20 hours ago, Grumpy Old Man said:

BI don't seem to be reluctant to add user made configs to the core game, seeing @oukejs suggestion about PIDs, wonder why nothing similar happens for AI brains.

The brain components have been used for parts of AI behavior that could've been isolated. However, their modding potential may not be as big (compared to other things) and the settings have been quite polished in vanilla. They control variables of reaction with countermeasures (inc. smoke when suppressed), suppression and the so called aimingError (how much AI aim gets distracted by various events). They do not affect the actual decision making much which is what you'd probably want to play with the most.

21 hours ago, .kju said:

Still just like with "PID" the lack of docu altogether or just some very bare developer comments without any context or source code parts (plus lack of diagnostics again) wont get the community anywhere.

We simply can't do everything. We always try to leave things open for customization (there are still many, many hardcoded elements from the past). Even if we face the risk that we won't be able to provide any further support. This mainly applies to properties simply exposed in config which do not require any additional maintenance. Arma in its openness and scale wouldn't be possible otherwise.

For the PIDs and AI brains the diagnostics are available in the https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma_3_Diagnostics_Exe

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

@oukej I apologize for the harsh statement about strategic modding support and importance.

it was not directed at you or the A3 team, yet as a personal opinion on my personal, now outside, perception and long time history with the series.

maybe you find the context given in discord useful or helpful.

to repeat also here my positive take-away to A3 history - there are also many things that were done better and at times a lot better compared to previous series,

and once again some individual BI members show strong personal dedication and effort - as always they have my, and of many others, very gratitude!

still on a strategic and high level decision making my impression is different. yet again for the most part we are all outsiders here and you should take this for what its worth.

• Like 2

To OP,

As others have mentioned, if you are looking for boosts in AI.... in my opinion after almost 5000 hours in Arma 3....  ALiVE + VCOM AI cannot be matched for an upgrade of both Strategic and Tactical AI.

Those 2 modifications alone can vastly transform your Arma 3 experience. 

• Thanks 2

"here comes the next warning / criticizing is not allowed"
I see a lot of excuses rather than candid observance and acceptance of customer questions...Thank for the DLCs they were actually quite good and worth every cent; put the same effort into some ai next should be my general request, of which does not need to be heeded and likely would not be anyway. Maybe money is the answer, hey I would pay 50$ for a DLC that improves path finding by 50% so the ai can travel through altis without incident. GTA SA could do it on ps2..OR just make another desert map so they have nothing to hit. Only because without AI at the core single player repeatable play is non existent.
Regards,

Edited by mechanical
missing the krux of the reason
  • Thanks 1

i have two observations regarding the arma AI and potential fixes (for arma 4 then, i guess...)

-> the main problem is, that AI has no tasking other than "kill everyone on sight", so they are bascally just a bunch of terminators or rabid dogs.

every AI group should have a tasking, or multiple tasking of different importance, so there could be a basic form of risk/reward calculation for each group, which could make the ai retreat, wait, pressure or push aggressively depending on the risk/reward.

If you think it through, in an extreme example i would argue, that one blufor and one opfor AI put on the map directly in front of each other but given no task, should not even try to kill each other, as long as nobody gets threatened and the presence of the enemy force is not detrimental to their tasking, which in this case would be none.

-> another problem is the lack of a strategic ai-layer, that could, if set up correctly, make strategic decisions and give orders to subordinate groups, like a human zeus would do. the mission designers job would then be to shape the strategic situation, giving tasking to the strategic AI and designating zones and areas of interest.

there is a very good mod that does sth. similar: "hetman artificial commander", however for arma 4, i would wish for something more sophisticated, that would work with different type of scenarios (hetman only works well in symmetrical, big open battles with sector control win condition)...

Since the improvement of AI is a complicated way and as seems to me, the @BIS is afraid that these additional scenarios for more complex AI behavior will slow down the game there is a simpler and more efficient way.

I think that additional settings inside each of the waypoints could significantly improve the quality of AI for Arma3.

This would be enough to get special AI behavior in certain situations.

For example, if it's a waypoint  - "SEEK AND DESTROY" then, inside of this waypoint might have the following settings:

1) radius for search 
2) time duration of the search
3) the radius of pursuit of the detected target
4) checkbox to check the buildings inside

Or if a waypoint  - "GUARD" then, inside of this waypoint might have the following settings:

1) defense area range limit

2) the checkbox for deployment of static weapons (if present)
3) the checkbox for using for defense the nearest vehicles
4) the checkbox for using closest buildings for defense (radius for buildings)

Etc for all waypoints.

If each waypoint could have additional advanced settings, then it would greatly improve the AI-behavior in Arma3 and not load the CPU with free calculations, as it could be with fully independent AI with tonns scripting/

I would really like to see such an opportunity in Arma3

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Exactly my point with the convoy waypoint, instead of having some one google a scripts and then having to copy paste it and all that drama, you can just put down a waypoint and be done. A good example of this is the RHS paradrop waypoint, no need to google a paradrop script just put a plane down and place the paradrop waypoint and you're done.

• Like 1