gokitty1199

ArmaServices stealing other peoples functions

Is this right or wrong of them?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Is this right or wrong of them?

• Right
    • Wrong

just came to my attention that ArmaServices is using some peoples functions in their scripts that they are selling, just direct copy/paste, not even a rewrite themselves.

kk_copied.png

if this was free(which is should be to begin with) then its no big deal but them making a profit off of other peoples work is not ok in my eyes, mostly considering their hypocrisy here as well as stating they did not use him in it

ecda39ab862f6cab33271a99a5388533.png

i havent looked through the rest of it to see if anything else is being used but 10 euros for this? eh, probably a wasted topic but this just seemed wrong to charge money while using a copy/paste of others work

• Like 6

First off... Welcome to ArmA. ASN are utter dogsh*t imho. They rip, steal and re-sell. People fall for it and think that they earned it or maybe they just don't care. Basic script at ridiculous prices. Also, some stuff is outdated.

No need for number plates - There are script commands:

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/setPlateNumber

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/getPlateNumber

Don't buy notification system - Free one:

What even is this? €9.99 worth of nothing. It is super easy to create this. You can find this on the forums quite easily.

https://armaservices.net/product/custom-watermark/

Simple theft protection – everybody will see this banner when your client addon is used.

Open-sourced.

LOL :rofl::rofl:

etc - The list goes on...

PS: Best poll ever.

• Like 1

since any respectful SQF developer will never post something like this.

I would. I already helped other communities by deobfuscating things that other people stole from them and then obfuscated.

But I also have nothing against lifer's, that don't want to make anything on their own, being ripped off.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Demellion said:

Telling that we steal from KK, by using some of his public functions is the same to tell that everyone is stealing from CBA.

What a pathetic try of shirking one's responsability.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, ProfTournesol said:

What a pathetic try of shirking one's responsability.

Nice argument to hit my responsibility 

Never even knew or heard of ArmaServices till today. I actually think it is a good initiative as long as they use own/original content/product. I do not mind people offering services to non-scripters, server admins who havent got a clue. I guess there is a demand for their products. But If you ask money for the product you offer on your eCommerce platform then make sure it original work. Including other peoples work, even a small function, even if it was released in public, re-package it and charge money for it without the consent of the original author is just not done.  Period!

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, whiztler said:

Never even knew or heard of ArmaServices till today. I actually think it is a good initiative as long as they use own/original content/product. I do not mind people offering services to non-scripters, server admins who havent got a clue. I guess there is a demand for their products. But If you ask money for the product you offer on your eCommerce platform then make sure it original work. Including other peoples work, even a small function, even if it was released in public, re-package it and charge money for it without the consent of the original author is just not done.  Period!

By that statement it results in that no one should ever charge money, since we all use BIS product, but that's a different story. Post author is just getting upset for prices, not the content in the first place - its just a nice addition they've found some KK utility function inside one of the product. I can't remember such negative feed on some other commercial projects like Maverick Applications - because the prices seems to be fine for author. Playing on prejudice "lifers = stealers" is real. Even the product stated here, for example (notification system, watermarks) has nothing around life framework. It does seem like someone just expected to have everything for free, like typical discord visitors with "I wanna script - gimme gimme". That's what I don't get. 

3 minutes ago, Demellion said:

By that statement it results in that no one should ever charge money, since we all use BIS product

That's not how copyright works.

If you make a painting, you're the copyright owner of it, not the manufacturer of the brush that was used to create the painting.

Unless your company is seated in a third world country I guess.

The fact that you use and monetize content of others, without giving credit to them, in a way not visible without debinarizing stuff doesn't really put you in a good light.

Especially since you goof around words and accuse others of "getting upset", when in reality you got caught red handed.

On a sidenote, anyone who's buying stuff from webpages where there's no legitimate phone number or address to be found has it coming.

Cheers

• Like 7

21 minutes ago, Grumpy Old Man said:

If you make a painting, you're the copyright owner of it, not the manufacturer of the brush that was used to create the painting.

The fact that you use and monetize content of others, without giving credit to them, in a way not visible without debinarizing stuff doesn't really put you in a good light.

Especially since you goof around words and accuse others of "getting upset", when in reality you got caught red handed.

On a sidenote, anyone who's buying stuff from webpages where there's no legitimate phone number or address to be found has it coming.

Cheers

I think KK never mentioned commercial requirements, neither mentioning his work usage - if I'm wrong I will remove any product parts using his work or mention it on products pages. I do respect his work, since I was actually inspired on some of his articles. Same like everybody does, mostly. But the point is missing still - author is focused on the prices and service way of distribution, not the content in general, as I stated above - that's just not "red handed", that's just "comes in handy" for the author.

About adress - it is actually stated in the bottom of the terms page. Yeah the phone is missing - that should be fixed.

23 minutes ago, Grumpy Old Man said:

Cheers

And to be honest, if we want to hide someone's work, why would we leave that function as it is, even the name, depending on that I personally was expecting products leak sometime, what actually happened here? It's obvious that Arma has no absolute protection of a content you do. As being stated that will be removed if has to be so.

1 hour ago, Grumpy Old Man said:

Cheers

As of today, the product has been suspended until this issue has been cleared up as a show of good faith.
The fact that I used someone else's function and not recreated hands down is just lazy and was a wrong move on my part and for that, I apologise.
As a show of transparency, I would also be more then happy to show you any other of our products source if you wish to check them "Stolen" work.

2 hours ago, whiztler said:

Never even knew or heard of ArmaServices till today. I actually think it is a good initiative as long as they use own/original content/product. I do not mind people offering services to non-scripters, server admins who havent got a clue. I guess there is a demand

for their products. But If you ask money for the product you offer on your eCommerce platform then make sure it original work. Including other peoples work, even a small function, even if it was released in public, re-package it and charge money for it without the consent of the original author is just not done.  Period!

I would also like to offer you the same as I did above if you're that interested.

Again would just like to state my goal here was not to sell other people functions.

It was to create an open marketplace developers to create scripts and distribute them an ordinance and allowing for server administers to find developers or scripts without risk using a middleman.

On a sidenote, I am the owner of the aforementioned marketplace.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Demellion said:

And to be honest, if we want to hide someone's work, why would we leave that function as it is, even the name, depending on that I personally was expecting products leak sometime, what actually happened here? It's obvious that Arma has no absolute protection of a content you do. As being stated that will be removed if has to be so.

Just because someone does not state whether his content may be used commercially or not, does not give anyone the permission to do so. Only if KK said, "I am ok with people using my work to earn money with it", you are allowed to use it.

Same goes for ebos btw ... You are selling all your products as .EBO. I don't think BI likes that you use their format to make money with it, as only the ebos protect your scripts from just beeing published online ... and thus you can earn money with them. Well ebos did not work out too well in the end, as they are as secure as pbo now but still you are using them without permission to do so from BI afaik.

If you create something and want to ask money for it, thats fine. If people are willing to pay for it thats also fine. But the work should be original and not use any other persons code / IP in general. Also you are not allowed to use any of BI's tools for commercial use. You provide models, textures in bi formats in your "products" as well as the mentioned ebos. Looks to me like you are just in to earn some quick bucks, no matter they ways used.

• Like 6

17 people feel otherwise, and 2(one of them being you) is trying to justify selling content with other peoples work in it for a platform that you do not own, and in reality you really do not own the work you did either, someone correct me if im wrong but doesn't BOH have the rights to our content for arma 3? if you cant figure out the problem here then well, thats on you there.

19 minutes ago, gokitty1199 said:

17 people feel otherwise, and 2(one of them being you) is trying to justify selling content with other peoples work in it for a platform that you do not own, and in reality you really do not own the work you did either, someone correct me if im wrong but doesn't BOH have the rights to our content for arma 3? if you cant figure out the problem here then well, thats on you there.

You can sell scripts, but only those. Aka .sqf, .cpp etc. BI can not copyright them. But any file that was created by using a BI tool, such as models from the object builder, or images from Texview are not allowed to be sold.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, jonasotz said:

You can sell scripts, but only those. Aka .sqf, .cpp etc. BI can not copyright them. But any file that was created by using a BI tool, such as models from the object builder, or images from Texview are not allowed to be sold.

ah thank you

As of today, the product has been suspended until this issue has been cleared up as a show of good faith.

Thread locked. 

Posting addon/mod other content without permission:

For many years this community has been known as the premium addon/mod creating community. People work tirelessly and in great detail to create fantastic addons/mods/missions/campaigns to release for free so that everyone benefits, including Bohemia Interactive. You must get permission to alter someone else's work, to mirror their work or to use it in any way other than for personal use. Without permission please do not edit, mirror, add to your mod pack or edit and share around your private squad.

Unfortunately we cannot control what people do outside of these forums. However, on these forums you must follow this rule, if a person/team post a thread to share an addon/mod using content from someone else without permission, and we receive a complaint, the mod thread will be closed until the issue is resolved. Participation in this behavior comes with the risk of being permanently banned from these forums. Get permission by communicating with the original content creator(s).

• Like 13