brightcandle

CF_BAI - Dynamic AI skill adjustment for better balancing

6 minutes ago, kremator said:

Thanks @brightcandle.  Is this mod desgined to replace ASR_AI or VCOM_AI or perhaps run alongside them ?

Running alongside them is the most likely scenario, this isn't a replacement for those mods, it does a completely different thing. ASR_AI or VCOM_AI add different behaviours so that the AI on a micro level takes better actions, but they don't solve the imbalance in the game with woodland where to the players the AI seem to gain supervision and accuracy compared to urban or more open area combat. CF_BAI focusses on that balance aspect, it doesn't update vanilla behaviours in any way, it just relies on the vanilla mechanics for the skills and makes them change dynamically for the circumstances.

There is a bit of overlap with regards to the skill setup as CF_BAI can set the unit subskills and that is something ASR_AI does as well. ASR_AI has a much more sophisticated system that allows changing it for factions and class of unit and CF_BAI simply sets all units the same. Using fixed subskills across all units and factions while you dial in your skill settings might be beneficial to get the right average values faster before then returning to using ASR_AI and the various range of skills.

My group runs ASR_AI with CF_BAI (and TPWCAS), they are fully compatible out of the box.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Thanks SO much.

My squad loves mods like this which improve the game's realism without breaking missions.

They improve the immersiveness so much that it's surprising that BI don't include it by default.

Any chance you could release on Steam Workshop like TPWCAS and ASR AI3?

This sounds very cool but I'm also interested about the dynamic changing of skill settings in relation to running alongside vcom which also adjust things like accuracy sway ect on the fly during the mission.

On 16/06/2018 at 10:08 AM, domokun said:

Thanks SO much.

My squad loves mods like this which improve the game's realism without breaking missions.

They improve the immersiveness so much that it's surprising that BI don't include it by default.

Any chance you could release on Steam Workshop like TPWCAS and ASR AI3?

Here you are: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1415343823

• Thanks 1

On 17/06/2018 at 7:22 AM, SnakeDocc said:

This sounds very cool but I'm also interested about the dynamic changing of skill settings in relation to running alongside vcom which also adjust things like accuracy sway ect on the fly during the mission.

I will look into how VCOM does this, if it adjusts skills then the two mods will likely fight to set it depending on how VCOM wrote it. I may be able to support VCOM_AI's adjustments but no promises yet.

• Thanks 1

On 17/06/2018 at 7:22 AM, SnakeDocc said:

Maybe I am not finding the latest code base but according to https://github.com/genesis92x/VcomAI-3.0

it appears that VCOM AI uses a similar mechanism to CF_BAI for setting the units base skills (and indeed similar to ASR_AI although ASR_AI remains the most sophisticated)  and doesn't do any dynamic updates after that initial setup. So VCOM_AI is compatible in the same way that ASR_AI is, either use VCOM settings to set the AI subskills, in which case you should leave CF_BAI maximums on 0.00 (the default) or just use CF_BAI's maximum skill settings which are a bit easier to tweak since they are in a nice menu and can be updated mid game if need be.

• Thanks 1

Released v1.3.1

Fixed a bug where the maximum skills were not corrected retrieved resulting in lots of script errors in some circumstances.

• Like 4

On 6/15/2018 at 6:35 PM, brightcandle said:

You can read more about why we made this mod and how it works along with a changelog on our website.

Anyone else getting this when trying to connect to above link?

www.charliefoxtrotops.eu uses an invalid security certificate. The certificate is only valid for www.charliefoxtrotops.com (Error code: ssl_error_bad_cert_domain)

3 hours ago, KeyCat said:

Anyone else getting this when trying to connect to above link?

Sorry we moved to a .com this week and missed the links here on BI forums.

• Like 1

Love this addon, is there anyway you can implement skill adjustments for Weather like heavy rain and more importantly fog? Thanks for all you do.

A major update today. I have added 2 new modules to CF_BAI.

The first is detect which runs a series of vision tests taking into account the environmental conditions, the AIs situation and the players situation and combines it all into a chance to spot and gain an amount of knowledge. AI can potentially spot players over 900m away without optic assistance and potentially many KM's away with optics.  This is a workaround for the 1.84 especially but also every release of the game since Apex that has reduced the AIs maximum unaware spotting distance to a very unrealistic 320m on maximum spotting skill. AI will look at you when they gain knowledge but it is otherwise the only way to see it working is via the units knowsAbout.

The second module is suppression. The suppression module takes the existing suppression value of the unit and then converts this into an impact on the units subskills so their shooting and spotting are all reduced by configurable amounts. In addition, the default suppression value decays within a second once shots have stopped and this is far too short so the system has a hold and decay that can be up to about a minute before the unit is fully recovered from being suppressed. This isn't quite as widely detecting as TPWCAS but it also has nice low CPU impact and contains no behavior just skill reductions allowing ASR_AI and VCOM AI to do what they do in response to contact.

Both modules are still a bit experimental as we haven't run them for more than a few weeks and there are some flaws with the detect module that are already known that need do addressing (details on the website and on the Steam workshop). Normally we would test and develop for much longer but I think what we have is already very usable and important to game balance especially with 1.88 breaking TPWCAS, so I decided to push out a release that we believe is bug-free but far from perfect in its implementation right now.

For other mod makers that might want to do subskill dynamic adjustments, we have also included an API consisting of 4 functions that allow setting subskills without impacting on other mods that also adjust it or for setting the units base skill. I am not so sure the way this will be utilized is via CF_BAI but we now have an approach that CF_BAI uses internally which is exposed for feedback. The best place for it is likely CBA if other mod makers want to use it.

• Like 5

This sounds really awesome and well thought through. Is your increased spotting distance configurable ?

15 hours ago, old_painless said:

This sounds really awesome and well thought through. Is your increased spotting distance configurable ?

Not yet, but it will be in the future. Only the player side is currently done and I need settings for the AI, environmental and player to AI tests.

• Like 1

Thanks for the update, It seems that this is a must have mod and I am looking forward to test it! 

@brightcandle What factors impact the spotting distance? Time of day? Weather? Cover? Troop Skill? Fatigue? Suppression? Target speed? Target posture? Target size? Target number?

17 minutes ago, domokun said:

@brightcandle What factors impact the spotting distance? Time of day? Weather? Cover? Troop Skill? Fatigue? Suppression? Target speed? Target posture? Target size? Target number?

Everything is a visionTest, where a visiontest is 2 numbers, the first is the probability (0-1) that the unit will see and the second is how much knowledge they would gain if they did see it (also 0-1 mapped to 0-4 for reveal/knowsAbout purposes).

For the environment, the tests are dayNight, rain and fog.

For the player, it is stance, movement and foilage

For the AI, it is awareness, binoculars, optics, nightvision and spotTime

For an AI looking to a player it is existingKnowledge, facing, distance and a ray cast

• Like 2

I came across this mod the other day and it sounds great. I wanted to be able to run this on just the server. After reading the website

CF_BAI can run on a server or locally and if its on both it will only run on the server when playing online

I was under the impression it could be server only and not require players/client to have the mod loaded, but

when I tested this I kept getting an error saying I needed cf_bai_main on connected client. The mission ran fine other than the error message. I have no idea if the mod was actually working or not

Should I be able to see changes in an AI's subskills as his surroundings change? Is this a good way to verify that the mod is working correctly?