D42E388AE85A62CFB09E2B9058BBB1B4B1D3C7CE

SP The Bridge at Davle

This is a Cold War combined arms mission based on the 'Soviet Assault (Large)' scenario featured in the 'Cold War Gone Hot: World War III 1986' book of the Force on Force wargame series.

During 1987's spring season, the Soviets launch a massive assault across the Inner German Border.

Elements of the US Army's 2nd Battalion, 64th Armor and 2nd Battalion, 30th Infantry occupy a German village and nearby high ground awaiting the enemy assault across the bridge.

The Soviet forces consist of the lead tank company of the advanced guard battalion of the 120th Guards MRR, 39th Guards Motorized Division.

This scenario is based on an actual training mission fought by these US Army units NE of Schweinfurt, Germany during January 1987.

Can you succeed?

Required Addons

The mission requires Mikero's Editor Update 103 which can be downloaded from the link below:

https://www.ofpec.com/editors-depot/index.php?action=details&id=158&game=OFP

Readme

Spoiler

Welcome to the readme for the Operation Flashpoint/Arma Cold War Assault user created single player mission 'The Bridge at Davle'.

Version 1.0

INSTALLATION

Copy the mission pbo file into your missions folder, which is somewhere such as:

C:\Program Files\Codemasters\OperationFlashpoint\missions\

This is an unofficial mission - you know the drill!  Use at your own risk.

MISSION DETAILS

This mission is adapted from the 'Soviet Assault (Large)' scenario featured in the 'Cold War Gone Hot: World War III 1986' book of the Force on Force wargame series.

During 1987's spring season, the Soviets launch a massive assault across the Inner German Border.

Elements of the US Army's 2nd Battalion, 64th Armor and 2nd Battalion, 30th Infantry occupy a German village and nearby high ground awaiting the enemy assault across the bridge.

The Soviet forces consist of the lead tank company of the advanced guard battalion of the 120th Guards MRR, 39th Guards Motorized Division.

This scenario is based on an actual training mission fought by these US Army units NE of Schweinfurt, Germany during January 1987.

Can you succeed?

Created in OFP v1.99 Mac port by -Snafu-.  Please contact me on the official forums or on the OFPEC forums if you have any questions, problems, comments or words of congratulation.

Official Forum thread:

https://forums.bohemia.net/forums/topic/217432-sp-the-bridge-at-davle/

REQUIREMENTS

The mission requires Mikero's Editor Update 103 which can be downloaded from the link below:

https://www.ofpec.com/editors-depot/index.php?action=details&id=158&game=OFP

CHANGELOG

N/A

TO DO

- Release a version using STGN's M1 Abrams addon.
- Release a WGL version

CREDITS

Many thanks to everybody at OFPEC and the BIS Forums throughout the years who helped me with mission editing questions and contributed to topics or written tutorials that have helped me complete my missions. Without them I would not have the skills or knowledge to create missions. Specifically, I would like to thank h- and Gruntage on OFPEC for their help with past questions and their assistance with figuring out how to attach bushes to tanks as camo.

21 June 2018

Download Link

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZgO3VTXfA2m4sPjwcRLUWJO-NblL8nL2/view?usp=sharing

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

A good solid mission Snafu. The artillery is a simple and effective addition. If I have only one gripe, it's that it's not long enough. A second objective would've been great. :smile_o:

Thanks!

I wanted to do a US counterattack to seize the hills on the other side. However, getting tanks to cross the bridge proved difficult. In fact, one of the T-80 platoons is supposed to cross the bridge, instead, the platoon stays at the entrance and once or twice I've seen it in the water (haha).

I'll think about an additional objective and test ideas.

Was the bush camo on the tank a nice gimmick or a hindrance?

It tends to move a little depending on the terrain. So I assume it's setpos'd onto the tank. I wouldn't say it's "gimmicky" or a hindrance. But personally I'd go for the modeling approach. It can be intrusive, and I imagine it will bother a lot of folks.

Intro was nice too. Set up the scene without being too long winded. I'm patient though. :smile_o:

Bridges are the bane of AI. Sometimes roads seems to give them trouble too.. Or buildings. Trees. Or other AI. :icon_biggrin:

• Like 1

Thank you for this mission Snafu.

I liked the overview picture (couln't quite identify the vehicle in it), intro (especially the final perspective of the enemy sniper which supported the immersion for me - in a scenario like this I would expect the enemy to have eyes and ears on their objective. Some missions just give the feel that intel is miraculously acquired without any kind of listening/observation posts nearby) and briefing. Suggesting some defensive positions on the map in the briefing is a good idea. In this situation there likely would have been some sort of advance party to reconnoiter the objective or the defending units would be garrisoned nearby and should be familiar with the ground already.

In the mission itself, I was surprised to see some foilage attached to the tanks. You setPos'ed a bush from the editor update in an endless loop? Nice idea, it block the commander's view a bit too much though in the 11 o'clock sector. Still I like it. It's a nice alternative which would be compatible with any vehicle - addon or official - on which you can't simply change the model yourself just for a mission.

I liked the mission without another objective. With a 'realistic' scenario like this, another objective would shrink the realistic feel of the mission. You have just defeated the first wave of an enemy attack with dozens and dozens of follow-on forces inbound and likely have taken serious casualties. It would feel stupid to leave a favorable ground and conduct a counterattack or help out defenders in another sector with less than a company team of forces available. That's what you should have reserves for.

• Like 1

On 23/06/2018 at 2:41 PM, zwobot said:

Thank you for this mission Snafu.

I liked the overview picture (couln't quite identify the vehicle in it), intro (especially the final perspective of the enemy sniper which supported the immersion for me - in a scenario like this I would expect the enemy to have eyes and ears on their objective. Some missions just give the feel that intel is miraculously acquired without any kind of listening/observation posts nearby) and briefing. Suggesting some defensive positions on the map in the briefing is a good idea. In this situation there likely would have been some sort of advance party to reconnoiter the objective or the defending units would be garrisoned nearby and should be familiar with the ground already.

In the mission itself, I was surprised to see some foilage attached to the tanks. You setPos'ed a bush from the editor update in an endless loop? Nice idea, it block the commander's view a bit too much though in the 11 o'clock sector. Still I like it. It's a nice alternative which would be compatible with any vehicle - addon or official - on which you can't simply change the model yourself just for a mission.

I liked the mission without another objective. With a 'realistic' scenario like this, another objective would shrink the realistic feel of the mission. You have just defeated the first wave of an enemy attack with dozens and dozens of follow-on forces inbound and likely have taken serious casualties. It would feel stupid to leave a favorable ground and conduct a counterattack or help out defenders in another sector with less than a company team of forces available. That's what you should have reserves for.

You're welcome and thank you for your thoughts!

I got the overview picture from Wikimedia, it lists the vehicle as a Bradley - https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:M2_Bradley_and_Infantry_Reforger_1984.jpg

The bush on the tank was an idea I got from watching an Arma 3 tanks DLC video where you can attach various camo to the armor. I wanted to see something similar for OFP. I think it could have further potential with someone with more understanding of the scripting language. Yes, I think it's setPos'ed in an endless loop. I used the very old (2002) MG on vehicles script from OFPEC, which only allows you to manipulate the height of the object. There's another script on OFPEC that lets you change the height and distance from the centre of the object you're attaching the bush too. However, it constantly updates the object to face the same direction as the vehicle, which doesn't look good. I tried to adapt the MG on vehicles script so it didn't obstruct the view too much but my knowledge is limited.

I'll update this post in the near future to include a WGL version and one using STGN's M1 addon. After that, I'll have another look at the wargame scenario books and see what else I can adapt.

By the way, in the addon request thread I uploaded some mods/addons including Flashpoint in the Falklands. There's a mission or two of yours in there, I believe. I remember enjoying them very much and they're on my list to play again.

Interesting concept. Will give it a go later tonight.

• Like 1