Osiedle

Server requirements (classic Altis-Life)

Hello! For some time my friends were thinking about creating a classic, old-school altis-life server, without ons of unnecessary scripts, maybe with some car mods, but not many, to keep it simple and lightweight. Renting a server is a little expensive, as they are aiming for 64 slots. I have technical skills, but I'm completely unaware of ArmA 3 server requirements. They are group of high-school students, so as you can imagine I'm aiming for budget solutions. I need a web server for myself, so we're planning to build our own machine.

Now, here's the question - what are the server requirements for 64slots altis-life server with only a couple of mods (5-7)?I was thinking about getting an older, used server, or building one. What do you think about the following configuration?
CPU - 2x Intel Xeon x5550
RAM - 24GB DDR3 ECC
Disk - 32GB SSD

Another one I was thinking about (cheaper one) is this one:
CPU: Intel Xeon e5430
RAM - 24GB DDR2 ECC
Disk - 32GB SSD

What are ArmA 3 server network bandwith requirements? Will 250Mbit/s down and 20 Mbit/s up be enough?

What do you think? What would you suggest? Thanks

Edit: Just found out that i have an Intel Core i5 2500 lying around, as well as 8GB DDR3 1333MHz RAM. Maybe this will do?

On 18.6.2018 at 5:44 PM, Osiedle said:

CPU - 2x Intel Xeon x5550

Complete overkill on the price. And mostly useless for Arma.

Will 250Mbit/s down and 20 Mbit/s up be enough?

Server's generally need more up than down. And 20Mbit/s sounds a little low.

Just found out that i have an Intel Core i5 2500 lying around, as well as 8GB DDR3 1333MHz RAM. Maybe this will do?

Yes it would. The 8GB ram will probably be the bigger issue.

In general. Arma likes high CPU single-threaded performance. Meaning newer CPU's with not many cores. 4 cores are enough if you also run other smaller stuff like a Teamspeak server on the side.
Also ram speed is important. But it doesn't matter as much on a server as on a client.