Sign in to follow this  
ultimategamerdobert

Smallpox

does iraq actually have a chance of spreading the disease and does it really kill 30 percent of people who contract it

does it kill young or old people (who is at risk the most)?

You're not breaking out, are you? confused.gif

I just hope it can't be transmitted over forum posts. wow.gif

Damn it Avon, I was eating mad.gif

Smallpox was wiped out.

It only exists in some top secret and well guarded US and Russian laboratories and will never see the light again.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Smallpox is caused by the variola virus that emerged in human populations thousands of years ago. Except for laboratory stockpiles, the variola virus has been eliminated<span id='postcolor'>

xmas.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ex-RoNiN @ Dec. 17 2002,23:11)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Smallpox was wiped out.<span id='postcolor'>

"The last naturally occurring case in the world was in Somalia in 1977." - Center for Disease Control

Many countries are susupected of having it though, such as Iraq and North Korea.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (edc @ Dec. 17 2002,23:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Many countries are susupected of having it though, such as Iraq and North Korea.<span id='postcolor'>

A pox upon them! mad.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (edc @ Dec. 17 2002,22:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Many countries are susupected of having it though, such as Iraq and North Korea.<span id='postcolor'>

I suspect your country have it too.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Goeth[kyllikki] @ Dec. 18 2002,03:28)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"><span id='postcolor'>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">A pox upon them! mad.gif<span id='postcolor'>

lol xmas.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I suspect your country have it too.<span id='postcolor'>

We may be one of the countrys that has smallpox for research use, but definately not in weapon form I don't think. If anything we'd use it to make a syrum.

The CDC most likely has some to help create vaccines and other drugs that can fight it.

If I were you I'd be more nervous about Vx and Anthrax, all the other types of bio/chem weapons they can throw at us, at least according to CNN. biggrin.gif

I believe that I heard something about putting devices in subways and other crowded places that could detect nerve gas and some other gases and warn people.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">throw<span id='postcolor'>

is the right expression. Maybe in a bottle as they all except Russia and maybe North Korea have no carrier systems for these kind of weapons that would range that far.

Note : Have a look on how bio´s or chem´s need to be spread. Putting them into an envelope doesnt start mass killings. These substances need a carrier to work effective or at least need to be modified like the recent US modification on Anthrax.

US-scientist transferred a Gen of Anthrax to E. coli. The stomach bacterias are now deadly and spread very easy due to their implanted resistance to acids. Especially genetic mutalized Virusses are a speciality of US science today. For sure the only do defensive science...

As I mentioned in another thread the only 2 nations that are developing mutalized and really dangerouse virusses and biological weapons today are Russia and the US. Russia draws back more and more cause they lack money for the research, so US is competing with US to build up defense against their own produced virusses  and mutalized biological weapons. Funny ? I think not.

EDIT : I think I remember right. The anthrax posts that killed some in US after 9/11 were US origin. This had been proven. The anthrax came from US labs.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ Dec. 17 2002,22:16)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ex-RoNiN @ Dec. 17 2002,23:11)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Smallpox was wiped out.<span id='postcolor'>

"The last naturally occurring case in the world was in Somalia in 1977." - Center for Disease Control<span id='postcolor'>

And one paragraph down on that same website, you have my quote about smallpox having been wiped off the face of the earth xmas.gif

The threat of dying by smallpox is as big as dying from a Klingon invasion xmas.gif

But you may not know you've been infected until several days later.  The vaccine needs to be given within four days of exposure to still work.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ex-RoNiN @ Dec. 17 2002,23:53)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The threat of dying by smallpox is as big as dying from a Klingon invasion xmas.gif<span id='postcolor'>

oh really? let me talk to my superior when i take my reports about this weak planet next earth year.

tounge.gif

anyways, i think this is a bit of overcast. like anthrax attack after 9-11, if something suspicious is happening, we can find out what is going.

but then again, i'm proponent of gov't supplied healthcare. so giving small pox vaccine to everyone seems ok with me. smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The threat of dying by smallpox is as big as dying from a Klingon invasion xmas.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Oh great, now I have to worry about THAT. tounge.gif

LOL

I wouldn't mind being vaccinated.

This brings up an almost off-topic question. But what kind of vaccinations have you had to get as a soldier going overseas?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FSPilot @ Dec. 18 2002,05:31)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">But what kind of vaccinations have you had to get as a soldier going overseas?<span id='postcolor'>

VD.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RalphWiggum @ Dec. 18 2002,01:24)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ex-RoNiN @ Dec. 17 2002,23:53)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The threat of dying by smallpox is as big as dying from a Klingon invasion xmas.gif<span id='postcolor'>

oh really? let me talk to my superior when i take my reports about this weak planet next earth year.<span id='postcolor'>

He said "Klingon" - not "Wiggum"! mad.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ex-RoNiN @ Dec. 18 2002,00:53)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">And one paragraph down on that same website, you have my quote about smallpox having been wiped off the face of the earth<span id='postcolor'>

I wasn't arguing. smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ Dec. 18 2002,06:30)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ex-RoNiN @ Dec. 18 2002,00:53)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">And one paragraph down on that same website, you have my quote about smallpox having been wiped off the face of the earth<span id='postcolor'>

I wasn't arguing. smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

In that case - beg your pardon xmas.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ex-RoNiN @ Dec. 18 2002,11:55)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ Dec. 18 2002,06:30)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ex-RoNiN @ Dec. 18 2002,00:53)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">And one paragraph down on that same website, you have my quote about smallpox having been wiped off the face of the earth<span id='postcolor'>

I wasn't arguing. smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

In that case - beg your pardon<span id='postcolor'>

All is forgiven.

queenmoey_night_sword.jpg

The problem with vaccinating everyone against smallpox is that for every million people who take the vaccine, as many as 52 will develop life-threatening ailments, and roughly two will die. So vaccinating for example the whole of U.S. would produce approximately 600 deaths and 15000 cases of life-threatening symptoms. As a reference point, compare this to the WTC death toll (3000).

The easiest way to distribute smallpox is to vaccinate a small number of volunteers and then infect these people with smallpox. These carriers can then shuttle around the world in airliners, sneezing a lot. After completing the task, the carriers can just go on with their lives, since they will not die (because they were vaccinated). However, all those people they flew with will go on with their lives, infect everybody they associate with and so on... Smallpox is nasty.

As for is smallpox eradicated? Eight of 69 Iraqi POWs screened during the Gulf War were immune to smallpox. Since the vaccine works for only four to five years, this suggests they had been inoculated relatively recently. Now why were they inoculated, if smallpox has been killed off from the world?

Furthermore, storing smallpox is so easy that even individual persons (who knows how many nutcases there are?) can have taken samples and stored them when smallpox was a common disease just like people nowadays collect computer viruses.

Accidental storage is also possible. A few years ago a finnish diver dove to a shipwreck and rescued bottles of wine. He drank it, after all it was a really well developed brand biggrin.gif. Unfortunately he got "black death" from the wine. Fatality, micro-organism wins.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Many countries are susupected of having it though, such as Iraq and North Korea.

<span id='postcolor'>

US And european countries have smallpox too.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">We may be one of the countrys that has smallpox for research use, but definately not in weapon form I don't think. If anything we'd use it to make a syrum.

<span id='postcolor'>

Yep, you are one of those countries...

I'm sure it'll be used by an allied country sooner or later. That's the way grown ups make this world as fucked as possible.

The syrum already exists i think...