lawman_actual

MsMpEng.exe - High Disk Use with Launcher Open?

In the past I've noticed issues with performance that coincide with high memory use by the MsMpEng.exe service, which is the background 'real-time scanning' by Windows Defender.

The problem seemed to go away, but now has returned over the last week.

Thus far I have followed the advice from Answers Microsoft, changing Defender's Schedule and adding MsMpEng.exe to Defender's exceptions.

However, the issue has persisted.

I began booting things up step-by-step to see where the issue kicks in.

When completely idle (no apps launched), the anti-malware service would run, but usually at a low level and if it did spike it wouldn't be as extreme as when playing Arma and would subside shortly.

With Steam launched, the disk use rises (around 60-80% typical), with the service appearing to be the primary guzzler of disk use. However, shortly after launch things return to a 'stable' state.

The same cannot be said once the launcher is run. 

Disk use spikes to 80-100%, with MsMPEng.exe being the primary consumer at between 60MB/s and 80MB/s.

It continues to fluctuate for as long as I have the launcher open, even if I do nothing with it, and will subside once it is closed after a little while.

I have tried adding the arma3launcher.exe service to Defender's exceptions and have restarted since...but Defender doesn't seem to be paying any attention.

Would appreciate some advice on next steps from somebody a bit more familiar with such things.

Cheers,

Law

Edited by lawman_actual
Added link

I'd suggest you try a new antivirus software. I've got my own share of experience with this process. After the latest Windows update it spiked the CPU usage and seriously slowed down my computer, changing to AVG has completely resolved it.
Hope it helps.

I may have to at this rate.

Since I'm pretty cautious online and fairly cyber-security aware, I would have preferred not to have to install another package (I like a clean, simple system).

But after a week or so with little extra information offered, I'm just getting frustrated :/

Add the whole Arma folder to your exceptions.

23 minutes ago, lawman_actual said:

Since I'm pretty cautious online and fairly cyber-security aware, I would have preferred not to have to install another package

Same here. But why are you even running windows defender then? I don't run anything.

5 minutes ago, Dedmen said:

Same here. But why are you even running windows defender then? I don't run anything.

It's everyone else I don't trust to be cautious online, and in a world where friends are constantly linking to things and sending you files, I prefer to have some assurances.

Even if I go out of my way not to follow those links most of the time >_<

I did notice a performance impact caused by the launcher (might be related to what you observed as I'm also using Windows Defender) - this is why I configured it to close itself whenever Arma 3 boots up.

Have look at the launcher options, and set the "action after game start" to "close launcher after clicking play".

40 minutes ago, haleks said:

I did notice a performance impact caused by the launcher (might be related to what you observed as I'm also using Windows Defender) - this is why I configured it to close itself whenever Arma 3 boots up.

Have look at the launcher options, and set the "action after game start" to "close launcher after clicking play".

I did not know you could automate this, but I have been in the habit of closing the launcher manually after launch just in case.

4 hours ago, Dedmen said:

It would appear this was along the right lines, but I had to go a step further.

This morning I added arma 3 (both 64 bit and 32 bit), battleye, the launcher to defender's exceptions, but also the steam.exe

So far I have managed to run some tests vanilla without issue, and am currently testing a heavily modded session which, thus far, is also running smoothly.

Fingers crossed this remains a long-term fix.

In the future I intend to experiment with removing the exceptions to see if a solution has worked itself or been introduced.

Cheers for the help guys,
Law

• Like 2

I also have this issue, as well as SEVERAL individuals I was playing with last night. Today, I asked around on a KOTH server and found a few more guys struggling with it. Looks like someone's dumped a pile of garbage on us within the past few days. I'll be trying what's above.

Also, lawman, what mods do you have installed? I don't really want to keep a mod around if it's the cause of this.

Notably, Windows Update has not installed anything on my system since June 28th, so we can rule that out. Has ARMA updated in the past few days?

Hey Flight.

I had experienced such performance issues running with a wide variety of mod packs, from none (vanilla) to simple RHS/CUP combinations, to a full and expansive set.

Some of the more significant mods I've used:

• RHS Escalation (USAF/AFRF/GREF/SAF)
  • CUP (Terrains Core and Maps)
  • JSRS Sound mods (Including compats for above mods)
  • Lythium map (requires JBAD)
  • VME PLA faction
  • Project Opfor
  • Enhanced Movement
  • Advanced Combat Environment

Cheers,

Law

Unfortunately, nothing there seems to be anything I've installed recently. Guess it's just an ARMA platform update that's done it in. Glad you found that solution above!