OkRightBackToSleep

(proof of concept) Escape from Tarkov style stance/combat pace selection

Hi i have an idea of a mod that lets players change stance and combat pace (walk, jog, sprint etc.) using scroll wheel, similar to the mechanic used in Escape from Tarkov. i personally feel much less constrained in combat without having to memorize a bunch of keybinds, however i'd like to hear your opinion. if you guys like the idea i'll make it into a mod!

giphy.gif

demo video showcases changing movement pace using scroll wheel. lower left corner shows mouse wheel events.

proof of concept code

drop init_pace.sqf and macros.hpp in a test mission, run init_pace.sqf from your init.sqf. only forward movement (w key) is implemented. z to crouch and control to go prone.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Interesting, I like it

I like the idea... I haven't played EFT, but here's a little suggestion : maybe you could achieve greater control on pace and animation speed with setAnimSpeedCoef.

This way one would have some control on each pace/stance speed - for instance the running animation could be played at x1.5 speed before switching to the sprinting anim.

• Like 2

On 6/22/2018 at 10:48 AM, haleks said:

I like the idea... I haven't played EFT, but here's a little suggestion : maybe you could achieve greater control on pace and animation speed with setAnimSpeedCoef.

This way one would have some control on each pace/stance speed - for instance the running animation could be played at x1.5 speed before switching to the sprinting anim.

Yeah, it would be really nice to have a pace between the jogging and walking speeds for breaching

• Like 1

so i've decided i'll give it a try and implement this as a mod, no promises though as i basically need to replace all movement controls and animations (from WASD to stances).

thanks to everyone who commented and liked! i'm currently still working on another mod but i'll post an update (maybe in another thread) once progress is made!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Big fan of the Tarkov system, something similar here would be great.

Following with interest.

:rthumb:

• Like 2

This is very good. I'd love this to be in vanilla, with just hold ctrl or alt and scroll the mouse wheel.

This sounds much more convenient than the vanilla system. Maybe it'd be even better if you could hold shift and use the scroll wheel to change movement speed, while holding ctrl and scroll wheel to change stance up/down? That would make switching between all of that way quicker and you could change stance while moving.

• Like 1

I really like this idea - since original splinter cell I felt like EVERY tactical game should have this option! The one thing that'd be really usefull is some kind of small indicator that will be using names, like sneak, walk, jogging, running, sprinting - simple bar wouldn't be enough. Why? Same mistake in ACRE with using voice volume - they are not nammed so instead of saying "guys, switch medium whisper" I'm like "guys, switch to medium whisper. what? you don't know what that is? Well, when the whisper bar is kinda orange but not quite. Y'know, two scrolls up from lowest level". It's superclucky, so using names would help coordination.

Also, while you're tinkering with movement speed I'm begging you to switch movement speeds - while walking slowly it's different for forward, different for backward, different for sidestepping and different for diagonall walking. WTF, try holding diamond formation with that stupid speed differences, you need to catch up every few seconds if you're sidestepping while covering flank :/

• Like 1

Another thought about this mod. It’s clear that people like the movement system you’ve come up with. Could you perhaps consider doing something similar with weapons? 

In a large number of games you can switch weapons by scrolling on your mouse. Thoughts?

On 2-7-2018 at 10:33 AM, Flinty said:

Another thought about this mod. It’s clear that people like the movement system you’ve come up with. Could you perhaps consider doing something similar with weapons? 

In a large number of games you can switch weapons by scrolling on your mouse. Thoughts?

just bind your scrollwheel to the switch weapon functions?

• Like 1

Shit yeah could do lmao... kinda completely forgot about that :P 

Great idea. In the old Splinter Cell games you could adjust movement speed with the scroll wheel, made sneaking much easier.

• Like 1

Great idea, I really enjoy Tarkov's movement style and find it less clunky than a3. Following this thread for more updates!

thanks everyone for showing interest in my project! i think it's only fair that i give you some status update.

since last month i've formatted the original proof of concept script to a mod version and added support for left, right, and back movement. however i have yet to work out how to skip an animation that's currently being played. this results in, for example, pressing reload while crawling does not start reload animation immediately, instead the character will continue to craw for about a second (most Amov type animations last about 1s) before reloading. once i find workaround for this issue development should proceed a lot faster.

thanks for your patience and if you have idea for a solution feel free to comment!

GitHub link

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

best join the arma discord - people in scripting and animation channels should be able to give good advice

• Like 1

@OkRightBackToSleep: some advice from my experience with the "autoWalk" feature for Ravage :

- Always use PlayAction rather than playActionNow when that's possible. As far as I know, playActionNow is the only way to clear the actions queue; so it is best to keep it for situations where it's actually needed.

For instance, player playActionNow "stop" will cancel any animation being played (as long as previous actions in queue are "playAction"), and then can be immediatly followed by whatever action you want to play - the transition should be smooth.

In your case, something like this should do the trick :

player playActionNow "stop";
player playAction "ReloadMagazine";

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, haleks said:

@OkRightBackToSleep: some advice from my experience with the "autoWalk" feature for Ravage :

- Always use PlayAction rather than playActionNow when that's possible. As far as I know, playActionNow is the only way to clear the actions queue; so it is best to keep it for situations where it's actually needed.

For instance, player playActionNow "stop" will cancel any animation being played (as long as previous actions in queue are "playAction"), and then can be immediatly followed by whatever action you want to play - the transition should be smooth.

In your case, something like this should do the trick :

player playActionNow "stop";
player playAction "ReloadMagazine";

I've tried with playActionNow "Stop" and "Default". this results in the reload action queued after pressing "R" being removed and reload fails (a magazine is removed from inventory but gun isn't reloaded)

although thanks a lot for mentioning Ravage i'll check out its autowalk script and see how things are handled!

Edited by OkRightBackToSleep
edited for clarity

Your system seems to be a lot more fluid than the vanilla movement system. Very exciting.  would it be possible to add stance changes as well? So you control the movement speed with the mousewheel and the stance with (for example) shift + mousewheel? 

9 hours ago, OkRightBackToSleep said:

I've tried with playActionNow "Stop" and "Default". this results in the reload action queued after pressing "R" being removed and reload fails (a magazine is removed from inventory but gun isn't reloaded)

although thanks a lot for mentioning Ravage i'll check out its autowalk script and see how things are handled!

Maybe the animation sequence is being interrupted, you could try with reload instead, although I'm not sure how it will behave with playAction and playActionNow.

Note that you can't emulate every action with playAction, so if you use key press EHs, it is important to know when to override it or not.