Fighting for a grid. Shows 1 remaining. Suddenly: 19 remaining! Why?

This strange, obfuscated mechanics make the gameplay experience very arbitrary.

Command AI issues:

The command AI cant handle situations like this one. It sends AI groups from the central part around Theresia to the top right part of the island to capture that single area.

pic: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1521686993

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, VariousArtist said:

Fighting for a grid. Shows 1 remaining. Suddenly: 19 remaining! Why?

This strange, obfuscated mechanics make the gameplay experience very arbitrary.

Command AI issues:

The command AI cant handle situations like this one. It sends AI groups from the central part around Theresia to the top right part of the island to capture that single area.

pic: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1521686993

This issue has been brought up many a time. If it says 1 remaining, with the bar full, the grid has not been started. VariousArtist I appreciate your input but you act like I get paid to do this. Right now, I could care less about this kind of input.

I will be changing the systems up, but only when I feel like working on the project. If you are having a hard time playing try not playing the mission anymore. My crew and I have no problem with creating frontlines or choke points. The goal is to make a chaotic war, not a simple AO to AO feeling.

:D I've been going to ask for a long time what the "check supplies" action is for. yesterday found it out by myself.  its...its just not fair... it is just like put petard in christmas present! :D

hope, I won't bother you if I leave a few more suggestions here.

• what you think about allowing build AirFactory at captured airfields only? it will make airfields a more valuable target to gain more advantage in the air using jets.
  • is it possible to forbid commander to build structures on the roads and airstrips? it'll prevent cases of stucking vehicles in towns and will allow spawn jets at ground with need to take off normally (if you've been captured airfield :)).
  • Like 1

On 25.9.2018 at 8:13 AM, genesis92x said:

VariousArtist I appreciate your input but you act like I get paid to do this. Right now, I could care less about this kind of input.

I honestly have no idea what youre talking about. I act like what?

6 hours ago, VariousArtist said:

I honestly have no idea what youre talking about. I act like what?

right now, you acts like offtoper. this thread about mod, not about your acts.

Just a suggestion. 

It would be great if there was an option to limit the number of towns on the map.  like limit it to 8 towns / capture points. and maybe make a multiplier for the resources so games with few capture points still work resource wise.

I know you're reworking the way towns work so this may be a parameter worth adding. 

Hostile units spawn on top of you in an AO

Town spawning is tricky, and I might have to make it more into a "wave" system - I am not sure. Currently it works like this

1) Towns will utilize a limited number of buildings to spawn AI from first. Once all towns have spawned the max number of AI they can handle, it will begin spawning AI in the center of the town. Before it was setup where the AI would spawn randomly AROUND the town and attack in - creating a frustrating experience for players on the edge of an AO and a weird "We are always surrounded" feeling. 

2) Spawning all the AI in at once is not feasible as some towns can have up to 100 units. That's way too many AI at once.

This is an interesting dilemma. As everyone who plays Arma knows the limits with bottleneck and AI spawn issues. 

Id like to make some suggestions to take in to consideration. I do not know for certain. You may already have some of these.

1. Reduce the cap of AI per town. By half in some cases. 

2. Reduce the number of players allowed to play. 

3. Reinforcements may be more sensitive ( more waves, numbers etc...) for high valve towns / areas but not in smaller areas.

4. I know part of this mission is based on supplies / assets.  May be reduce the number of AI around allied bases by half. If possible make more static positions. But reduce 8 man to 2-4 man patrols. With more AI as defensive roles in buildings and covered static positions, less patrols.

5. IF possible have AI command and user/s try to utilize more reinforcement type units. But this would have a cost and timer applied to distance from main base and travel time.

6. In assaulting a position AI would more likely be aggressive vs already holding an area as defensive. This is a tricky part. For me I would rather have less units in defensive roles with reinforcements called up and assaulting groups having more aggressive tactics and possibly waves. Defensive positions have motors, support group, AA, flares at night, statics etc... whereas assaulting only have fast movers, armor and aggressive tactics.

Again, I do not know exactly how you have it set up. Arma is tricky b/c of bottleneck on server. In my experience smaller groups of AI and players on maps with A LOT going on is best. Or reducing everything going on around the entire map to smaller regions.  Your mission is great concept however only limited by software and engine. 

Lastly, I know its not your vision but perhaps reduce map to regions only in to quarters and once players advance in to a region then the AI command determines its moves. Perhaps force players to chose FOB or respawn point and only until a certain radius is cleared then a FOB can be dropped. 

Again, I do not know how you set it up. You may already do most of this. 

Also thanks for everything you have brought to this community. I played with you in Bravo Co. early on during VcomAI. Its one of the best scripts to date. You have dedicated much of your time to these projects and learned coding as you went. I envy your perseverance. Good luck with you endeavors. 

• Like 4

Maybe it's a bit expensive to check, but maybe another solution for spawning AI of towns (i use town for simplification here, but it could be any capture location) could be dynamic based on proximity of enemy units (those that trigger spawning), so that they don't spawn behind the intruders and also not directly next to them. A spawning-safezone sector (like the piece of a pie, going from the capture enter) around intruders basically, .

Another possible alternative: Deploy a couple of military buildings in and around the town/location. Each of those buildings units can spawn inside and then walk out. That means it will not be entirely unexpected where they appear from and they won't just pop in in plain sight. On the outskirts there could be tents or some other smaller building. The closer you get to the center of capture, the larger the military building could be. And the more units could be expected to exit from there.

This also provides the opportunity to stagger the spawning, so that new units can spawn mid town-battle for the AI town defenders to replenish their numbers - ideally in a location that is least contested of course. If the buildings cant be looked inside of, nobody will notice someone spawning in it, unless they are in the building themself.

That said, it needs to be possible to disable a building from spawning entirely (e.g. capture, or maybe also destruction from inside via explosion charges or something like that). Otherwise attackers still have to worry about units spawning from the place they already cleared, once they get further away on their mission to clear the town.

Maybe another idea is to reduce number of AI per town slightly, but send instead one or two groups of reinforcement from another location via transport (just one or two - not more). Number and type of reinforcement could depend on size of town that sends it.

1 hour ago, jandrews said:

4. I know part of this mission is based on supplies / assets.  May be reduce the number of AI around allied bases by half. If possible make more static positions. But reduce 8 man to 2-4 man patrols. With more AI as defensive roles in buildings and covered static positions, less patrols.

this is a good idea. 2 Man patrols - not for the purpose of killing the enemy. They just need to discover an enemy and alert the stationed defenders attacking team. The attacking team is a larger team, which responds to things the patrol spotted (or got killed by). This is also pretty realistic i think. Static overwatches + a few patrols to control and close the gap in static overwatch (and be less predictable than static overwatches) + mobile combat teams at the ready to respond. The combat team can then spawn in in case of need (again, maybe inside a baracks building or something like that).

• Like 2

Sorry if stupid question, but you say this is PVP COOP? Does that mean running this on a dedi for COOP only group will not “work”? Are there vital features that will fail if we only fight against AI commander?

Thanks. Your mission looks awesome! :)

Hey everyone! Just an update, looking to release another...update...for the mission here - I am resolving many issues and changing how towns become activated and etc.

I am moving to a "one town active" at a time system per faction. This active town will have a clear indicator on the map for players.

I ran into - yet another issue - with parachutes causing severe de-sync. I am going to try using the "vehicle" parachutes and see if we get a issue.

On 10/20/2018 at 2:18 AM, specialsmith said:

Sorry if stupid question, but you say this is PVP COOP? Does that mean running this on a dedi for COOP only group will not “work”? Are there vital features that will fail if we only fight against AI commander?

Thanks. Your mission looks awesome! :)

It can be either PvP or Coop. If you are playing all on one side, the enemy commander gets buff to it's unit count and unit skills, allowing them to capture towns easier. There are no features that will fail we you fight against an AI commander. The mission is designed to go on with, or without, players.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 10/22/2018 at 4:08 PM, kremator said:

Looking forward to the update mate :)

Thanks! It's coming along very nicely, especially with the fixes to Vcom AI. 

The missions FPS is much better. But of course, I am having headless client issues now... With the headless client enable, the AI will freeze in place and sometimes suddenly loose all their gear.

Even without a headless client the server is getting 40-46FPS under a heavy load. I would assume 30-40 with major battles occurring as well. I might just say use a headless client at your own risk as I can't figure out what is causing these strange issues.

On 9/29/2018 at 9:46 AM, jandrews said:

Hostile units spawn on top of you in an AO

Town spawning is tricky, and I might have to make it more into a "wave" system - I am not sure. Currently it works like this

1) Towns will utilize a limited number of buildings to spawn AI from first. Once all towns have spawned the max number of AI they can handle, it will begin spawning AI in the center of the town. Before it was setup where the AI would spawn randomly AROUND the town and attack in - creating a frustrating experience for players on the edge of an AO and a weird "We are always surrounded" feeling. 

2) Spawning all the AI in at once is not feasible as some towns can have up to 100 units. That's way too many AI at once.

This is an interesting dilemma. As everyone who plays Arma knows the limits with bottleneck and AI spawn issues. 

Id like to make some suggestions to take in to consideration. I do not know for certain. You may already have some of these.

3. Reinforcements may be more sensitive ( more waves, numbers etc...) for high valve towns / areas but not in smaller areas.

5. IF possible have AI command and user/s try to utilize more reinforcement type units. But this would have a cost and timer applied to distance from main base and travel time.

6. In assaulting a position AI would more likely be aggressive vs already holding an area as defensive. This is a tricky part. For me I would rather have less units in defensive roles with reinforcements called up and assaulting groups having more aggressive tactics and possibly waves. Defensive positions have motors, support group, AA, flares at night, statics etc... whereas assaulting only have fast movers, armor and aggressive tactics.

Again, I do not know exactly how you have it set up. Arma is tricky b/c of bottleneck on server. In my experience smaller groups of AI and players on maps with A LOT going on is best. Or reducing everything going on around the entire map to smaller regions.  Your mission is great concept however only limited by software and engine. 

Lastly, I know its not your vision but perhaps reduce map to regions only in to quarters and once players advance in to a region then the AI command determines its moves. Perhaps force players to chose FOB or respawn point and only until a certain radius is cleared then a FOB can be dropped. 

Again, I do not know how you set it up. You may already do most of this. 

Also thanks for everything you have brought to this community. I played with you in Bravo Co. early on during VcomAI. Its one of the best scripts to date. You have dedicated much of your time to these projects and learned coding as you went. I envy your perseverance. Good luck with you endeavors. 

Not sure how I missed this post...

1) This should be easily changed via config in the mission, easy to add

2) This is something that is easily changeable, how many do you suggest per side?

3) Not a bad idea actually...for bigger towns, bigger groups?

4) I like this idea. This makes me want to make cached defensive positions that only spawn once enemies get close. Allowing the command to place a healthy amount around without causing FPS issues.

5) Like having more aircraft reinforce squads far away?

6) This is a good concept - It would require a change in the spawning code and a good way to identify aggressive vs defensive... hmm

I think limiting the mission to one to two towns active at a time is the best way to go. This allows for more interesting combat - while still being able to implement more interesting features like your AI static defense idea.

Thank you for the support :) I appreciate it.

On 9/28/2018 at 1:34 AM, jackralph96@gmail.com said:

Just a suggestion. 

It would be great if there was an option to limit the number of towns on the map.  like limit it to 8 towns / capture points. and maybe make a multiplier for the resources so games with few capture points still work resource wise.

I know you're reworking the way towns work so this may be a parameter worth adding. 

Not a bad suggestion...Making it pick towns surrounding a certain point? This might make for quicker and fast paced games.

On 9/29/2018 at 10:35 AM, x3kj said:

Maybe it's a bit expensive to check, but maybe another solution for spawning AI of towns (i use town for simplification here, but it could be any capture location) could be dynamic based on proximity of enemy units (those that trigger spawning), so that they don't spawn behind the intruders and also not directly next to them. A spawning-safezone sector (like the piece of a pie, going from the capture enter) around intruders basically, .

Another possible alternative: Deploy a couple of military buildings in and around the town/location. Each of those buildings units can spawn inside and then walk out. That means it will not be entirely unexpected where they appear from and they won't just pop in in plain sight. On the outskirts there could be tents or some other smaller building. The closer you get to the center of capture, the larger the military building could be. And the more units could be expected to exit from there.

This also provides the opportunity to stagger the spawning, so that new units can spawn mid town-battle for the AI town defenders to replenish their numbers - ideally in a location that is least contested of course. If the buildings cant be looked inside of, nobody will notice someone spawning in it, unless they are in the building themself.

That said, it needs to be possible to disable a building from spawning entirely (e.g. capture, or maybe also destruction from inside via explosion charges or something like that). Otherwise attackers still have to worry about units spawning from the place they already cleared, once they get further away on their mission to clear the town.

Maybe another idea is to reduce number of AI per town slightly, but send instead one or two groups of reinforcement from another location via transport (just one or two - not more). Number and type of reinforcement could depend on size of town that sends it.

this is a good idea. 2 Man patrols - not for the purpose of killing the enemy. They just need to discover an enemy and alert the stationed defenders attacking team. The attacking team is a larger team, which responds to things the patrol spotted (or got killed by). This is also pretty realistic i think. Static overwatches + a few patrols to control and close the gap in static overwatch (and be less predictable than static overwatches) + mobile combat teams at the ready to respond. The combat team can then spawn in in case of need (again, maybe inside a baracks building or something like that).

Having the AI spawn inside buildings is a great idea - I do this now, but having a few spawned military buildings to further conceal spawning is not a bad idea...Hmm...maybe compromising and having a military building spawn near the center of town where the AI spawn out of is not a bad idea at all.

I do like the idea of more dynamic patrols that respond realistically to attacks.

Working on Vcom and Dissension at the same time here...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, genesis92x said:

Not a bad suggestion...Making it pick towns surrounding a certain point? This might make for quicker and fast paced games.

For pure function testing Zargabad is always welcome. Limited amount of towns, resource-friendly desert (but I hate desert!) vehicle-friendly, CTI like missions could be consumed like a snack rather then a 15 hours warfare.

So others can comment.

My suggestions:

Your responses:

1) This should be easily changed via config in the mission, easy to add

2) This is something that is easily changeable, how many do you suggest per side?

3) Not a bad idea actually...for bigger towns, bigger groups?

4) I like this idea. This makes me want to make cached defensive positions that only spawn once enemies get close. Allowing the command to place a healthy amount around without causing FPS issues.

5) Like having more aircraft reinforce squads far away?

6) This is a good concept - It would require a change in the spawning code and a good way to identify aggressive vs defensive... hmm

I think limiting the mission to one to two towns active at a time is the best way to go. This allows for more interesting combat - while still being able to implement more interesting features like your AI static defense idea.

1. parameter option?

2. parameter option? - but with more players may be also a parameter to reduce AI per town - not sure how much code this involves.

3. Yeah. bigger towns and ones of more strategic valve draws in more troops / assets. But if you as a player lose this you may lose more asset points? make it more strategy based. 

4. Defensive towns:

Smaller towns or ones with less value would warrant a few defensive groups, perhaps with static MGs and mortars. AI in houses for house to house fighting. Smaller AI patrols of 2 around the area. May be a sniper squad providing overwatch to small area but may be around valuable resource. or even apers wire traps.

Larger towns with more value would warrant the basic defensive statics and house to house but also a few lite armor or a chance for heavy armor. Along with reinforcements able to called in via para-drop, heli landing or by ground. these would spawn in may be 500 meters out depending on the type and drop / insert a few hundred meters out. Which could have a chance with a attack heli as support for covering reinforcements. Imagine your squad just captured a high value area, just to see over the horizon a few enemy heli's dropping or landing in enemy reinforcements along with an attack heli for air support. Or may be even a jet come in and drop a few bombs to open up the town then troops move in to re take the area. Players would really need to build up assets and have supply chains to withstand something along those lines. Even with ground inserts with a few transport trucks / troop carriers loaded being escorted by a few ifrits with MGs. Players would really have to decide on defending or retreating to another area. They themselves calling in support ( like art'y or strategic bombing )  if they have the resources. If not they may need to retreat and try later. Of course the value of the area, timer on reinforcements would take consideration. Also, would those reinforcements / attacking units then turn in to defensive roles and AI command use the attacking assets somewhere else? 

5.Yeah, reinforcements could be anything. based on the above. I always like to see enemy helis para dropping or landing near the area and know whats coming.  Even seeing some aggressive ifrits or madrids with troops is fun.  An enemy attack heli would add more stress to players and really make playing an AA soldier or engineer to plant mines on a road mean something. Having to set up defenses like mining a main road or build some defensive barriers per select characters could expand roles.

6. The Front lines should be stressful. those would be sides of defensive units vs assaulting units as your recent video. It looked really nice. That mortar unit could be better placed obviously but its AI. may be he could be in a open bunker or just sand bags in a circle and he or a few are in the circle. Static MG's in cover or bunker are always priority for players to take out.  Occasional ambient planes dropping bombs or strafing would be awesome. Attack heli's circling the area firing on players would be really stressful. I am sure all this eats frames but may be give these a smaller chance and not at all smaller areas or ones with little no value. Rolling armed vehicles are always stressful. Players have to again prioritize which makes it more strategic. Not just run in. I may even delay the amount of time it takes a player to be revived ( parameter ). ( not sure how you have yours set up ). But some games now provide almost instant revive. I feel players need to suffer if they want to rambo in. Vcomai typically takes care of this too.:) 

If anyone else has more ideas please add on.

Good luck. Look forward to your updates.

Thanks for this great mission, really looking forward to update
What about using github with dev branch for such impatient people like me?)

By the way i made extended rhs preset for dissension, with a much greater variety of vehicles on both sides. it's maybe pretty unbalansed, but it's fun. Perhaps someone come in handy)

https://pastebin.com/eNsdZyBE

Please, for the love of BIS, release the server file. Can't get HC to work and this really needs a dedicated box to run smoothly. Absolutely insane mission btw, the best cti by far! Vcom is just amazing!

We want this so bad, I somehow managed to get it running as a dedi without error messages though it seemed to stagnate after 1 hour so with no more advancement from the ai.

We are a small but very experienced arma unit with 10k+ hours between the four of us, we would bug-test this for you with great honor and detail! Please consider releasing the files here at least.. or pm me and we'll talk :)

Again, thank you for your work! The community appreciate you guys more than you think!

Love from Sweden

Love wat u have done its the best CTI/Warlord/coop miission i have ever played and i have played all of the CTI type of missions.

Wat i have read and tryed it is not 100% working dedicatidly hosted? but localy hosting it works? 

From wat i have tested u can put this mission on any map, just by changing the name, True?

Have no problem waiting for something this good :D

Is there any kind of timeline?

Love from Sweden <3

Edited by Carl Uvebrant
No BUMP

Please don't bump .. that's not the way we do things around here.  Dissension will be ready.... when its readyTM.

• Like 1

Hi, looks like i'm accidentally find a bug, and fix it) In dis_IncomeTimer.sqf in lines 150 and 163 you have "_PTake = 50" and "_PTake = 25"  and should be "_PTake = _PTake + 50" and "_PTake = _PTake + 25". It's broke player income for Opfor is always 25 no matter how many towns and grids you  have. I'm fix this and all works fine now)

And i found another small bug, if you play for opfor, you don't have action "OPEN TABLET" near barracks, only "Command Interface" in esc menu. This bug i'm not fixed yet)

Sorry for bad english, it's not my native language.

• Like 1

If someone wants to play in Dissension 1.5 with many mods(some with custom configs), small bugfixes in Dissension itself(like opfor income) and extended vechicle list for rhs, welcome to my server, it's not 24/7 because running on same PC as client, but we have headless client on my friend's PC, so the perfomance is acceptable. Unfortunately i don't have static ip. Currently it's 176.104.204.180 but it can change. You can find my server by name "HeadStone Dissension server"
Required and suggested mod collections:
https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=1590368180
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1614892439
Please don't abuse debug console and spectator mode, they are available for all in testing purposes)

just tried 1.5. i see, battle system have been changed. but cannot understand how it works now. 

started new game. got first objective to capture nearest town. our side have been defeated. after that, all friendly AI units just despawned and no more new objectives has been appeared. 

will there no persistent AI groups in this version of Dissension? how to make progress in this version? have i to collect supply crates and wait for next orders from our comm?

On 1/7/2019 at 3:23 AM, velzevul said:

just tried 1.5. i see, battle system have been changed. but cannot understand how it works now. 

started new game. got first objective to capture nearest town. our side have been defeated. after that, all friendly AI units just despawned and no more new objectives has been appeared. 

will there no persistent AI groups in this version of Dissension? how to make progress in this version? have i to collect supply crates and wait for next orders from our comm?

Take a look at the map, it will offer you all the information you need. Simply attack or defend - the AI commander will provide you with a new target after a set period of cool-down and clean up.

The "behind-the-screen" system can be boiled down to a single question: "Are we doing something important?"

If the AI are not actively doing something worth the FPS/CPU cycles, they are cached. So, if AI group tasked with taking a town eventually runs out of tickets and loses they will be cached and retasked for something later. This helps FPS tremendously.

If an AI squad is spawned by Opfor to hunt down Blufor players, it will remain on the map until it is killed, or until the commander decides they are not "worth it" anymore (This can happen if their numbers are cut down drastically, become stuck, or other conditions).

This is for long-term stability mostly. However, this means battles are a lot more intense and focused. 

Sometimes the commander gets off to a bad start, in these cases I'd just recommend restarting the mission.

On 09.01.2019 at 2:14 AM, genesis92x said:

Take a look at the map, it will offer you all the information you need. Simply attack or defend - the AI commander will provide you with a new target after a set period of cool-down and clean up.

The "behind-the-screen" system can be boiled down to a single question: "Are we doing something important?"

If the AI are not actively doing something worth the FPS/CPU cycles, they are cached. So, if AI group tasked with taking a town eventually runs out of tickets and loses they will be cached and retasked for something later. This helps FPS tremendously.

If an AI squad is spawned by Opfor to hunt down Blufor players, it will remain on the map until it is killed, or until the commander decides they are not "worth it" anymore (This can happen if their numbers are cut down drastically, become stuck, or other conditions).

This is for long-term stability mostly. However, this means battles are a lot more intense and focused. 

Sometimes the commander gets off to a bad start, in these cases I'd just recommend restarting the mission.

Thank you for the detailed explanation, Genesis. seems, i found cause of my instant defeats at start.

it is (again) parameter "Enable Pause Capable Game: No Players = Paused AI". it prevents resources income, if disabled.

must say, battles, really, became more dense and hot. integrated FFE works fine - sides shells each other mercilessly. :))

but it is very hard for me to get used to this caching. "Are they doing something important?" - yes, of course! they are creating battle atmosphere around me! feeling of largescale campaign on capturing island! :))

please, do not consider my words as criticism. i understand the reasons of this solution. it is just a wish "if there was a compromise". i`m enjoying your mission and its features very much. thank you for continuing working and polishing it for us.

and have some questions:

1. i noticed in v1.2 that resources distribution on map doesn't saved after restarting server and continuing previous game. have it been fixed in v1.5?

2. how can i reset/change my level/money data?  now, i have 48lvl and 1.00008e+009$. :)) it is very useful for testing purposes, but sometimes you want to start a completely new game. :)

3. sorry, i asked about array sorter already and you already fixed "doubling bug" in it. but there is vanilla stuff (equip, units, vehs, weapons, static wpns) in lists, when RHS gametype enabled. is it possible to blacklist it all, when playing with RHS assets?