diwako

[Release] ACE Punish unknown/enemy weapon script

ACE Punish unknown weapon

Description:

A script that punishes picking up unknown/enemy weapons by degrading their efficiency!
As a mission maker and player, it is generally known not to pickup enemy guns for multiple reasons, such as being able to ID enemies easier.
During my time playing this game I saw multiple ideas how to limit players form picking up enemy guns. Most revolve around the idea of just straight up removing guns and ammo from dead enemies or even enemy guns from a player’s inventory.
This would also means running out of ammo as a player with no other way to resupply then looting enemy or friendly corpses will render you defenseless. I’ve been in similar situations like these before and all I could do was hope my squad would not run out of ammo or some other squad would safe us.

So, I started thinking of a way to discourage players form picking up enemy weapons, but not outright remove the option for them.
As a solution I came up with a system which makes enemy weapons less efficient and still usable, but it comes with a risk.
In general, unknown weapons will be less accurate the more the heat up, they are prone to jam more then your starting weapon and reloading can fail, so you have to reload again. (This is to simulate longer reloading times as it is not possible otherwise in ARMA)
The earlier mentioned risk is that such an unknown weapon can have a rare fatal chamber failure when jamming and it will basically explode in your face and makes the weapon itself unusable.

By no means is this script meant to be realistic. For me it is a gameplay mechanic and I treat it that way as well. Thus, it is really only meant to be used in COOP missions as the unknown weapon list is global to all players!

Requirements:

In order to use this script, you need to run these mods alongside it:

• CBA
  • ACE Overheating

Installation and configuration:

Copy over the contents of the “scripts” folder into your mission folder, add or edit your mission’s config settings in description.ext according to the example mission.
Installation is done.
Any configuration will be done within Eden editor and in 

Settings -> Addon Options -> Punish unknown weapon

For mission makers:

Here is a small rundown what which setting does and how in general this script works.

Q3JMVTy.png

Enable:
Enables the script on mission start.

Wait after mission begin:
This script will add all primary weapons from any player after the set time to the known weapon array and propagate it to all players and jips. Jips will send after 30 seconds (so custom loadouts can be applied) their current primary weapon to the server and it will add it to the known weapon pool and clear any disadvantages from other players for that weapon.

Add weapon dispersion:
Adds a flat value ON TOP of ACEs dispersion value. This makes weapons less accurate.

Add jam chance:
Adds a jamming percentage ON TOP of ACEs jamming chance.

Reload failure chance:
Chance of a reload failure for an unknown weapon.

Chance to destroy weapon on jam:
If a jam event occurs this is the chance that the weapon will straight up explode and hurt its current user.

Add more weapons: 
In case players do not have all their weapons on mission start, you can add weapon classes comma separate and WITHOUT whitespaces to this input field. Those weapons will be added as known weapon.

Add briefing entry:
Adds a Diary entry to the briefing menu warning players that this script is activated.

Enable propagation:
Enables if the server should collect weapon class names from players and add them to the whitelist. This is an advanced option and only experienced mission makers should use this. This option could be used to set up a play scenario for TvTs for example.

Variables

This script uses some variables which are not listed inside the addon options menu.

diwako_unknownwp_local_weapons:
This is a local array which ADDS to the whitelist from the server. It can be used to give units of choice more weapon choices without penalty. This is an advanced mission maker variable as there are rules for this variable.

• Only strings are allowed
  • Every string MUST be fully uppercase
  • No whitespaces in class names
  • Must be filled on mission start for the unit, mid mission not supported!

Download

https://github.com/diwako/ACE-punish-unknown-weapon/releases

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1549103861

• Like 9

Wish I could see what the "small rundown" is for the mission makers. This looks like a good tool but wondering if you could limit the player groups that would be allowed to use the various weapons with out punishing the whole server full of players? For instance lets say you have one group that plays as a Special Forces A Team and another that plays as just a US Army infantry unit. More times than not the regular infantry guys would be the ones that I would like to see not using enemy weapons that were recovered after a fire fight; unless they had no other choice due to no ammo for primary weapons, etc... but for the SF team they should have the knowledge of utilizing recovered enemy weapons and not being penalized.

Also isn't ACE Overheating listed in the CBA settings now as well?

I usually don't say this but this code might be something that you could see if the ACE team would be willing to push into their main mod once you get it dialed in 100%.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Nichols said:

Wish I could see what the "small rundown" is for the mission makers. This looks like a good tool but wondering if you could limit the player groups that would be allowed to use the various weapons with out punishing the whole server full of players? For instance lets say you have one group that plays as a Special Forces A Team and another that plays as just a US Army infantry unit. More times than not the regular infantry guys would be the ones that I would like to see not using enemy weapons that were recovered after a fire fight; unless they had no other choice due to no ammo for primary weapons, etc... but for the SF team they should have the knowledge of utilizing recovered enemy weapons and not being penalized.

That feature is currently not in the script, but it still is possible. The work around is for advanced mission makers tho. Over the course of the game a variable called "diw_unknownwp_weapon_whitelist" will be added and filled with known weapons. You could overwrite this variable with an array of upper case weapon classes for each player. Then this will work. You probably also should disable the propagation from the server which will overwrite that variable every time some new weapon has been added to the global variable.

Edit:

After thinking about it. you can just set that above mentioned variable to nil for Spec Ops or add a condition in the init file to not run on them.

• Like 1

I just released a mod version of this script. Technically it is still the same as the script version. It just features translations in english and german as well.

I will be working on the script version in the mean time,so both are the same, minus translations. That is why no new tag on the github is made so far.

E5337B70CB7C4E5D0D6DC5EAEC2F29ACB0A33432

Link to workshop item:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1549103861

Hello, I really liked this script, I screwed it to the TVT ace domination server. Do you plan to add grenade launchers to your skipt, for example, RPG-7 or others?

10 hours ago, Pogranec75 said:

Hello, I really liked this script, I screwed it to the TVT ace domination server. Do you plan to add grenade launchers to your skipt, for example, RPG-7 or others?

Right now any weapon in the primary weapon slot is supported.

I have no immediate plans for weapons for the launcher slot right now. Neither have I an Idea how to punish that in a manner that does not involve the warhead to explode right in the tube.

On 2018-11-06 at 7:58 AM, diwako said:

Right now any weapon in the primary weapon slot is supported.

I have no immediate plans for weapons for the launcher slot right now. Neither have I an Idea how to punish that in a manner that does not involve the warhead to explode right in the tube.

Wouldn't it work to just make them innacurate? Maybe make RPG-7's blow up when you lay down with them ;) Especially GL's are wayyy too accurate. Try using an m203 or gp25 in person and you'll understand what I mean. 

Looks like the recent ACE Overheating update broke this script.

On 3/26/2022 at 12:25 PM, MK84 said:

Looks like the recent ACE Overheating update broke this script.

thanks for letting me know, i will take a look and see how to fix it.

• Like 1

Would it be possible to have a brief explanation on how to set up a TvT match with this mod with different weapons for each side/team? A small video or a comment here would be really appreciated! Thank you in advance and thank you for this amazing mod mate! :) Cheers :)