goose4291

Mk 45 Hammer as NGS needs the artillery computer

I think there should be a direct fire variant of this weapon. For self defense purpose and to provide fire support within line of sight against moving targets. Especially since there is no small remote autocannon turret or some other system that has the ability to defend the destroyer for example against armed speedboats or other small moving targets.

Also when it comes to shore fire support you have no choice than nuke a tank with the VLS... which is kind of not in line with what the Laws of War DLC teaches us regarding collateral damage...

I would love to see a relatively fast firing mounted gun with HE and AP rounds capable of performing direct attacks on targets within line of sight.

If there can be only one I kind of like the previous version better since artillery support can be really provided from everywhere using the available self propelled guns.

You could even make it invisible and place it next to the destroyers gun and since it is not a direct firing weapon nobody should notice it... xD

Direct LOS fire support is useless. This gun is too big to be an optimal choice against speedboats, and there's no naval combat on larger scale. IRL, you don't pick off tanks with a ship's gun (especially since they tend to fire HE ammo and aren't very accurate, since a floating ship is not a stable platform). Naval fire support is not about avoiding collateral damage, unless we're talking VLS, since Tomahawks are incredibly precise. You can use static MGs on the flight deck to fend off boarders (since the destroyer only has ladders there, anyway). This is not the kind of ship that's supposed to get anywhere close to land, and thus the previous version of the gun was effectively worthless, because there was no situation where it could be used.

SPG in place of the gun is as stupid as putting a SAM trailer on the heli deck. There are far more possible missions where you could see it firing than those where you'd actually use it in direct mode. In particular, the current setup allows you to use the gun with AI to set up bombardment, which is another thing you can't do with a direct fire gun.

• Like 1

Hey guys,

I noticed that the VLS doesn't seem to work well with the artillery module.  I placed the module synced it with the VLS, placed a JTAC and appropriate module, and synced them together.  However, upon testing, the VLS option is greyed out and I am unable to use the new cruise missiles. Any help would be very much appreciated! Thank you!

VLS doesn't work with the arty module. It only fires at datalinked targets. It wouldn't work properly as a cruise missile otherwise. You need to use a script command (in GD thread there's one proposition). For arty support, use the gun.

• Thanks 1

I'm not sure how to datalink targets for the VLS? Can I use the remote designator possibly to identify targets for the VLS?

33 minutes ago, Bvandiver said:

I'm not sure how to datalink targets for the VLS? Can I use the remote designator possibly to identify targets for the VLS?

Yes you can. If a vehicle has a Jets DLC sensor configured, any sensor works, and its set to send data link info the VLS can target it. With the remote designator use the laser to mark the target and that will be sent via data link which you can then target and attack. AR -2 darters work to and you can even attack soldiers with the AR-2 as a spotter.  

• Like 2

Unfortunately the sensor view is limited to 16km range, meaning that there's no way to see lasers outside of this range. You can still lock them by spamming R until you cycle to it, but it means you need to know that there's a laser out there to be locked, and if there are multiple you can't easily pick between the two. It would be nice if there were a better way to discriminate against targets at range. Cruise missiles can fly for hundreds if not thousands of kilometers so it's too bad that it becomes difficult to lock targets outside of 16km.

As a side note, it would be equally nice if the missiles stopped leaving a giant smoke trail as they went... cruise missiles do create an initial plume of smoke as their rocket booster pushes them up to operating speed, but after that it falls away and the missile continues on a jet engine, which shouldn't leave smoke. It just looks kind of bad, you can shoot the missile all the way across the diagonal of Altis and it's still leaving a giant smoke trail when it arrives. It should look like this.

On 8/19/2018 at 8:08 PM, the_demongod said:

Unfortunately the sensor view is limited to 16km range, meaning that there's no way to see lasers outside of this range. You can still lock them by spamming R until you cycle to it, but it means you need to know that there's a laser out there to be locked, and if there are multiple you can't easily pick between the two. It would be nice if there were a better way to discriminate against targets at range. Cruise missiles can fly for hundreds if not thousands of kilometers so it's too bad that it becomes difficult to lock targets outside of 16km.

You can toggle 16,8,4 and 32km range via Ctrl+[ or Ctrl+] depending on on what side you have the sensor display opened.

On 8/19/2018 at 8:08 PM, the_demongod said:

As a side note, it would be equally nice if the missiles stopped leaving a giant smoke trail as they went... cruise missiles do create an initial plume of smoke as their rocket booster pushes them up to operating speed, but after that it falls away and the missile continues on a jet engine, which shouldn't leave smoke. It just looks kind of bad, you can shoot the missile all the way across the diagonal of Altis and it's still leaving a giant smoke trail when it arrives. It should look like this.

This has been more of a deliberate deviation from realism to make the cruise missile more visible (players can't shoot it down and don't have many options how to react to it anyway).

• Like 1