VolumeInfinite

[RELEASE] WINGS, Windowed Instrument Navigation Guidance System (formerly Advanced Avionics Addon, A³)

2emhkpu.jpg

WINGS PRIMARY FEATURES

• Standalone 2nd Window Viewport of Aircraft Avionic Instruments in ArmA 3 ®
  • Digital Clock, with In-Game/Real-Life time display
  • Fuel Quantity
  • Fuel Flow and Aircraft Exhaust Gas Temperature (EGT)
  • Oil Temperature and Oil Pressure
  • Instrument Vacuum and Amperage
  • Airspeed, Attitude, Altitude, Rate-of-Turn, Heading, Vertical Speed and RPM indicators.
  • Navigation Instruments including VOR1, VOR2, ADF
  • Radio Navigation and Avionics Instrument Panel with support for COM1, COM2, NAV1, NAV2, ADF, DME frequencies with Morse Code Identifier
  • Adjustable Dials, Knobs and Functionality to provide Realistic Flight Simulation Experiences
  • Compatible with customActions to enable Button Input Functionality to Operate Panel
  • Support for Night Vision Goggles and Panel Backlighting with 2 Colour Modes; Orange and Green
  • Support for Saitek/Logitech Flight Panel Hardware, for multiple devices
  • Integrated Mission Support via Mission Templates and PBO Addon File
  • Create and Navigate between your own Airports via the Mission Editor!

WINGS AUXILIARY FEATURES

• Built as a 2nd Screen Application for Customisable Flight Simulators
  • Powered by ArmARedisDB; a fully functional and real-time speed Memory Database system providing accurate, reliable data results
  • Customisable, gauges and solutions available upon request

zmfask.jpg

CONCEPT DESIGN

sfgco9.jpg

SCREENSHOTS

fehpoh.jpg

25zrm9k.jpg

2repl38.jpg

bezjvq.jpg

29vxe69.jpg

ofdaad.jpg

OFFICIAL TRAILERS

ADDITIONAL CAPABILITIES

In addition to our groundbreaking venture, we have been working alongside ArturDCS to

create an additional 'key emulator' application based upon his well renown DCSFP suite.

This application is a new, standalone version is built specifically for ArmA use and allows

for users to operate the legendary Saitek Pro Flight equipment for use in Armed Assault..!

Click Here for ArmAFP Github Repository!

This will be packaged with the full release of WINGS.

DOWNLOAD LINKS

Click Here for Google Drive Mod Download!

Click Here for Steam Subscriber Download!

NOTICE: The download is available, and we expect changes, defects or errors as the

project encounters various mod compatibilities. Please report them here or

on the steam community workshop. Please ensure you read the readme.pdf

CREDITS & SPECIAL THANKS

•   Bohemia Interactive, inspiring simulation enthusiasts for generations to come!
  •   VolumeInfinite, Project Manager, Lead Designer, Lead Artist, Lead UI/UX Design
  •   Creedcoder, Lead Programmer
  • 『BLANK』Programming
  •   Yax, CBA Input Programmer
  •   ArturDCS, Middleware Programmer

Special Thanks to Doofer911 (their YouTube channel is available here) for their advice

on implementing NAVAIDs into ArmA 3; an upcoming potential feature. Additionally, we

would like to thank Crielaard, Firewill and Yax for their flight simulation support/advice!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 4

Interesting concept, I look forward to seeing how this progresses 

• Thanks 1

We should have more coming updates over the next few weeks. Creedcoder managed to get it optimised from Redis' side, so now we just need to keep up with it. :D

And we plan on getting more community input, such as final name, logo and ideas that you all would like to see added to the final project!

So is this just a general 2nd screen, that you put a self-built cover over for looks ? Or is that purpose built hardware you buy somewhere?

Looks interesting. If you are looking for customizable options, maybe a toggle for metric/imperial units (e.g. soviet is all metric) would be worthwhile. Also soviet artificial horizon style unit - it's pretty good and (imo) more handy than typical western "brown-blue-ball". Climb indicator on arma planes will usually just bounce all over the place. Making it non-linear (in discrete steps) helps.

Oil, Vacuum and Ammeter Indicator are only window dressing. Yes, flavor. There are more relevant indicators that could be integrated though. G force indicator;  Flaps, Gear, Light status;  Damage status;  Lock on warning. Just saying.

Can I display the indicators in-game overlay like advanced mode for helicopters? Planning to buy the indicators, but I don't have them for now, so would be great if I could see those in-game screen!

10 hours ago, x3kj said:

So is this just a general 2nd screen, that you put a self-built cover over for looks ? Or is that purpose built hardware you buy somewhere?

Looks interesting. If you are looking for customizable options, maybe a toggle for metric/imperial units (e.g. soviet is all metric) would be worthwhile. Also soviet artificial horizon style unit - it's pretty good and (imo) more handy than typical western "brown-blue-ball". Climb indicator on arma planes will usually just bounce all over the place. Making it non-linear (in discrete steps) helps.

Oil, Vacuum and Ammeter Indicator are only window dressing. Yes, flavor. There are more relevant indicators that could be integrated though. G force indicator;  Flaps, Gear, Light status;  Damage status;  Lock on warning. Just saying.

The screen cover comes from a manufacturer that we're in contact with, called Diagma. It

does happen to have USB functionality; but at present we're not making that mandatory.

Same for the Saitek panel support, we want to have software knobs/functions for anyone

who cannot buy or use the hardware panels. That is just a design choice we have gone for.

In regards to customisable measurements/units, we aim to offer different applets for all

the types of consumers we are approached by. You can swap out the Unity .exe file and

it will show whatever is requested! And the Oil, Vacuum and Ammeter will have plugged

into the damage system in ArmA, so they do work but mainly indicate if there are problems.

:)

3 minutes ago, Orbis_ said:

Can I display the indicators in-game overlay like advanced mode for helicopters? Planning to buy the indicators, but I don't have them for now, so would be great if I could see those in-game screen!

This will likely be free, dev kits or source may be commission requested, still not

discussed yet. However, we aim to make this basically free for anyone to utilise.

These will only be available as an externally output set of gauges, and we may in

time pursue an in-game RSC HUD overlay that does similar functions as the app.

The only premium we can foresee being plausible is if someone has some crazy

ideas for custom (and we mean really custom) flight gauges with specific values

or instrumentation. Otherwise, this will be fully available to anyone and everyone.

1 hour ago, brainslush said:

Nice idea but why not use intercept? It provides you with a more direct connection to A3.

And just FYI make sure not to use any BI tools if you inted to sell custom ingame gauges. See

https://www.bohemia.net/community/game-content-usage-rules

Intercept is way too slow for this kind of project.

Due to plug n play via Redis you also save code.

3 hours ago, brainslush said:

Nice idea but why not use intercept? It provides you with a more direct connection to A3.

And just FYI make sure not to use any BI tools if you inted to sell custom ingame gauges. See

https://www.bohemia.net/community/game-content-usage-rules

To be clear, this software is built in an external application and does not utilise

any Bohemia content, rather it merely accesses read functions to get the data.

It's a great idea to intercept the key messages, but as Creed stated; his RedisDB

is efficiently able to collect key press data while maintaining low code digestion.

^^

2 hours ago, Creedcoder said:

Can you explain? I'll fix it if you can tell me what's wrong

5 minutes ago, Dedmen said:

Can you explain? I'll fix it if you can tell me what's wrong

I believe this is because it requires script on ArmA's side to handle

input detection -> detected state -> sent to RedisDB for parsing. A

way to do it via Redis is to just get the key directly without needing

to interfere with ArmA too much; making it less heavy on the game.

At least that's my understanding of it. (gotta keep in mind we are

piping a lot of values in use from ArmA directly, and those values

change rapidly in real time to make the gauges seem immersive).

Easier if we don't make a lot of strain on the mission's scripting..! ^^

On 23.6.2018 at 9:41 PM, VolumeInfinite said:

I believe this is because it requires script on ArmA's side to handle

input detection -> detected state -> sent to RedisDB for parsing.

That is exactly what Intercept would get rid of. Execute scripts without the slowness of actually executing scripts and without having to pipe stuff through the slow callExtension interface.

A way to do it via Redis is to just get the key directly without needing to interfere with ArmA too much;

Redis can detect key inputs? I thought Redis was a database ^^

gotta keep in mind we are piping a lot of values in use from ArmA directly

How are you doing that without SQF scripts and callExtension?

6 minutes ago, Dedmen said:

That is exactly what Intercept would get rid of. Execute scripts without the slowness of actually executing scripts and without having to pipe stuff through the slow callExtension interface.

Redis can detect key inputs? I thought Redis was a database ^^

How are you doing that without SQF scripts and callExtension?

Yup sorry, shoulda clarified; the ArmARedisDB is a callExtension

that is using SQF, and Redis is a DB yes; but we can get inputs in

Redis as messages sent (as far as i was aware at least, have not

tried yet). Hope that helps clarify some things, I shoulda clarified!

23 minutes ago, VolumeInfinite said:

ArmARedisDB is a callExtension that is using SQF

Intercept get's rid of all of SQF and callExtensions slowness. And also pass the messages to redis asynchronously to impact the game as little as possible.

So you are doing exactly what Me and brainslush expected. And why we recommended Intercept which will improve that alot.

Meaning:

On 23.6.2018 at 7:02 PM, Creedcoder said:

Is just because you don't understand what Intercept does. Because way faster than what you are currently doing... Well, might still be too slow but better than what you have I guess.

I have the same with TFAR where I really need to push alot of data around. But with TFAR the actual serialization is the bottleneck, even before the callExtension. But with Intercept I can just do that in a seperate thread.

Just stand by until the project is accessible for testers! ^^

On a side note; 100.00% on more gauges, still have a few

issues to flatten out so far. Not looking too bad though...!

Just a teaser of what's to come...

apicmp.jpg

The Automatic Direction Finder (ADF) does work. Pilots

will be able to navigate from airport to airport in ArmA...

• Thanks 2

Wow very cool indeed!

Wow cool... BTW, the ITC Air system is working on A/P and has waypoints features, so making a compat capability with that and A3's VOR/DME maybe a great match.

99.99% Complete with SP Testing; requires extra work to complete MP compatibility (unknown yet).

Oh, and Backlit Panel Lighting Toggle Button / Night Vision Detection...

Will upload some progress soon. Navigation works completely.

• Like 2

Could you add a "airspeed bug" too? A small arrow that sets a max and minimum speed that can be connected to a autopilot setting. thnx

An accelerometer for helicopters would be neat. The ngauge that tells you in which direction you are moving momentarily. If you fly with Advanced Flight model and activate the HUD instruments it is the second one from the right hand side (the cross with the dot). Quite important for hovering.

29672470588_50d01e79c3_z.jpg

• Like 1

Updated front page, project name declassified: WINGS is publicly viewable.

Release imminent.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 20/07/2018 at 2:27 PM, john1 said:

Could you add a "airspeed bug" too? A small arrow that sets a max and minimum speed that can be connected to a autopilot setting. thnx

On 21/07/2018 at 10:30 AM, kibyde said:

An accelerometer for helicopters would be neat. The ngauge that tells you in which direction you are moving momentarily. If you fly with Advanced Flight model and activate the HUD instruments it is the second one from the right hand side (the cross with the dot). Quite important for hovering.

29672470588_50d01e79c3_z.jpg

Hi guys,

@john1 I believe you're talking about a feature that is not likely to be supported yet, but there are mods that do this already.

@kibyde I'm certain it is possible but for now the initial project will not include that.

For anyone wondering, we do take custom requests when we finish with the initial release.

• Like 1