Sign in to follow this  
Lazarus_Long

Foiled terrorist plot in france

CNN.com - Paris Terrorist Plot

Huh, have I been living in a cave or something?  Are the Algerians still sore about all that stuff back in the early nineties?  The news report seemed kind of vauge about who the protagonists were.  Anyone know whats going on?

[irony]Maybe if France would stop dictating foreign policy to the Muslim world, then they would cease to be the targets of terrorism[/irony]

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ Dec. 18 2002,02:50)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">[irony]Maybe if France would stop dictating foreign policy to the Muslim world, then they would cease to be the targets of terrorism[/irony]<span id='postcolor'>

ROFLMAO!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">

Fluffy Bunnyâ„¢ has left the building...but a new friend is here!

<span id='postcolor'>

WTF? I thought the Fluffy Bunnyâ„¢ was the official mascot of the OF Forum! And a few hours ago I say that Santa toy as the official "Signature too large" guy!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">

[irony]Maybe if France would stop dictating foreign policy to the Muslim world, then they would cease to be the targets of terrorism[/irony]

<span id='postcolor'>

LOL! xmas.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ Dec. 18 2002,07:50)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">[irony]Maybe if France would stop dictating foreign policy to the Muslim world, then they would cease to be the targets of terrorism[/irony]<span id='postcolor'>

HAHAHA! For once I get a joke about international politics!

This makes me a tad nervous (well, moreso). What if these guys are planning something in the U.S.? wow.gif

Oh well, we'll just have to bomb another terrorist-connected country. *eyes North Korea*

I am not french, but I guess France has some serious problems with Algerians since Algerian people still feel dominated by France. Algerians have french papers havent they ?

Ran ?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Balschoiw @ Dec. 18 2002,12:03)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I am not french, but I guess France has some serious problems with Algerians since Algerian people still feel dominated by France. Algerians have french papers havent they ?

Ran ?<span id='postcolor'>

algerian have algerian papers . remember ...we lost Algeria war ....

we DO NOT dictate foreign policy to the Muslim world

anymore

remember that once , France colonised the entire Mhagreb (morocco , tunisia , algeria)

algeria was a french colony , one of the main spoken languages here is still french but that's all

most of these muslim activists are just a bunch of nostalgics of the FLN ....

but , i really don't know what are there reasons to come in france to attempt bombings or so (note that some of their attempts were successfull) , maybe they're just some cheap terrorists who can't afford a flight to the US or .. i really don't know

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (USMC Sniper @ Dec. 18 2002,04:29)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">

Fluffy Bunnyâ„¢ has left the building...but a new friend is here!

<span id='postcolor'>

WTF? I thought the Fluffy Bunnyâ„¢ was the official mascot of the OF Forum! And a few hours ago I say that Santa toy as the official "Signature too large" guy!<span id='postcolor'>

fluffy bunny will be back soon. it's just away over the holydays. xmas.gif

there are many terrorists over europe. france isn't the only country which has a problem with terrorists organizations. german police has arrested someone who told be a former bodyguard of Ossama Bin Laden.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ran @ Dec. 18 2002,12:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">but , i really don't know what are there reasons to come in france to attempt bombings or so (note that some of their attempts were successfull) , maybe they're just some cheap terrorists who can't afford a flight to the US or .. i really don't know<span id='postcolor'>

Well, first of all France is an easy target with a large population of hardly integrated immigrants from the Magreb. Among them you can find enough fundamentalists (or people who fall for them). So it is easy for terrorists to get there, to find local support and to hide.

And, while France doesn't control Algeria, there's enough complaints from the political opposition (not talking about fundamentalists here, but those that want democratic reforms in Tunesia or Algeria) in these states claiming that France (and the EU) are the only thing keeping their corrupt governements in power. A position easily adopted by terrorists as justification for their actions.

Also France is a member of the UN's security council - making it responsible for all actions undertaken by this organization (like sanctioning the attacks on Afghanistan or a possible war in Iraq).

And finally don't forget - there's a lot of very nice US targets in or near France: embassies, companies, military bases in Germany...

All this might be reasons why France gets its share of terrorism, but basically I doubt terrorists care too much about who they hit - as long its the 'West' and the 'Rich' - those the make responsible for all their local problems (and sometimes we are, at least partially).

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ran @ Dec. 18 2002,12:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">wow.gif3--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Balschoiw @ Dec. 18 2002,12wow.gif3)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I am not french, but I guess France has some serious problems with Algerians since Algerian people still feel dominated by France. Algerians have french papers havent they ?

anymore

remember that once , France colonised the entire Mhagreb (morocco , tunisia , algeria)

algeria was a french colony , one of the main spoken languages here is still french but that's all

but , i really don't know what are there reasons to come in france to attempt bombings or so (note that some of their attempts were successfull) , maybe they're just some cheap terrorists who can't afford a flight to the US or .. i really don't know<span id='postcolor'>

Not so funny when it's your team, huh?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ Dec. 17 2002,16:15)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Not so funny when it's your team, huh?<span id='postcolor'>

Are you talking about someone saying something about France?

Or are you talking about an attack on France?

I seriously don't understand what the fuck you are trying to say with that smile.gif

And i hate it when i don't understand something!!! mad.gif

tounge.gif

Welcome to the show for any Americans out there, yes we have had our share of terrorism in Europe and there are still acts of terror going on like in France recently.

Whenever i speak to Americans (in America) they look down on me saying stupid things as if Europe was a child

e.g. "I bet you don't get terrorism over there do you, it must be nice living in a little village with no worries drinking tea. But now terror is the world's biggest threat and we must protect you and ourselves from it by killing the entire muslim population. Just tell me again, do you have coke in England?"

When you try to explain that Britain has been around for quite awhile now and that there is terrorism in Europe such as Munich (1972) or iranian embassy (1980) or just the past with northern ireland and nail bombs in shopping districts they think you're just trying to impress them and say you don't need to and they understand your confusion of being in a big city.

I wasn't really suprised when September 11th happened but then again i don't think many people were really, they just need to say they were to avoid being sued for not preventing it!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ Dec. 18 2002,02:50)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">[irony]Maybe if France would stop dictating foreign policy to the Muslim world, then they would cease to be the targets of terrorism[/irony]<span id='postcolor'>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Not so funny when it's your team, huh?

<span id='postcolor'>

You know that you are shooting down your own arguments. Yes, France has problems with Algerian terrorists but France is not going to invade Algeria, right?

Also here you can see the effects of imperialism. France is paying today for mistakes made 40 years ago. They are smart to realize that bombing/invading Algeria today would only create problems for the next 40 years.

Europe has made a lot of bad decisions through history that came back to haunt us. We have however learned from them and won't be repeating them. USA however is following the path that Europe once took. We are telling you that it isn't a good idea, since we know - our countries have already been in that position and know what the effects of imperialism are. Learn from our mistakes instead of blindly repeating them! Otherwise you will pay for it in the future, just like we have.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ran @ Dec. 18 2002,06:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">but , i really don't know what are there reasons to come in france to attempt bombings or so (note that some of their attempts were successfull) , maybe they're just some cheap terrorists who can't afford a flight to the US or .. i really don't know<span id='postcolor'>

cheap terrorists... hehhe biggrin.gif

actually I don't know either, maybe it was set up by an anti-terrorist nation... confused.gifxmas.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I wasn't really suprised when 11/09/01 happened <span id='postcolor'>

November 9th?   confused.gif  

I'm just kidding.  I know you Europeans like to write your dates backwards.  It looked really wierd, "nine-eleven" has become like its own word here now. "eleven-nine" just does not have the same ring to it.

Sorry about the spam but I couldn't resist.

xmas.gif

Well actually in Britain we don't really write our dates that way. It was a mistake on my behalf, but it's that way on my Casio watch so is it the Japanese who do it backwards?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Lazarus_Long @ Dec. 18 2002,17:50)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I wasn't really suprised when 11/09/01 happened <span id='postcolor'>

November 9th?   confused.gif  

I'm just kidding.  I know you Europeans like to write your dates backwards.  It looked really wierd, "nine-eleven" has become like its own word here now. "eleven-nine" just does not have the same ring to it.

Sorry about the spam but I couldn't resist.

xmas.gif<span id='postcolor'>

If you think about it, it is not backwards, it is in logical order. Day - Month - Year. In Sweden standard is Year- Month -  Date (i.e 2001-09-11) which makes even more sense  xmas.gif

Don't get me started on your measurement units  wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Jinef @ Dec. 17 2002,18:58)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Well actually in Britain we don't really write our dates that way. It was a mistake on my behalf, but it's that way on my Casio watch so is it the Japanese who do it backwards?<span id='postcolor'>

Here, in Belgium we write the date this way: Day month year

So basiclly what the americans know as 9/11/2001 is the 9th of Nov. for us smile.gif but ofcourse we get used to seeing this date all over the place so after a while you read it as 9/11 too smile.gif

11/09/2001 is the right date here...

lol , spam

yes , joltan , i agree , didn't remember those wink.gif

and tex , it's never been funny ... you know we've got our share of terrorist actions in the past ....

during the Algeria war , there were car bombings (or any other form of bombing) almost every week if not every day at some periods

we also got the Briton and Corse separatists who've been putting bombs in police precints , CRS garrissons and ministery of finances buildings (and they still do that today , but a little more rarely)

then , the algerian came back not so long ago in 1995 with several bombings in the Paris' metro system

-edit- forgoat about the 70's with the Jackal and all his hired or revolutionnary friends

sure a nailbomb looks less spectacular than 2 tower collapsing but still ...... terrorism is not new and you aren't the first to experiment it

and i don't think it's wrong to worry about the security of your country when it comes to this kind of incidents

so i'll ask you to shut up if you don't have anything constructive to say , i don't think anybody would come up and say anything in that taste in a thread about a foiled terrorist plot in USA

and since your war against terror is unniversal (worldwide at least) , the en you can say that it happens on YOUR side too

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ran @ Dec. 18 2002,17:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"><span id='postcolor'>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Yes, France has problems with Algerian terrorists but France is not going to invade Algeria, right?<span id='postcolor'>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">remember ...we lost Algeria war ....<span id='postcolor'>

Maybe they learned their lesson. tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FSPilot @ Dec. 18 2002,21:55)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Maybe they learned their lesson. tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

yes we did and you'd better do the same now if you don't wanna do it in the pain later

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ Dec. 18 2002,15:15)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ran @ Dec. 18 2002,12:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Balschoiw @ Dec. 18 2002,12<!--emo&wow.gif)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I am not french, but I guess France has some serious problems with Algerians since Algerian people still feel dominated by France. Algerians have french papers havent they ?

anymore

but , i really don't know what are there reasons to come in france to attempt bombings or so (note that some of their attempts were successfull) , maybe they're just some cheap terrorists who can't afford a flight to the US or .. i really don't know<span id='postcolor'>

Not so funny when it's your team, huh?<span id='postcolor'>

Moderators, ban me, but only if you feel I am lying. I am not.

Quote:

Not so funny when it's your team eh? Hah f**king ha. You are truly one sick bast*rd. I resent Americans preaching about politics. Look at how the US is alienating the world.

example:

http://www.sobran.com/columns/021212.shtml

And no, I'm no conspiracy theorist...

The point?

Listen, only now is the US feeling the fear of terrorism, the like of which Britain, Ireland, France etc have felt for years.

On the subject, I also seem to remember America sponsored the IRA, Saddam Hussein and the Taleban... ? Remember that IRA terrorist with the Barrett sniper rifle? Wonder where he got that from? Hmmm..

Funny how the worm turns, yeah?

Anyway: If you think I don't know about "terrorism" I KNOW you are wrong: FWIW, my father was in Aden, and he was with the UK Navy during the Cuba Crisis, on the *** *****. My father knows about insurgency and instability. And, before you start yawning, my uncle was on the front line touring Northern Ireland from 1972-1985, EVERY DAY facing death from an IRA bullet, bomb,whatever. (He is now a bomb disposal expert; his last *major* op was in Kuwait in 91- 92 clearing mines.)

regards,

Kojak

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (kojak_2002 @ Dec. 18 2002,23:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Moderators, ban me, but only if you feel I am lying. I am not.

Quote:

Not so funny when it's your team eh? Hah f**king ha. You are truly one sick bast*rd. I resent Americans preaching about politics. Look at how the US is alienating the world.

example:

http://www.sobran.com/columns/021212.shtml

And no, I'm no conspiracy theorist...

The point?

Listen, only now is the US feeling the fear of terrorism, the like of which Britain, Ireland, France etc have felt for years.

On the subject, I also seem to remember America sponsored the IRA, Saddam Hussein and the Taleban... ? Remember that IRA terrorist with the Barrett sniper rifle? Wonder where he got that from? Hmmm..

Funny how the worm turns, yeah?

Anyway: If you think I don't know about "terrorism" I KNOW you are wrong: FWIW, my father was in Aden, and he was with the UK Navy during the Cuba Crisis, on the *** *****. My father knows about insurgency and instability.  And, before you start yawning, my uncle was on the front line touring Northern Ireland from 1972-1985, EVERY DAY facing death from an IRA bullet,  bomb,whatever. (He is now a bomb disposal expert; his last *major* op was in Kuwait in 91- 92 clearing mines.)

regards,

Kojak<span id='postcolor'>

That's just great. Do you want a medal for risking being banned for having the sole anti-US voice in the ultra conservative wilderness that is this forum? Get in line, pal.

If you would be so kind as to supply a bit more proof for your claims than your obvious bias against the US and some rather pointless genetic credentials (who fucking cares what your daddy does? My dad is a Vietnam vet, so I'm an expert in small unit tactics icon4.gif). So an IRA terrorist uses an American weapon in a terrorist incident- if anything, this more than anything points to no US involvement in the incident; even if the US is as evil as you imply, we aren't stupid enough to just send a guy an American rifle and tell him to go nuts. Just an example, I've seen numerous photos of IRA members carrying HK G3s (My aunt and uncle are a professional photographer and HK sales rep respectively, so I must know what I'm talking about), does that mean Germany is sponsoring the IRA? You would be correct to call me an idiot for making such a tenuous connection.

Now, apparently more sarcastic humor is over a few forum members' heads, especially when not followed by 15 smiley faces, so maybe I'll just clam up in the future.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ran @ Dec. 19 2002,03:13)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"><span id='postcolor'>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">yes we did and you'd better do the same now if you don't wanna do it in the pain later<span id='postcolor'>

Yeah those algerians could really teach us a lesson. confused.gif

(dont bother responding. i know what you meant and i understand)

So, "Tex" do you think I am the only person who disagrees with US policy? Why not check out:

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard301/ikonboard.cgi?

s=3e01018960e6ffff;act=ST;f=11;t=24599

"If you would be so kind as to supply a bit more proof for your claims than your obvious bias against the US and some rather pointless genetic credentials (who fucking cares what your daddy does? My dad is a Vietnam vet, so I'm an expert in small unit tactics ). "

My point is that I have heard about terrorism from 1st hand rather than from CNN!

FACTS:

1) The US invaded Vietnam

2) The US got beat - and they can't handle it

3) The US sponsored the Taleban - DENY IT.

4) The US sponsored the IRA - DENY IT.

5) The US sponsored Saddam Hussein's regime - DENY IT.

organisations"

Hey Tex,

first: don't call me pal. And, never insult my family. All the Yanks did in Nam was kill innocent people, use agent orange and retreat. My uncle spent years clearing after your shitty mess in Kuwait and Somalia.

Second, tell me, if the IRA bombed YOUR country and Russia sponsored their firearms you'd be OK with it right?

Hey, maybe I'm totally wrong and the US never sponsored the IRA?

I really don't give a shit what your aunt and uncle did. I do know that your government is hypocritical when it talks about terrorism.

Tex, I won't fall foul of the moderators by telling you that you're a cock (merely conjecture, I never said he was). I will let the Europeans tell you the truth.