Sign in to follow this  
Bobinson B

Do players need to download rank textures?

There is a mod that I would like to use on my server, with permission from the owner of course. The mod simply allows for a small rank patch texture to be added to the arm of a player. There are not any models associated with the mod. If I have the mod installed on my server, will players have to go to the workshop and download the mod, or will the textures just work for the players?

They will need to download the mod.

11 hours ago, Harzach said:

They will need to download the mod.

Alright, thank you for the answer. If I created scripted my own system of adding the texture on the shoulder of a player and had the textures on the server, would players still have to download the mod?

They need to have the textures on their local machine. I'm sure there's a way to stream them to each client from the server, but that would be ... inefficient.

Basically, if a "hard" asset is involved, it should be in a mod on the client.

If you were using your own textures, you could just put them in the mission file. It would increase the filesize, but then no one would need to download a mod.

That said, doing so with other peoples' textures, particularly if they are taken from a mod, and without consent, is a non-starter.