PSYKO_nz

Bi Respawn Module, rename (text), remarker, recolour troubles

'hi there,

I'm trying to cut down marker clutter in my  missions and I have struck a bit of a conundrum (5 coffees today, big words are no problem)

I currently have a marker set up with the New Zealand flag and the text 'HMNZS  Kaiwhiwhi', I have the standard BI respawn module placed nearby and set up as the main respawn point. the respawn point is set up correctly and has been functioning flawlessly for the last 20 missions. 

my problem is that I want to make the respawn marker do both jobs, so be the respawn point and also the 'HMNZS  Kaiwhiwhi' marker with NZ flag.

I first tried these in the init of the marker...

"Kaiwhiwhi_Spawn" setMarkerColor "Default";
"Kaiwhiwhi_Spawn" setMarkerType "mas_ukl_add_Marker_uk";
"Kaiwhiwhi_Spawn" setMarkerText "You are here.";

...no joy

so I moved them over to the init.sqf, here is where it gets weird..

it does not start labels correctly but after a few seconds the init.sqf gets to the line and it works! perfectly! (flag marker and text in white)

for one second

then it flashes back to the blue circle with the x (the standard infantry respawn marker) and the text, except it's in blue.... not the idea here                    

I thought it may just be in the editor that this happens so I chucked it on our dedicated server to check...

the marker doesn't show up at all!!!!

what am I doing wrong here?

I want to have the flag and the text is the marker for the respawn point from the start. so when players load into the map screen they see it and it stays there all mission, the standard bi module has no options for this kind of set up

any ideas?

1 hour ago, PSYKO_nz said:

I first tried these in the init of the marker...

"Kaiwhiwhi_Spawn" setMarkerColor "Default";
"Kaiwhiwhi_Spawn" setMarkerType "mas_ukl_add_Marker_uk";
"Kaiwhiwhi_Spawn" setMarkerText "You are here.";

...no joy

Markers don't have init fields. Just variable name and display text.

Respawn markers must begin with the string "respawn," though you can get around this using BIS_fnc_addRespawnPosition.

that's weird because the BI Module that I'm using has an init, and it has worked flawlessly in the like this for 20 missions now (minus the inti text that's in there - that is what I'm trying to get to work)

xWqUlMU.jpg

here are some pics of the issue, I tried to put a gif up but that didn't work, so here are 3 pictures, the problem happens within a second (after the first change)

this is how it looks from startup (its the lowest  marker)
ChSp1Rm.jpg

then when the missions init.sqf (the same lines of code are in the mission init.sqm) fires it looks like this (this is the way I want it to look) as you can see the lowest marker changes to resemble the other marker

h0ESZut.jpg

then one second (maybe just under 1 second) this happens 

IWrsUaM.jpg

it reverts to the normal marker but retains the text

I'm buggered if I know whats going on or what to do

Any more ideas?

You are using the terms "module" and "marker" interchangeably, which makes your question difficult to follow. Also, your pics are not displaying. Use Imgur/Lensdump/etc. for free image hosting.

As I understand it, you simply want your flag marker to be the respawn position. Use the function I linked in my previous reply.

thanks for letting me know about the images, I have uploaded through imgur, you should be able to see them now, the pictures will help to explain what I'm trying to do.

ill try agan to explain it,

i do not want the flag marker to be there, i want to use the standard bi respwan module (shown in the first picture) and the "marker" it creates on the map (in mission) to be the flag marker 

You don't need the respawn module at all.

I have placed exactly one playable unit and one flag marker. No other objects/modules/triggers/etc.

Description.ext:

respawn = 3;
respawnDelay = 10;
respawnDialog = 0;
respawnTemplatesWest[] = {"MenuPosition"};
respawnOnStart = 0;

InitServer.sqf:

[west, "myRespawnMarker", "Respawn Here!"] call BIS_fnc_addRespawnPosition;

Qogfr2a.jpg

ris8UFU.jpg

ok interesting, but how does that cope with the hight change? when I used a respawn set up like your example the units would spawn in the water, with the bi module it lets you adjust the hight and snap the module to the floor that they are spawning on

You could provide the function with a full XYZ array instead. Read the page linked above.

cool, ill take a crack at it. i allready have a mobile respawn point in the game using the normal set up you showed, will doing this effect that?

it still begs the question, what is happening with labelling and changing the icon that it works for a second and then goes to a different look completely

2 minutes ago, PSYKO_nz said:

i allready have a mobile respawn point in the game using the normal set up you showed, will doing this effect that?

You can add your MHQ as respawn point using the same function. You could do that a couple of ways, as well - directly, as an object provided to the function, or indirectly, as a marker that follows the MHQ.

we use a slightly different system, through some tricky sqf's we have managed to make a "respawn tent" it is a tent that can be packed and unpacked and moved around, the respawn marker stays at the last location the tent was placed until it is placed again