers in the task force - it was the entire crew of the "Mayaguez" unharmed, even though the crew was safe the 2nd wave went ahead and assaulted the island.

18 marines died.

70 wounded.

a total disaster. But a fun mission.

I find that EVERON is perfect for this mission as it has a set of Islands to the far EAST - the larger one conveniently resembles koh tang if you were to put some more jungle plants on it.

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/archives/2000/05/15/0000036100

I've been doing some research on SOG teams made up of Indigenous and american SF personnel that went "over the fence" into Laos (Praire Fire) and cambodia (Salem house). Basically they would go in to recon and to disrupt NVA on the Ho Chi Minh trail. Most of the time they were being hunted by NVA counter recon hunter teams who sometimes had dogs. The teams once located would be litterally on the run for days untill they could be extracted. The extractions were very deadly and many choppers were lost in the prossess. These missions were very dangerous but the constant threat of american attack tied up 100 000 NVA to gaurd the trail and base camps. Lots of guys who went into laos and cambodia were never heard from again.

If anyone is interested I suggest reading the stories and the different details about SOG on this site:

http://www.specialoperations.com/MACVSOG/Main_Page.htm