Undeceived

saveGame alternative needed (I need multiple save slots!)

Hi guys!

Is there a way to (scriptwise) save the game in a way that multiple save-game slots are created, just like when the player saves manually via the ESC menu (there are 8 slots or so)?

In many of my missions I offer the player unlimited saves via the radio menu 0-0-0, but here I use the saveGame command, which has only "one slot", which again means that the newest save-game overwrites the previous one. If the player then (we all know these situations :icon_biggrin:) gets in a bad situation (e.g. suddenly is overwelmed by 1000000 soldiers and 400 tanks just one second after using this save-game) AND if he didn't use the alternative "User Save" from the menu, which creates the save-game at another location, then... well, he's screwed and he will have to restart the whole mission, which is kinda frustrating.

This is why I'm looking for another way to use the radio menu save-game. The saveGame command is ok, but absolutely fails in the situations mentioned above.

So: Is there a way to scriptwise make a User Save? Or is there a way to create multiple slots for the saveGame command (two would already be ok).

Looking forward to your ideas, thanks.

• Like 1

Could you use setVariable to put a string with your data to save, into profileNamespace, then use saveProfileNamespace to save it to user profile (SP) or to server user profile (MP)

so, when you load your mission simply call this string with "profileNamespace getVariable YOUR_STRING_NAME"

btw with this method you have to create a script who collect all the data you need (e.g. unit/vehciles status and positions, objective status, destroyed building, and so...) and put it in the string to save, for loading you have to write a script who read this string and set all these data to the mission

7 hours ago, Undeceived said:

(e.g. suddenly is overwelmed by 1000000 soldiers and 400 tanks just one second after using this save-game) 

That must be some crazy mission.....

Of course you can simply auto save it for the player before they run into the horde of enemy ... although autosave is something of a warning bell to alert players.

1 hour ago, tRiKy_ch said:

btw with this method you have to create a script who collect all the data you need (e.g. unit/vehciles status and positions, objective status, destroyed building, and so...) and put it in the string to save, for loading you have to write a script who read this string and set all these data to the mission

Ok, I'm starting right away to write these scripts then... :icon_biggrin: Hm, that sounds like an impossible task. :icon_confused:

1 hour ago, AZCoder said:

That must be some crazy mission.....

Of course you can simply auto save it for the player before they run into the horde of enemy ... although autosave is something of a warning bell to alert players.

Yeah, but this is not always predictable.

And you're right - this was the way in OFP that you knew that something was gonna happen soon. :icon_biggrin:

Anyway, thanks for your replies.

2 minutes ago, Undeceived said:

:icon_biggrin: Hm, that sounds like an impossible task. :icon_confused:

it depends by the mission and how many, very important, things you have to save :f:

and last but not least this would be 100% MP compatible

• Thanks 1